Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

There’s still time add some striking quality to our squad, I have to believe that.

I just hope we aren’t sat here when the window closes discussing the irony of waiting a year to get a highly regarded striking coach on board only to give him next to nothing to work with........

I still ask myself if the people running this club really can make the transition away from calamitous mismanagement and start to move this club forward with some vision.

Of course, positive change we are not yet privy to may have taken place, we will know soon enough.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Royal_D said:

And am sure GM and club are aware there needs to be more 

Pateince is required, the way the window runs into October leaves clubs like us who aren’t willing to/can’t chuck money about in the que 

The season starts on Saturday.  We could already be effectively down by October if we still have negative points at that stage.

Unless you know of some way of postponing our fixtures until the transfer window closes.

Our squad currently isn't fit to be competitive.

4 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

There was interest in FF before the Mansfield issue. That cost us a serious amount of money. 

FF should have been sold after he refused to get on the coach to Norwich.  That mistake was then compounded by giving him a bumper 4 year contract on big wages.

An error I criticised at the time.

Edited by Westfield Owl
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

The season starts on Saturday.  We could already be effectively down by October if we still have negative points at that stage.

Unless you know of some way of postponing our fixtures until the transfer window closes.

Our squad currently isn't fit to be competitive.

FF should have been sold after he refused to get on the coach to Norwich.  That mistake was then compounded by giving him a bumper 4 year contract on big wages.

An error I criticised at the time.

Not to Derby for 7m though. 

59 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Do we even have enough games before October to get out of negative points ?

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We play four games before the transfer window closes.

That we have supporters who appear to believe that if we don't win all four then we're effectively relegated is baffling, isn't it?!

They are four difficult games, even with a decent side, i can see us losing all four with our present squad. If our rivals pick up three or four points in those four games, we could be 15 or sixteen points adrift. That would give us an even bigger mountain to climb. I don’t understand the complacency amongst our fans.

• Like 2

Jacques Maghoma, the winger who left Birmingham City after five years earlier this summer, is being linked with moves to Luton Town and Championship new boys Wycombe Wanderers.

Maghoma, who is 32, scored 21 goals in 180 appearances for Blues and proved to be a real bargain of a signing having arrived on a free under Gary Rowett in 2015.

We’re a little further forward recruitment wise now to where I expected us to be. Never expected us to have the striker or two we require by the start of the season.

Brown and Dunkley look sound bits of business. Both could easily be important players in their respective positions.

FDB is primarily one for the future and Kachunga is an extremely low risk signing on a year’s deal. I wouldn’t have signed Windass but I think both Monk and the player wanted the deal very much so it was always likely to happen?

I don’t expect us to do much more business until the back of the window and the subsequent two week domestic one. 

We just have to hope we’re not already a lost cause by the beginning of October?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

We’re a little further forward recruitment wise now to where I expected us to be. Never expected us to have the striker or two we require by the start of the season.

Brown and Dunkley look sound bits of business. Both could easily be important players in their respective positions.

FDB is primarily one for the future and Kachunga is an extremely low risk signing on a year’s deal. I wouldn’t have signed Windass but I think both Monk and the player wanted the deal very much so it was always likely to happen?

I don’t expect us to do much more business until the back of the window and the subsequent two week domestic one. 

We just have to hope we’re not already a lost cause by the beginning of October?

Id have liked us to sign a few strikers considering we only have 1 at the club and, the formation of choice seems to be 352. 

I completely understand the market is competitive, we need low risk signings etc but, why have a complete clear out if the players aren’t already lined up to come through the door? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

They are four difficult games, even with a decent side, i can see us losing all four with our present squad. If our rivals pick up three or four points in those four games, we could be 15 or sixteen points adrift. That would give us an even bigger mountain to climb. I don’t understand the complacency amongst our fans.

It's not complacency, just realism.

As you say, we start with four difficult games. The idea that if we don't win all four games we're effectively relegated is hyperbolic nonsense.

The club know they need more players - that's a matter of public record - but transfer negotiations are rarely a simple process. 

Between the player themselves, their agent, other clubs competing for their signature, the selling or loaning club potentially needing a replacement in before signing off on the deal...there can be lots of variables beyond our control.

I'm sure the club would rather have all their targets through the door already, but that's just not realistic, I'm afraid.

We could get bodies through the door this morning if that's all that matters, but there's no point making signings for signings' sake; we need to sign the right players to give ourselves the best chance over what's going to be a very long and very difficult season. If that means waiting for all the pieces to fall into place, then so be it. We don't have any other choice.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Id have liked us to sign a few strikers considering we only have 1 at the club and, the formation of choice seems to be 352. 

I completely understand the market is competitive, we need low risk signings etc but, why have a complete clear out if the players aren’t already lined up to come through the door? 

How can you line them up when we didn’t even know what league we would be playing in this season? Add to that nobody knows what the financial situation is regarding covid.

Edited by 83owl
  • Like 1