Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Just now, StudentOwl said:

Technically yes... I think metaphorically speaking they're in a completely different league to us. Think it's only a matter of time before the metaphor reaches reality too...

Could have said that about us four years ago.  They could easily go the same way we did. Got an expensive stadium to pay for now aswell.

34 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Wonder how far back you'd have to go for us to have raised £33m in transfers combined?

Good job we're showing the likes of Brentford how to do business isn't it?

thats probably the some of our outgoings over the last 15 or 20 years

The most frightening thing that’s happening atm is the apathy, most of the fan base is now that cheesed off we’re just rolling along not even bothered anymore? Out of 9 of us that sat together 3 yrs ago down to 3 season ticket holders and one of us now comes when he feels like it ( not a lot since Xmas) and same with other groups around us? I know Chansiri will be pissed off with everything but so are the fans, just a rudderless boat sailing towards league one atm ? Really hope we got a couple of good ones lined up but can’t help thinking it’s just not gona happen 😩

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Could have said that about us four years ago.  They could easily go the same way we did. Got an expensive stadium to pay for now aswell.

How many years will they have to pay back that £75m though? 25 years? Say £15m from the Watkins transfer goes towards stadium repayments, then say they get £10m from the sale of Griffin Park and the land... £50m over 25 years. It's a relative pittance per year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mick70 said:

The most frightening thing that’s happening atm is the apathy, most of the fan base is now that cheesed off we’re just rolling along not even bothered anymore? Out of 9 of us that sat together 3 yrs ago down to 3 season ticket holders and one of us now comes when he feels like it ( not a lot since Xmas) and same with other groups around us? I know Chansiri will be pissed off with everything but so are the fans, just a rudderless boat sailing towards league one atm ? Really hope we got a couple of good ones lined up but can’t help thinking it’s just not gona happen 😩

What despite Neil’s endless PR exercises

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

33 million for Watkins, bloody hell that is ridiculous money. 

Those are the rewards you can achieve by investing in younger talent Had we done that, instead of spaffing all that money on Fletcher, Rhodes and Winnall, we might have been in a similar position The only time we even tried to venture down that path, was when we signed Joao, and no surprise that he returned us a decent profit, whereas we’ll be giving the others away. However, yes it is ridiculous money though

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Group of 7 season ticket holders i go with is now down to two. Sign of the apathy surrounding the whole club.

Edited by full fathom five
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Group of 7 season ticket holders i go with is now down to two. Sign of the apathy surrounding the whole club.

I gave mine up and even if some change of direction did stir up the intrigue to return and test the waters, it’s too expensive to pay on the gate 🤦‍♂️ 

...away days are better anyway (not that that’s easy without the season ticket) 🤔

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

33 million for Watkins, bloody hell that is ridiculous money. 

Absolutely scandalous money that 

From a club that cheated FFP to get back to the Premier League, and people wonder why there’s so much bitterness towards FFP and the EFL 

5 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Absolutely scandalous money that 

From a club that cheated FFP to get back to the Premier League, and people wonder why there’s so much bitterness towards FFP and the EFL 

Villa’s owners are minted though?

3 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Selling players strikes again, every club seems to have a jewel to sell. Chansiri effectively starting again from scratch. 

and won’t have much resale joy with players like Dunkley, Windass and Kachunga, so we aren’t seemingly learning the lessons

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vulva said:

I’d agree with that, to a point. But they are still in the same league as us. 

I find some of the sneering at Brentford slightly churlish. There are only 3 promotion places available and no matter what your approach, no guarantee of success. They are punching well above their weight and giving themselves the best chance of not only getting to the Premier League (which would be a remarkable achievement for them in itself) but building foundations that have the potential for some long term sustainability at a higher level than they might reasonably expect. By contrast, a lot of clubs seemingly better placed are doing neither of those things.

• Like 5