Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

OK, first of all, I’m not suggesting players of 24 have no value, but if say we sign a player over the age of 24, for arguments sake, say 26, Windass’s age, he gets a three year contract, does well for a few years and we decide to sell, he is unlikely to have the same market value as someone of 24, who’d reached that same level. Bigger clubs, are clubs with greater resources than the selling club, so yes they could be in the Championship, if we’re talking about us

That’s not what you said though 😂🤦

You said players aged 24+ Generally don’t have a resale value after a few years. 

At no point within that argument did you say that if a player aged 24, had the same ability levels as a player aged 29, he’d be more likely to attract a larger transfer fee. 

9 hours ago, sMacLean said:

Tyler Walker will be a £10m player within a couple of years no doubt. Coventry have done well.

Really want George Puscas from Reading.

If you lot want a very in-depth look at FFP the Brizzle forum has a long running thread looking at all the sagas including ours (yes they are a bitter lot). Reading FFP and ownership stuff is very interesting.

Nice, but we probably have more chance of signing George from Rainbow 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

I don’t think anyone would argue with young, talented players in the lower leagues, being more likely to be of interest to clubs in the Premier League. In turn, more likely to generate a larger profit for the club due to the nature of the clubs involved. That’s a perfectly reasonable argument.

It’s a ridiculous argument to suggest that a player aged 24+ is unlikely to have a resale value. It’s a complete and utter falsity. They still have the majority of their career in front of them at such an age. Barry Bannan Joined for free, he’d command a fee in the region of 5m at the age of 30. Tom Lees was linked with Burnley during Carlos’ time here. Talks of a fee 7m+ were mentioned. FF was 26 when his transfer saga unravelled, we’d have made good money if we decided to sell. Reach was linked with a move to the Premier League during Jos’ spell. Again a player we’d have made money on. That’s just a list of our so called flops. What about successful sides within the division?

There just isn’t a coherent argument which can be made to suggest that players signed aged 24+ generally don’t have a resale value. It ultimately depends who that player is and, what they go on to achieve with the club.

Ponder this, yes there were supposed offers for those older players, though in many cases DC has denied this. How much profit did we make in total on those players? Zilch, we lost a fortune, and I’m not saying they had no value in terms of performances It’s no coincidence that the only player we made a substantial profit on, was Lucas Joao, one of the very few younger players we signed.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Ponder this, yes there were supposed offers for those older players, though in many cases DC has denied this. How much profit did we make in total on those players? Zilch, we lost a fortune, and I’m not saying they had no value in terms of performances It’s no coincidence that the only player we made a substantial profit on, was Lucas Joao, one of the very few younger players we signed.

Hunt

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The chairman’s willingness to sell a player has 0 relevance with regards to your statement. 

You’ve provided no evidence at all to support your claim.

1 simple question. Do the players aged 24 or over have a resale value?

10 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Can he play as a wide forward? More we are linked with wingers and wide forwards more I think we may see 4231 or 343 formation used. 

That crossed my mind also, wide players like Leko and Simmonds, surely wouldn’t have been earmarked for wingback roles

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Can he play as a wide forward? More we are linked with wingers and wide forwards more I think we may see 4231 or 343 formation used. 

Looks like someone who plays on the left. Similar type to Harris. 

• Thanks 1

Never heard of Jordan Jones before but a quick flick on Rangers forums and I'm pleasantly surprised. He seems to be really well thought of and highly rated. Obviously injury ended his season last year but they seem to think he's there 2nd best winger behind the highly rated Ryan Kent. Those opinions I read were from about 10 months ago. 

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/325186-jordan-jones/page/2/#comments

TBH our current situation reminds me of the time we were relegated from the premier league. We were having to cut costs as quickly as possible and just about every young pro we had found themselves involved in the first team. The likes of Quinn, Haslam, Bromby, Geary, Morrision, Crane etc.

These lads were thrown in at the deep end because Paul Jewell had no choice. Some did OK, others floundered. I'm expecting a similar scenario this time around. Financially we're starting to tighten our belt for the first time under the current chairman and the points deduction is undoubtedly going to put some potential targets off from signing? 

I think **** has a similar profile to Jewell who also had a mixed reputation amongst the fan base. Some had sympathy for his plight. Others just thought he wasn't good enough and we had a chairman at the time who was pretty ruthless when it came to sacking managers, the total opposite to our current one? So Jewell didn't get the time which our current manager is more likely to get?

I think in many ways this season has the potential to make or break the club, the chairman, the manager, the players, even the supporters in some way? From the outset it looks like it's going to be a real slog just to retain our championship status. This season could quite easily provide the unexpected as the expected and **** will become either a hero or an even bigger villain than he's seen by some now? Despite my doubts about him, I hope it's the former as I get the impression the chairman whether it's by choice or a lack of interest is going to stick with him for quite a while?

Edited by Jim
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

The chairman’s willingness to sell a player has 0 relevance with regards to your statement. 

You’ve provided no evidence at all to support your claim.

1 simple question. Do the players aged 24 or over have a resale value?

That’s irrelevant, DC probably had his reasons for not wanting to sell back then. How much have those players netted us further down the line? Still nothing. Sure, when we were doin well, more attention would have been paid to all our players but we resisted selling. Now we’ve fallen away, and we might like to sell, but most of those older players have/had little resale value. Only one, Lucas Joao, very much part of that decline, were we able to make a decent profit on Ask yourself why?