Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Just now, fudge27 said:

He's available on a free, has experience, is the type of forward we need and that Monk teams tend to have in them and will contribute 10-15 in a season 

So say 12 from him, 8 from Windass, but where else will the goals come from? We won’t get more than half a dozen from Bannan, Brown and Joey, or whichever defensive midfielder we sign. We might get a few from the centre backs, but Odubajo and Penney won’t contribute much. We’d be looking at a sub 40 goals total

42 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

All this talk of younger players coming in (and we definitely need them, and the club recognise this) isn't a guarantee that it will improve us.

We started last season with a few younger players, and apart from at the end where we were basically trying to make up numbers to fill the squad, most of them fell by the wayside.

Thorniley - sold

Baker - sold

Penney - loaned out

Bates - played 1 cup game

Da Cruz - played back end of the season but was poor

The other youngsters played their part, the likes of Hunt, Shaw etc, and may have a bigger role to play this season, but on the whole it is quite difficult getting consistent performances out of younger players, especially if they have hardly ever played any competitive football.

Yes we need to bring the age of the squad down, but not just any youngsters, we still need experienced players to come in, especially up front, and in Goal if we choose to make a change.

As opposed to older players? My memory must be going because I thought just about every player last year was inconsistent.

1 minute ago, prowl said:

As opposed to older players? My memory must be going because I thought just about every player last year was inconsistent.

Not at all, but many supporters think if we pack our squad with young inexperienced players, that they will somehow be a silver bullet to all our problems, when in reality, yes we need a younger squad, but we need experience in key positions, replacing say Fletcher with a young player with no game time would be a disaster, especially when starting on minus 12.

I think Chris Martin would be a smart signing to blend in and make up for the loss of Fletchers experience upfront. On a two year deal he's still only 31 and could have a similar impact to a Glenn Murray if he gets into form. 

I do think in our situation it'd be a smart signing. We can hopefully bring the younger and more mobile forwards in like Leko to play alongside. But I've always considered Martin to be a clever and horrible shithouser. 

Edited by TheEnchanter
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, royalowlisback said:

Not at all, but many supporters think if we pack our squad with young inexperienced players, that they will somehow be a silver bullet to all our problems, when in reality, yes we need a younger squad, but we need experience in key positions, replacing say Fletcher with a young player with no game time would be a disaster, especially when starting on minus 12.

I agree we do still need experienced players in key positions, but we certainly don’t want to replicate what we had with Fletcher. That type of player is too limiting, meaning we are always going to struggle for goals

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So say 12 from him, 8 from Windass, but where else will the goals come from? We won’t get more than half a dozen from Bannan, Brown and Joey, or whichever defensive midfielder we sign. We might get a few from the centre backs, but Odubajo and Penney won’t contribute much. We’d be looking at a sub 40 goals total

Well I'd hope brown, Leko and another CF add in 20 between them. 

CBs I'd be looking for closer to 10-12 from with Dunkley and Iorfa more of a presence then Lees and Borner

9 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I think Chris Martin would be a smart signing to blend in and make up for the loss of Fletchers experience upfront. On a two year deal he's still only 31 and could have a similar impact to a Glenn Murray if he gets into form. 

I do think in our situation it'd be a smart signing. We can hopefully bring the younger and more mobile forwards in like Leko to play alongside. But I've always considered Martin to be a clever and horrible shithouser. 

I don’t think Liam Palmer will be too happy after the elbow he gave him 2 minutes after coming on away at Derby last season

lol

• Haha 1

I've always thought a solid, experienced, dependable spine is important for any team and then you can afford a number of youngsters in the other positions. We aren't really able to pick and choose if we are skint so we take the best we can get.

So far I don't think we have done much wrong with the players we've signed or the ones we are said to be targeting. I'm impressed to be honest, still a number of problem areas to be sorted but our transfer dealings look better than any year since the first one CC was here. I know that didn't work out and the players were towards the end of their careers rather than the beginning but we picked up quality at good prices. To say we are getting this years in for not a lot of money and hopefully not excessive wages it is very encouraging. I'd go so far as 8/10 for those signed and 9/10 if we get the ones we are supposed to be after.

Guest wilyfox
Just now, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

He's not a spring chicken anymore

Mid twenties I'd have said yes

Aged 31, not for me

Young and hungry is the way to go

He's not a 31yr-old has-been, he's a 31yr-old still-doin-it. 12 goals +7 assists last season. He's experienced, has physical presence (which we now don't have up top), his link-play is excellent, has good vision and technique. Even scores free-kicks.

4 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Aged 31, not for me

A blend is what you need. Starting with a deduction we need some sh*thouses and experience to drag us through the season. Martin fits that bill, been around the block, can hold the ball up, awkward to play against. After losing the presence of Nuhiu and Fletch, we need someone to play that role. 

• Like 2

Delighted with everything we’ve done so far considering the circumstances. 

Looking at the players we have been linked with however I find it strange we haven’t been linked with more strikes. 

Been linked with a lot of versatile forwards who can play as a striker Leko/Brown/Windass/Da Cruz/Simmonds but haven’t yet been linked with any proper proper strikers. 

• Like 2

Does anyone on here watch French football if so there's a guy called Ugo Bonnet who might be useful for us scored 11 in 23 games last season 6ft tall got a decent turn of pace and would be available cheap i would have thought playing for Rodez at moment in league 2 

1 minute ago, westy365owl said:

Does anyone on here watch French football if so there's a guy called Ugo Bonnet who might be useful for us scored 11 in 23 games last season 6ft tall got a decent turn of pace and would be available cheap i would have thought playing for Rodez at moment in league 2 

Sounds like a car part.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Aged 31, not for me

Well yeah ,  we’ve gone form screaming out for some young hungry players to wanting to chase championship journeymen though ,I’m not saying I think Martin is a poor player but he will have left Derby for same reasons Fletch left here ... not long enough contract and not enough £££ 

I don’t see us going down that road