Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

13 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

According to reliable transfer sites... Derby, WBA & Stoke want our Fletcher and Glasgow Rangers want Fox 

Interesting situation for these two, could be playing in PL or league 1 next season depending on how the next few weeks goes. For that reason I can’t see players making any kind of decision for a while yet 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

No we don’t and I don’t understand why we persist in using those tactics

Arguably our best 2 away performances at Forest and Boro have seen us get plenty of crosses in the box which led to scoring 8 goals in 2 games

Playing wingers isn’t the issue, it’s the quality of the wingers and typically the quality of the final ball that is the issue

I agree with the comments about a new and reduced wage structure, that is happening and was in place last summer for the new signings .

Fletcher would have to fit into that now and I suppose his priority will be to earn as much as he can for that last year or two (possibly sitting on the bench in the premier league) but he will need to weigh that up with playing every week here on decent but reduced money.

I could see Morgan Fox being the new Buxton if he stays. Buxton was slammed by fans for a couple of seasons and to be fair he didn’t look confident at time’s. But once he really worked on his game and his fitness as Fox has he became a machine. Would be a loss to lose him on a free in my view. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Interesting situation for these two, could be playing in PL or league 1 next season depending on how the next few weeks goes. For that reason I can’t see players making any kind of decision for a while yet 

Yes, and with the very real possibility that we may be in League One next season, I think they will wait At least until after the EFL  make their decision

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

We could well be there on merit yet and starting life in league one on minus points.

Do you think any punishment will apply only to next season? The EFL have suggested that it will be for this season, and various clubs have insisted that be the case Perhaps this virus may change the thinking?

2 hours ago, Craig enock said:

Agree totally,  you watch fletcher and fox sign new deals lol.... agent is trying to spook Wednesday into given his client a bigger and longer deal ... if it works good luck to them . Personally got no prob with fox going , think he's done ok this season but considering how rubbish he was before it wasnt hard to improve.  Like to see penney get given a crack at it anyway ... quicker,younger better going forward than fox .. as for fletcher would be a shame if he goes ... but I'd really like monk to be able to get the age of this squad down ... 

Yep, agree. 

Fletcher is much harder to replace, but his age and current wage against him. I hope a compromise can be reached for another season.

As for Fox, Penney is a natural replacement, but the lad is mentally tough. He has come through dogs abuse to be one of the better performers and you could see from the recent training video his attitude to working hard. Prior to that however he was gash and weve seen other players put in performances when contracts due to expire.

Neither I'm desperate to keep at any cost, but pleased if they both sign. 

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

Fletcher and Fox can both go. Next year i want Penney to be given a run at LB to try and make the position his own.

Fletcher is a tough one, been not good enough for 3 years for the wage he is on to be honest, but this season has been very good. But at 34 next we shouldn't really be busting a gut to keep him. If he took a 1 year deal on 12k a week MAX yeah but anything more and let him go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Do you think any punishment will apply only to next season? The EFL have suggested that it will be for this season, and various clubs have insisted that be the case Perhaps this virus may change the thinking?

I think it needs to be applied this season - as you say other teams will demand it and it makes sense as in theory this season is the squad that has benefited (laugh) at breaking the FFP rules.

We need to get about 12+ points away from the relegation zone and then I wouldn’t be surprised if our points penalty is just enough to keep us up 

So much will depend on the outcome of this season If we are relegated, can we even afford to offer Fletcher a new contract? Any sort of looming transfer embargo, will also hinder bringing new players into the club

Just now, modboy said:

as much as i like Fletcher think its time for a clean sweep.

Also sell Iorfa  and Reach etc if we get decent offers

This season has been a shambles and may still end up in L1

Selling, or letting go our assets and high earners, is the only way we could effectively rebuild the squad

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Selling, or letting go our assets and high earners, is the only way we could effectively rebuild the squad

its been dire now for a few seasons and with matches behind closed doors for the foreseeable future its a good chance to blood some youngsters

Guest wilyfox

Relaxed about it. Squad rebuilding is fun. More worried about the hearing. I'm hoping that Di Marco taking the case is a good sign there's a loophole to exploit. If there's one thing lawyers worry about its their reputation for winning cases, and he's building quite a good one. 

5 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Relaxed about it. Squad rebuilding is fun. More worried about the hearing. I'm hoping that Di Marco taking the case is a good sign there's a loophole to exploit. If there's one thing lawyers worry about its their reputation for winning cases, and he's building quite a good one. 

I’d probably more relaxed about it, if it wasn’t Monk and the recruitment team doing the rebuild. Also trying to do it on a budget, in the championship, will be very difficult

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’d probably more relaxed about it, if it wasn’t Monk and the recruitment team doing the rebuild. Also trying to do it on a budget, in the championship, will be very difficult

I'm not so pessimistic about it. Big opportunity for Monk & recruiters. Need to get it right for sake of their own careers, so don't think they'd wanna pîss it up the wall. So many out of contract could work in our favour in new financial climate. Other clubs may be stuck with more high earners they can't shift. 

4 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I'm not so pessimistic about it. Big opportunity for Monk & recruiters. Need to get it right for sake of their own careers, so don't think they'd wanna pîss it up the wall. So many out of contract could work in our favour in new financial climate. Other clubs may be stuck with more high earners they can't shift. 

Got to agree, the world will have changed regarding salaries, it should be a buyer's market, especially for the out of contract players