Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

17 minutes ago, 83owl said:

How can you line them up when we didn’t even know what league we would be playing in this season? Add to that nobody knows what the financial situation is regarding covid.

You can line up whoever you want, regardless of both issues you’ve raised. It’s the clubs responsibility to make sure they’re realistic targets.

if we were worried regarding league, points etc, at least do what we can to make sure we start the season with enough strikers to play the formation of choice. Our solution to that is to play Reach as a striker.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 83owl said:

How can you line them up when we didn’t even know what league we would be playing in this season? Add to that nobody knows what the financial situation is regarding covid.

You make 2 plans for each scenario.Its called managing.Its not rocket science.The excuses for Monk and whoever at the club is some times astounding.

Get rid of 4 attackers end of contracts,and have none lined up to come in early for pre season...???...

UTO

• Like 4

The problem is not that we have not completed our recruitment, I don’t have an issue with waiting for the right players, assuming that is, that the right players eventually turn up. 
No the problem is, that we are looking to start the season without a centre forward, a position that is as much integral to the way we play, as a goalkeeper would be. As someone mentioned on here, would we start the season without a single recognised goalkeeper, even if we’d lined up an outstanding one for the end of the window? If we have our sights set on someone to lead the line, and we can’t get him until October, that’s fair enough, but at least bring in his understudy. We are surely not going to go through a season relying on just the one target man? We can’t even turn to the development squad for a short term fix, because we haven’t recruited there either. This is what is infuriating people, not that our recruitment is incomplete, but because we have left ourselves with nobody to fill, what is a vitally important role. 

• Like 2

I think we need to be realistic.

The players that left (strikers) needed to go due to our financial situation.

With possibly the exception of AN who a lot of fans wanted out and it probably was time to move on for his sake as well (I would still have kept him though).

It was never going to be easy to be easy to recruit the required players within a tighter budget, with a much harder transfer market and with -12 points hanging over us. I can only assume COVID will have further destroyed us financially and will continue to do so for the rest of this season.

We are where we are, Monk has a huge task to turn this round.

I doubt that any fans are complacent, there is a real risk of relegation. We can’t spend our way out of it without creating the same problem in future years. I think the best we can hope for is scraping our way throughout the season to staying up by 1 point. Or our appeal reducing the deduction. Either way the first four games won’t dictate our final position.
The club for me should be offering Westward to everyone, and probably trying to ship out a couple more, survival is important but righting the financial mess we have got ourselves into is also key else we will be back here again in future seasons.
Not much left for us fans to do other than support the team and crucially not get on the players backs after the first 4 games, if at all. It’s going to be hard and there are no easy answers.

I don’t think there is any point calling for Monks head. We have invested in his team and staff just need to see it through. And what decent manager in their right mind would join us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

You make 2 plans for each scenario.Its called managing.Its not rocket science.The excuses for Monk and whoever at the club is some times astounding.

Get rid of 4 attackers end of contracts,and have none lined up to come in early for pre season...???...

UTO

Theres no way we were ever going to get a list of 6-8 players all scouted, all negotiated with clubs/agents ready for the start of the season. That would be one list of players for if we stayed up and covid has no effect on finances, another list if we stayed up and covid does have an effect on finances, another list if we were relegated but still allowed crowds in and another list for relegated but not allowed crowds back. Add onto this that the clubs we could be negotiating with would also face these problems but you think theres Potentially 30+ players all sat there chomping at the bit ready to join us it aint going to happen. 

Fact is we arent an attractive proposition for any players. We have no money, no chance of promotion, not in a particularly attractive part of the country to live in (for a footballer) our days of paying high wages are gone so agents wont be pushing their players our way, a chairman who (allegedly) micro manages every aspect of the club who will have most likely spent most of the last few months outside the UK. We never started a season  with players in ready to go before the first game when we were throwing money around so quite why you think this season would be any different is beyond me.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Quick read up on Zohore and West Brom don't rate him at all and fans want him off the books.🤣😑

He is a big unit, and warnock got a good tune out of him playing direct as we will be.  WBA tap it about, not his sort of team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Theres no way we were ever going to get a list of 6-8 players all scouted, all negotiated with clubs/agents ready for the start of the season. That would be one list of players for if we stayed up and covid has no effect on finances, another list if we stayed up and covid does have an effect on finances, another list if we were relegated but still allowed crowds in and another list for relegated but not allowed crowds back. Add onto this that the clubs we could be negotiating with would also face these problems but you think theres Potentially 30+ players all sat there chomping at the bit ready to join us it aint going to happen. 

Fact is we arent an attractive proposition for any players. We have no money, no chance of promotion, not in a particularly attractive part of the country to live in (for a footballer) our days of paying high wages are gone so agents wont be pushing their players our way, a chairman who (allegedly) micro manages every aspect of the club who will have most likely spent most of the last few months outside the UK. We never started a season  with players in ready to go before the first game when we were throwing money around so quite why you think this season would be any different is beyond me.

Coventry don’t seem to be having those problems?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

The season starts on Saturday.  We could already be effectively down by October if we still have negative points at that stage.

Unless you know of some way of postponing our fixtures until the transfer window closes.

Our squad currently isn't fit to be competitive.

FF should have been sold after he refused to get on the coach to Norwich.  That mistake was then compounded by giving him a bumper 4 year contract on big wages.

An error I criticised at the time.

Only cheap hookers go down in October

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

26 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Coventry don’t seem to be having those problems?

Was pretty obvious they were going up well before the end of the season so that’s half the job straight away. 2 of their signings were also on loan to them last season so they may have been loan to buys upon promotion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1