Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Long term deals for unproven players ....not sure that's good idea 

Very tricky and risky idea indeed. But as old saying goes, no risk no gain.

Still it would be easier to get rid of 23 years old flop, then of one that is 33.

1 minute ago, malek said:

Very tricky and risky idea indeed. But as old saying goes, no risk no gain.

Still it would be easier to get rid of 23 years old flop, then of one that is 33.

Not if the flop is on a long term contract it wouldnt .....

9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Not if the flop is on a long term contract it wouldnt .....

Not sure about that mate.

23 years old is less likely to accept not playing at his age and ruining his career then 33 years old.

3 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

that just cheered me right upgarymegson

I’ll reserve those thoughts until I get eyes on who we can afford to replace him with 

Penney ?   Hmm, not convinced 

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Do you think any punishment will apply only to next season? The EFL have suggested that it will be for this season, and various clubs have insisted that be the case Perhaps this virus may change the thinking?

My point being prior to lock down we were in free fall, we maybe bottom 3 on merit by the close of the season and I can't see them lumping a points deduction on us if we are already down.

3 hours ago, malek said:

Not sure about that mate.

23 years old is less likely to accept not playing at his age and ruining his career then 33 years old.

we'll have to agree to differ then but i'm convinced that if you have a long term contract on say 6- 10 k a week and your a flop that you'll give up it to try and prove yourself somewhere else ...we are a middling 2nd division club and if you cant cut with us then its the lower divisions who'll maybe want you and that's going to be a very big drop in wages . ….log term contracts isn't the way to go .

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we'll have to agree to differ then but i'm convinced that if you have a long term contract on say 6- 10 k a week and your a flop that you'll give up it to try and prove yourself somewhere else ...we are a middling 2nd division club and if you cant cut with us then its the lower divisions who'll maybe want you and that's going to be a very big drop in wages . ….log term contracts isn't the way to go .

All true,

But I would find it even worst if we pay for talented youngster, give him 2 years deal and after one good season he gets atention of clubs higher up the chain. By that time he is already in last year of his contract and likely to walk away for nothing.

We need to spot players before they make name for themselves in order to earn money on them if they prove good enough. It is hard to get good offer for player in last year of his contract.

• Like 1

Just now, malek said:

All true,

But I would find it even worst if we pay for talented youngster, give him 2 years deal and after one good season he gets atention of clubs higher up the chain. By that time he is already in last year of his contract and likely to walk away for nothing.

We need to spot players before they make name for themselves in order to earn money on them if they prove good enough. It is hard to get good offer for player in last year of his contract.

its even harder to get a good offer on a player that's crap whos one year into a 4 year contract …...its a fine line ,i'm all for signing young players with potential but giving long contracts based on they might come good isn't the way to go …..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, torryowl said:

its even harder to get a good offer on a player that's crap whos one year into a 4 year contract …...its a fine line ,i'm all for signing young players with potential but giving long contracts based on they might come good isn't the way to go …..

Yes, but it is hard to build a good squad if all your players are on one and two years deals.

Then again it is not like I'm saying lets go and sign 10 young inexperienced players on 5 years deal. However we should be aware of two or three that we would want to build around and make part of our long term plans.

For all the crap work Chris Turner did here he got a good idea how he wanted to rebuild last time we had big chance to do it.

Just now, malek said:

For all the crap work Chris Turner did here he got a good idea how he wanted to rebuild last time we had big chance to do it.

he could spot a player i'll agree on that …..

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

he could spot a player i'll agree on that …..

He could, then again he released likes Quinn, Bromby and Geary while we were in League One and all 3 went to play Premiership football couple of years later. Not only that but by releasing Quinn we missed out on signing his brother Stephen. But I understand how important it was to get these players off our wage bill.

We need to gamble bit more as going for proven players on high wages got us where we are.

Preston signing Ben Pearson, Leicester likes of James and Drinkwater, Wathord Cuthart, Hull Brady, erc... should be our guideline.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Nixon saying that Wigan may sell Windass to us as they’re wanting Ben Whiteman from Doncaster.

Would see this as us missing a trick because Whiteman is exactly the player WE need to be after.

Agree 100%

Creates, defends and scores goals. Complete centra midfielder. 

• Thanks 1

On 01/06/2020 at 21:30, malek said:

That's the risk managers take going down the unproven, hungry young players route for example. Look at our last two promotions - Sturrock got Turner's team promoted. Jones did the same with Megson's. It's a dangerous game for them personally to play. 

On 16/02/2020 at 15:36, David Somni Jennings said:

Am I right in thinking, Jordan Rhodes will be the only striker left on our books if we release everyone who is out of contract?

Leaving Due to Loan Ending
David Bates (on loan from Hamburger SV)
Jacob Murphy (on loan from Newcastle United)
Connor Wickham (on loan from Crystal Palace)
Alessio Da Cruz (on loan from Parma)
Josh Windass (on loan from Wigan)

Contract Ending
Steven Fletcher
Fernando Forestieri
Sam Winnall
Sam Hutchinson
Joey Pelupessy
Morgan Fox
Kieran Lee
Atdhe Nuhiu

Still in Contract