Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

21 minutes ago, Jim said:

No outgoings and no experienced keeper coming in according to ****.

So in a nutshell he has to get more out of certain players than he did last season plus he needs either Wildsmith or Dawson to suddenly find the form you would associate with a championship standard keeper?

In a nutshell he has 10 games to save his job, if we are still in minus figures by then, for me he has to go to give the new manager any chance of keeping us in the league.

I do not like the manager merry go round but we cannot keep losing games.

Edited by room0035
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

As I’ve said many times, starting the season on minus 12 points is going to put a lot of players off coming to Wednesday and is probably the reason that we are missing out on targets and why it’s taking such a long time for us to rebuild the squad.

But... But ... I thought Bruce said it would take take three or four transfer windows to transform the squad. 

A long time?

A long time is five years like Ferguson at Manure.

Clearly people's expectations do not reflect reality in the slightest.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Where has he been looking for players? Four of the five new signings we have made, have either Wigan or Huddersfield connections, cast the net further afield FFS

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=Sturm&spielerposition_id=14&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

There you go 100's of strikers some are too old, some too young, some too expensive but sure there has to be one or two in there that fit our budget and what we want. I am of course assume we are paying more than 2 bags of crisps and a packet of pork scratchings.

14 minutes ago, room0035 said:

In a nutshell he has 10 games to save his job, if we are still in minus figures by then, for me he has to go to give the new manager any chance of keeping us in the league.

I’m a bit split on this. In some ways I think we’ve got a better chance of staying up by keeping the continuity of the management team but if we are in a even more desperate situation come the middle of November then a change might be inevitable?

That said I’m starting to think the arrival of Andrew Hughes and his obvious influence in our recruitment so far suggests he might have been brought in as a potential successor should the worse happen?  Not an ideal situation but he has already said he wants a crack at management and he has worked for some successful managers in the past like Pardew, Wagner and dare I say it Wilder?

Edited by Jim

Just now, room0035 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=Sturm&spielerposition_id=14&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

There you go 100's of strikers some are too old, some too young, some too expensive but sure there has to be one or two in there that fit our budget and what we want. I am of course assume we are paying more than 2 bags of crisps and a packet of pork scratchings.

Well that might be a more relevant issue, yes. Take two of the players we supposedly want, is Monk trying to tell us that Borja Baston wouldn’t come to Sheffield Wednesday because of the points deduction? He went to Malaga FFS, and they were on the verge of going out of business. And the other lad, Kendrah Simmonds, I’m sure he wouldn’t have been put off by our situation. 

8 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

But... But ... I thought Bruce said it would take take three or four transfer windows to transform the squad. 

A long time?

A long time is five years like Ferguson at Manure.

Clearly people's expectations do not reflect reality in the slightest.

So last season we release half of our squad or terminated loans , 2 defenders, 7 midfielders, 5 strikers - we also sold 2 defenders and 1 striker

This summer we have signed 1 defender, 3 midfielder and loaned 1 midfielder 

Can you see the obvious area of worry. 

Football of Fergi era does not exist the average life of a championship manager is about 10 months. You all get 3 or 4 transfer windows if you are doing it on the pitch and Monk currently is not. For me he has 10 games to show if things have changed if not then give the new man 36 games he try and keep us in the league. Then next summer we can rebuild when hopefully Co-Vid is a thing of the past.

It is kind of what I would have done this year get season pro's in on 1 year deals, to keep us in the division then worry about rebuilding next summer, that is of course that we are not yet in more trouble if the club continues to be managed so badly that once again we have more sanctions.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I think how far off the 4th bottom club will be the key....we could win the first 4 games and get back to 0, only to find ourselves 15 points adrift of safety at Xmas

4th bottom has to be our target in the first 16/20 games....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

It is kind of what I would have done this year get season pro's in on 1 year deals, to keep us in the division then worry about rebuilding next summer,

Is that not what is happening with Dunkley, Katchunga, Brown and Windass. Maybe not one year deals but all certainly experienced at higher levels than we current are.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So last season we release half of our squad or terminated loans , 2 defenders, 7 midfielders, 5 strikers - we also sold 2 defenders and 1 striker

This summer we have signed 1 defender, 3 midfielder and loaned 1 midfielder 

Can you see the obvious area of worry. 

Football of Fergi era does not exist the average life of a championship manager is about 10 months. You all get 3 or 4 transfer windows if you are doing it on the pitch and Monk currently is not. For me he has 10 games to show if things have changed if not then give the new man 36 games he try and keep us in the league. Then next summer we can rebuild when hopefully Co-Vid is a thing of the past.

It is kind of what I would have done this year get season pro's in on 1 year deals, to keep us in the division then worry about rebuilding next summer, that is of course that we are not yet in more trouble if the club continues to be managed so badly that once again we have more sanctions.

Quite, the rebuild over several windows is fine, if you are doing things in a sustainable way, 2 or 3 go out, and 2 or 3 come in, gradually improving, and working towards where you want to be. When you decide to cut so many lose at one time, you actually lose the ability to do things in a sustainable way 

There is a need to act now, not in windows to come.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

yes he’s implying he hasn’t bought in the quality he wanted. Saying a new striker might not happen in this window but in the next window is very worrying also. 

I don’t get the negativity on here. When Bruce saI’d it will likely take 4 windows to address squad he wasn’t lambasted as making excuses. The squad needs an overhaul and it’s unlikely all the replacements are available so would you rather we just buy lessor alternatives or await the targets we want, on timescale we can? 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Didn’t take long for the excuses to start coming out. What is he saying? Players won’t come here because they have no confidence in him being able to overcome a 12 point penalty? 

Thats what it sounded like to me. I cant stand Monk i think he is and will continue to take this club backwards.

But we are gonna struggle to get players under the current mess unless we were to get a big manager in, who again wont come under the current mess. Personally i would have sacked him and got a better one, but they would have struggled to sign the quality we need, they would however have been able to get more out of the ones we have. 

We have to stay up somehow. The players we have got will work hard for it. Which is good. However it will be a very hard task.

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Quite, the rebuild over several windows is fine, if you are doing things in a sustainable way, 2 or 3 go out, and 2 or 3 come in, gradually improving, and working towards where you want to be. When you decide to cut so many lose at one time, you actually lose the ability to do things in a sustainable way 

That would be true of any normal club, but we were far from normal. We had a hugely bloated squad, many of which were highly paid and hardly played. 

That is getting fixed, slowly admittedly but certainly is getting fixed. 

I’d wager, despite all those outgoings we are still over budget in terms of total salary. We need to offload some more high earners to be sustainable. Westwood, Rhodes, Bannan Lees and Reach likely draw the best part of £7m a season between them. I think the target is about £13m so unless we shift a few of them it’s really hard to address all the issues whilst remaining in fair play constraints. 

Nothing comes as a shock from his press conference. Points deduction means some players are put off, and with COVID/FFP we’re cutting our cloth accordingly now! Still think he’s playing it down a lot and we’ll get 3/4 more over the line before the window closes (might be loans). 

All the players signed so far are hungry, determined players with a point to prove who’ll put a shift in and not here for a big payday! Quite refreshing really. 

Does anyone know if the appeal will end before window closes? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

There is of course the other issue the club have not done anything about Reach, Lees, Bannan, Westwood, Rhodes, Harris, Van Aken, Odubajo, Pelupessy, Penney, Urhoghide all these players are out of contract in 10 months.

From our strongest 11 that Monk will likely pick 5 or 6 of them will be in the starting 11. 

Do we do it the DC way, wait until next summer and hope Bannan, Reach, Harris, Penney, Lees resign or do we just wing it and hope for the best.

OR 

Do we resign the players we want to keep, then use this transfer window, the loan window and January transfer window to offload the players we don't want or need and save some money on their wages and maybe get a fee or two in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Does anyone else think we will be bringing in a loanee from Leceister

Or is it just me

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/exclusive-sheffield-wednesday-set-take-legal-action-against-leicester-city-over-george-hirst-transfer-1349697

We obviously got Murphy from Newcastle as part of the compo and action taken re. Bruce fuckingoff so who knows?

What with the recent friendly and the links between the clubs (MM, Paixao and Sir Dave) then there might actually be something in that.