Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

12 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I was thinking maybe Monk was playing down how much we have to spend, before we jump in and make our marquee signing of the summer (no not a big tent, a prospective top scoring striker). You get the feeling sometimes that players only come to us because we throw wads of money at them, hopefully that is going to change and to get a really good goal scoring prospect we might have to shell out a transfer fee. None of the free agents are particularly eye catching and we really ought to be targeting individuals that fit in with Monk's plans for the team, rather than just going for any old available striker that has scored ten goals or more in a season.

So with a transfer fee in mind I reckon we have offers on the table with clubs just waiting to see if they can get anything higher before they commit to letting go. It's a shame really because a week or two's training with the rest of the squad would be better than nothing and even when we were throwing money around we made too many last minute signings that then took a while to settle in. Hopefully this season those players will be worth waiting for.

Hope you are right, as we need quality players especially attackers.

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

I think the issue is that most seaons it would still be a massive issue to not have any attacking options or depth but for a team that are already 12 points behind. To get strikers in, up to fitness, gelling with the team, tactically ready etc takes months. 

People think they can just be thrown in, and the can of course. But if you look at any successful individuals or attacking units at this level its all done on the training pitch, working together with the managers and coaches. 

I think with us having such a mountain to climb our lateness in the market will be potentially damning for us. 

Yes the first three players came in pretty quickly, but surely we should have got at least one striker into the club before now. The worst thing about it is that when any strikers do come in they will have missed the hard training, which new players always tell us you can never catch up and they will have missed the training camps, which include the time away with the rest of the squad getting to know everybody while shooting at clay pigeons, zombies etc, which sounds pointless, but often brings the players closer together by relaxing them all and taking them all out of their comfort zone as a group, players and coaches all making fools of themselves or showing that there is a bit more to their personalities. Things like that can sometimes hold groups together through all sorts of ups and downs. 

Ah well. Monk will no doubt get blamed for late arrivals etc by the Monk out gang, because, as you say, it could prove very costly.

2 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Windass update

We have 1 first team striker and windass was decent for us on loan not going to get anything better than that for 450k with an idea of what football we’re playing. Yea we need more than him but it would not be a bad start 

• Like 1

I am still surprised that nobody has made a move for Ivan Toney. I know that Wolves didn't sign him because of some medical issue at the time, quite a few years back, but he went on to sign for Newcastle, went on loan to a few clubs and then scored goals for fun for Peterborough. He seems to be strong in all areas as a striker. I wouldn't mind us taking a punt if we are not going to be spending any silly money. At 24 he would still have a re-sale value too.

Just now, bladeshater said:

Or maybe he lives in the area and wouldn't need to uproot 

Sheffield isn’t at the other end of the country to Birmingham you know.

If the move to Hillsborough was right for him he’d have come, but why would a young player want to commit his immediate future to a club that has a very good chance of getting relegated this season when there are other options on the table?

I’ve no doubt Birmingham will finish above us this season.

• Like 1

Just now, TrickyTrev said:

Sheffield isn’t at the other end of the country to Birmingham you know.

If the move to Hillsborough was right for him he’d have come, but why would a young player want to commit his immediate future to a club that has a very good chance of getting relegated this season when there are other options on the table?

I’ve no doubt Birmingham will finish above us this season.

He had the choice between two s**t teams and Birmingham is obviously the one that made the most sense to him, fair enough.

• Like 2