Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Derrick Williams is the source of interest from Championship side Swansea City.

The Championship side have discussed a move for the Republic of Ireland international with Blackburn Rovers who has featured in both of the pre-season friendlies so far.

Edited by Bloxwich Owl

13 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Derrick Williams is the source of interest from Championship side Swansea City.

The Championship side have discussed a move for the Republic of Ireland international with Blackburn Rovers who has featured in both of the pre-season friendlies so far.

Well Blackburn are also in for Garner, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Williams moved out

2 hours ago, gizowl said:

Agree would be very surprised if these  3 aren't in the final top 6.

Not sure about Bournemouth me, there on

a bad run and I think have made a bad appointment replacing the long serving Howe. Expect a few more to leave them too Cook Wilson King Brooks. Can see them being a stoke and struggling.

The other two are very strong. 

20 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Have to question that claim. A study done in 2012, of years 1992-2012,, showed the average time it took for a club to get back to PL was four seasons. If you took out all the teams that did make it back first time then the average is five seasons. Over recent years with parachute payments, it may have altered slightly but Newcastle and Fulham, via play-offs,  are two that made it back straight away. Can't think of two going straight back up in same season recently, never mind on average. 

Not sure what year parachute payments begun to be honest but certain they weren't around when we got relegated. I was on about since parachute payments have begun a high amount of clubs return whilst still recieving them, some manage it in their first or second year.

I can only see that increasing this season and in the near future, especially in the current financial picture, I wouldn't be at all surprised if at least another 2 parachute payment recieving clubs going up, perhaps all 3. Of the non parachute payment clubs, I only see Brentford in a strong enough shape on and off the pitch to compete with the several parachute payment clubs.

Apologises, if I wasn't clear or made a mistake with the average but I remembered seeing it was something like an average of 2 parachute payment clubs per year going up since the start of parachute payments? I don't know if that's correct or not but my point is that in the current climate the parachute payments look like being an even bigger advantage than previously. 

Dean Windass has tweeted saying he’s got good news to talk about tomorrow but can’t share it till it’s all confirmed.

Alex Miller has tweeted saying there positive news re: Josh Windass though nothing concrete yet

Think he’s ours. It’s a solid signing. Clearly wants to be here after dipping his toe in the waters last season and that’s half the battle. He showed glimpses of a really useful player, QPR away in particular. If he can hit the same form that justified his move from Accrington to Rangers then I think he'll do just fine this season. 

still not the out and our goal scorer we need, but I think he’s got enough for double figures.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Dean Windass has tweeted saying he’s got good news to talk about tomorrow but can’t share it till it’s all confirmed.

Alex Miller has tweeted saying there positive news re: Josh Windass though nothing concrete yet

Think he’s ours. It’s a solid signing. Clearly wants to be here after dipping his toe in the waters last season and that’s half the battle. He showed glimpses of a really useful player, QPR away in particular. If he can hit the same form that justified his move from Accrington to Rangers then I think he'll do just fine this season. 

still not the out and our goal scorer we need, but I think he’s got enough for double figures.

Should give us strength in depth and attacking options, which we lack and need, considering the increase of midweek games. We still need more attackers in particular but as long as we get some more attackers in, and get Murphy back on loan or someone similar, I like the look of the players we've brought in and been linked with. It seems we're being more sensible and long term thinking. As long as we stay up, the future could be brighter, especially with a younger, more athletic and dynamic team. 

Guest gizowl
3 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

It's quite rare for all three relegated clubs to do well in the Championship during their first season. In recent years several have finished in the bottom half.

Agree but I just feel this year the 3 clubs that have come down are financially stable with very good squads for championship level even allowing for 2 or 3 of their top players leaving and Norwich have been astute with their financial problems 2yrs ago, they are now stable and I think their team is better than last season. Just wonder how Bournemouth will cope without Eddie Howe. 

Windass would be a welcome addition. Monk eluded to challenges with recruitment, but we need to get some players in.

Our attacking options consist of ... Rhodes, Windass (hopefully), Hagan, Hidalgo, Adedoyin (maybe), Leko (unlikely).

Of those, one is Rhodes, the others aren't out and out forwards, or haven't kicked a ball in the first team.

Need a minimum of two proper centre forwards in before the season starts IMO.

• Like 2

Funny how we were all comfortable when we were shipping all those players out “Don’t worry, because of the effects of Covid, there will be plenty of decent players to pick up cheap” Now the manager is pointing to the effects of Covid hindering our attempts to sign people Is this another miscalculation?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Funny how we were all comfortable when we were shipping all those players out “Don’t worry, because of the effects of Covid, there will be plenty of decent players to pick up cheap” Now the manager is pointing to the effects of Covid hindering our attempts to sign people Is this another miscalculation?

I can’t remember the club saying that there would be loads of decent players going on the cheap?

I think covid in reality means that players still want close to what they would’ve wanted before. Clubs nowhere near it, so it drags on whilst players wait to see if they get a better offer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

yes it’s very worrying the fact we still only have 1 striker and even the players we are being linked with (Windass etc) aren’t out and out strikers. Be a shambles if we go in to our first game in less than 2 weeks with Rhodes as our only striker. 

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I can’t remember the club saying that there would be loads of decent players going on the cheap?

I think covid in reality means that players still want close to what they would’ve wanted before. Clubs nowhere near it, so it drags on whilst players wait to see if they get a better offer.

No I think that was us, well most of us anyway

Just now, deano said:

Whilst Monk has done nothing to install any confidence, for me, he will know we need to add goals to the team. We need a Glenn Murray type player as a Monk team is never going to create many chances via creative football. 

I’m rather hoping that might change with a reshaped midfield

• Like 3