Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

For me, it’s less about who we sign and more about the fact that these better be players Monk has identified. Especially having backed him after our wretched post Christmas form.

They must be capable of playing in his chosen style and have the mental attributes we are so deficient in.

We have a track record under DC of collecting individuals. Unsurprisingly, that resulted in a playing squad that looked nothing like a cohesive team.

We absolutely must mould a team that as a bare minimum are difficult to break down and hard to beat. A team that others don’t look forward to playing. Then build on that. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Django said:

Rudy Gestede would be a decent signing imo

Not overly convinced personally, but I'd take him if we can't get anybody else. 

We have a penalty box striker (Rhodes), more of a second striker (Windass), and from his headed goals I'd say a target man (Kachunga). For me we now need pace, somebody to play on the shoulder of a defender. 

Sound like a broken record, but Benik Afobe went out on loan to Bristol City last year. Would be the style of striker we are missing and is still young. Has torn this division a new one before. 

If we can't afford him then Nouha Dicko is probably affordable, and Yaya Sanogo I'd take a chance on, but could be on silly wages having played for the Arse and in Ligue 1. 

Edited by CalmJimmers
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Wolves have a major full back issue at the minute with Jonny out , Doherty just signed for spurs , could be an issue to get Sanderson 

This is a good perspective of why sometimes transfers take a while to be completed, no matter how desperate a team might be to bring someone in. Team A wants a player, but team B has a couple of long term injuries and need to bring in a replacement first, but team C are waiting until they get a loan deal completed for a player who's also trying to get the best deal he can from teams D and E.

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Morepork said:

For me, it’s less about who we sign and more about the fact that these better be players Monk has identified. Especially having backed him after our wretched post Christmas form.

They must be capable of playing in his chosen style and have the mental attributes we are so deficient in.

We have a track record under DC of collecting individuals. Unsurprisingly, that resulted in a playing squad that looked nothing like a cohesive team.

We absolutely must mould a team that as a bare minimum are difficult to break down and hard to beat. A team that others don’t look forward to playing. Then build on that. 

Absolutely spot on mate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Yes absolutely. Brown and Kachunga both signed due to Andrew Hughes influence. Dunkley has been on Downes radar for a while, we tried to sign him last summer I believe before Bruce walked. 

Nice to see we’re changing our approach to transfers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yes absolutely. Brown and Kachunga both signed due to Andrew Hughes influence. Dunkley has been on Downes radar for a while, we tried to sign him last summer I believe before Bruce walked. 

Nice to see we’re changing our approach to transfers. 

I hope paxaio didn’t dare get involved otherwise these signings can be written off 

Now hopefully a proper out and out striker to come next. 

I was against signings like Chris Martin at the start of the window but if we are to be paying sensible wages and a one year deal then there is no issue. 

Club needs someone whose a bit more bullish up top and I think Martin is the sort of player I’d want in the trenches this season.

Ideal replacement for Fletcher considering our predicament. 

Hopefully we sign Garner (DM) and Sanderson (WB) on loans.  And a big striker like Baston on a free.  I don’t rate Gestede.  

I’d also love it if we signed a young striker with real potential like Folarin Balogun at Arsenal.  Do that and my whelm would shoot right up

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

Bonne if we’ve got cash, Martin if we haven’t. No to Baston: he started last season well, but has struggled overall the last few years. Wickham unfit & too dear.

15 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Jutkiewicz would be ideal now. Think he'd partner Rhodes well.

I think if we get somebody like Jutkiewicz then one or both of Windass & Kachunga will play off him & Rhodes will be back on the bench.

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I don't really know why Bonne is being mused... you can triple whatever Charlton would hypothetically sell him for when we're on the other the end of the phone vs any other club 

Pay the money get the player. All the rest is nonsense.