Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

32 minutes ago, Jim said:

TBH our current situation reminds me of the time we were relegated from the premier league. We were having to cut costs as quickly as possible and just about every young pro we had found themselves involved in the first team. The likes of Quinn, Haslam, Bromby, Geary, Morrision, Crane etc.

These lads were thrown in at the deep end because Paul Jewell had no choice. Some did OK, others floundered. I'm expecting a similar scenario this time around. Financially we're starting to tighten our belt for the first time under the current chairman and the points deduction is undoubtedly going to put some potential targets off from signing? 

I think **** has a similar profile to Jewell who also had a mixed reputation amongst the fan base. Some had sympathy for his plight. Others just thought he wasn't good enough and we had a chairman at the time who was pretty ruthless when it came to sacking managers, the total opposite to our current one? So Jewell didn't get the time which our current manager is more likely to get?

I think in many ways this season has the potential to make or break the club, the chairman, the manager, the players, even the supporters in some way? From the outset it looks like it's going to be a real slog just to retain our championship status. This season could quite easily provide the unexpected as the expected and **** will become either a hero or an even bigger villain than he's seen by some now? Despite my doubts about him, I hope it's the former as I get the impression the chairman whether it's by choice or a lack of interest is going to stick with him for quite a while?

That 2000/01 season was one of the most

depressing I can remember. Typically the parachute payments weren’t the same then.

Thankfully the senior players we do have are much better than the ones we had then, in terms of knowing what the league is about.

Imagine -12 at the start of that season.

• Like 1

Just now, Bluesteel said:

That 2000/01 season was one of the most

depressing I can remember. Typically the parachute payments weren’t the same then.

Thankfully the senior players we do have are much better than the ones we had then, in terms of knowing what the league is about.

Imagine -12 at the start of that season.

We had plenty of high profile, expensive players on our books that weren't available to play and we couldn't get rid of dragging us down.

Not sure if any Wednesday manager had harder job than Jewell.

• Like 1

Just now, malek said:

We had plenty of high profile, expensive players on our books that weren't available to play and we couldn't get rid of dragging us down.

Not sure if any Wednesday manager had harder job than Jewell.

Jonk, De Bilde and co weren’t interested. There was a huge divide in the dressing room. I remember being in the away end at Tranmere (we were wearing their away kit) and Sibon wouldn’t link arms with Crane in the wall....

I thought some of the players we released would’ve done a better job in the div 1. Players like Sonner. Andy booth left for about 100k and scored loads.

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That’s irrelevant, DC probably had his reasons for not wanting to sell back then. How much have those players netted us further down the line? Still nothing. Sure, when we were doin well, more attention would have been paid to all our players but we resisted selling. Now we’ve fallen away, and we might like to sell, but most of those older players have/had little resale value. Only one, Lucas Joao, very much part of that decline, were we able to make a decent profit on Ask yourself why?

Joao was sold when his stock was high. He was scoring regularly and winning is game. He was also 25 when he was sold. Maybe the chairman learnt from his mistakes and cashed in when the chips were down?

I’ve already mentioned in a previous post a players fee is dependent and what they’ve achieved at the point of transfer. Take Benrahma at Brentford, they’ll want 20m this season however, if he stays and doesn’t perform his fee will drop accordingly. It’s simple.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Bit of a strange one two biggest teams he's managed are:

Serbia U20

Chicago Fire

Reading fans seem to think this is going to spark a spending spree, thought they were in the mire with us?