Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

9 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Someone like Whiteman at Donny, has a bit of the Hourihane about him 

Arguably best CM in League One.

Looks to me as a "complete" central midfielder who can do little bit of everything, attack, create and defend. As Doncaster already turned down 1.5m bids for him, he would probably cost around 2m or more.

Still, my top two choices would be Callum Slattery from Southampton and Matt O'Reilly who is available for compensation fee after he turned down offer of a 3 years deal at Fulham.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

Pete O'Rourke @SportsPeteO

1m

Sheffield Wednesday are lining up a loan move for West Brom attacker Jonathan Leko. #swfc #WBA

😬
On 27 December 2019, Charlton confirmed that Leko had suffered an ACL injury in the 11th minute of the 2–2 draw with QPR six days earlier, which ruled him out for the remainder of the season. He returned to West Brom for treatment, having made 21 appearances and scoring 5 times.[20]

sounds like he might not even be fit for the start of the season :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, malek said:

Arguably best CM in League One.

Looks to me as a "complete" central midfielder who can do little bit of everything, attack, create and defend. As Doncaster already turned down 1.5m bids for him, he would probably cost around 2m or more.

Still, my top two choices would be Callum Slattery from Southampton and Matt O'Reilly who is available for compensation fee after he turned down offer of a 3 years deal at Fulham.

Unless we were contemplating getting rid of Luongo, do we have a vacancy for another “do a bit of everything” type midfielder? Bannan and Brown will presumably nail two of the places, and with Luongo, FDB, Pelupessy, Hunt and Shaw as back up, it’s actually an out and out defensive midfielder that is needed. Forgive me, but I don’t know much about the two you’ve mentioned, are any of those sitting midfielders?

Seems to be a 'thing' signing players recovering from serious injuries.

Whilst it may help us get quality, i worry that with our paper thin squad it leaves us exposed to paying wages for players suffering reocurring problems, especially looking at how thick and fast games are coming this season. 

Just now, Fuzzy logics said:

Whilst it may help us get quality, i worry that with our paper thin squad it leaves us exposed to paying wages for players suffering reocurring problems, especially looking at how thick and fast games are coming this season. 

It's a good point, but perhaps a necessary trade off to bring in some quality. Hopefully, we've negotiated loan deals with reasonable wage contribution and break clauses in case of injury. 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Unless we were contemplating getting rid of Luongo, do we have a vacancy for another “do a bit of everything” type midfielder? Bannan and Brown will presumably nail two of the places, and with Luongo, FDB, Pelupessy, Hunt and Shaw as back up, it’s actually an out and out defensive midfielder that is needed. Forgive me, but I don’t know much about the two you’ve mentioned, are any of those sitting midfielders?

They are, but they are playmaking midfielders that seat in front of back four, take ball under pressure and pass it quickly and with purpose to those that are not. Both are much Alex Lopes than Sam Hutchinson type of players. What I like in both players is that they play with so much urgency, hardly wasting touch on the ball.

Slattery especially understands and plays said role perfectly and reads game so well that despite not been biggest fella wins lot of possession.

O'Reilly is built and reminds a lot of Tom Cairney, although plays deeper role. 6'1'' fella with silky touch and fantastic left foot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

To be fair he got 5 in 21 before his injury last year. He's not an out and out striker and more of a wide player. Fits the mould.

that’s not so bad then. Not so great about his injury, sounds like another player that if can get fit and stay fit could be a good player but again it’s a massive risk. We need players that can put in a full season, not get injured and then have to be replaced with crap like Pelupessy 

2 minutes ago, malek said:

They are, but they are playmaking midfielders that seat in front of back four, take ball under pressure and pass it quickly and with purpose to those that are not. Both are much Alex Lopes than Sam Hutchinson type of players. What I like in both players is that they play with so much urgency, hardly wasting touch on the ball.

Slattery especially understands and plays said role perfectly and reads game so well that despite not been biggest fella wins lot of possession.

O'Reilly is built and reminds a lot of Tom Cairney, although plays deeper role. 6'1'' fella with silky touch and fantastic left foot.

Great, thanks for the heads up. Can’t help thinking that if we don’t bring in a proper sitting midfielder, Bannan will just assume the role, but without the defensive capabilities. It’s great if we can have someone dictate play from deep, but primarily, their first job must be to shield the back line 

Whichever system we played last season, without Hutchinson there, we were fragile

• Love 2

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy logics said:

I don't think the players would be available to us if they had strong fitness records. The good thing is we seem to have learnt and only signing them on loan. This can bite you in the ass if they have a great season but it's the game you ultimately play.

Murphy was one of our better players last season (It didn't take much) and it's likely he will go elsewhere next year.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Great, thanks for the heads up. Can’t help thinking that if we don’t bring in a proper sitting midfielder, Bannan will just assume the role, but without the defensive capabilities. It’s great if we can have someone dictate play from deep, but primarily, their first job must be to shield the back line 

Whichever system we played last season, without Hutchinson there, we were fragile

You echoed my fears. and it is hard to see anyone else dropping deep and taking ball from our defenders when they get pressed.

Don't think Bannan plays that deep role well, anyway. Needs far too much time on the ball before playing simplest pass. Tries to be spectacular with his passing far too often as well.

• Like 3

I have to say, I’m impressed with the signings so far, as in the type of players we are bringing in. Even the ones we are linked with, seem interesting options There are a couple of key positions, which in my opinion, will be the trickiest to get right. The first is, as we’ve been discussing, a holding midfielder. Since the link with the tall German fella, who’s now moved on, I’ve not seen us linked with anybody, unless we saw Garner as a defensive midfielder? The second position is someone to lead the line. 
Again, since the early link with Taylor, we haven’t been mentioned with any other strikers, other than ones who might play off a target man, DaCruz, Windass, Simmonds, and now Leko. I can’t imagine we won’t use one, and while personally, I’d be happy to get away from the stereotypical big bloke up top, I do think Monk will want one in his armoury

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If we’re going for a 3-5-2, I think we need a RWB and 3 new forwards.

Praying we can get Murphy back to play the RWB role. Windass is versatile and a good option. Need a big lump up front to replace Fletch, from what’s available Lee Gregory or Chris Martin would be my pick. Then I’d like to see a pacy nippy striker come in who can score a goal. If we have any money to spend this should be our priority. 

I still think that we will go for Jutkiewicz.  Thought it since last year.  Monk loves him and I think I remember reading that he loves Monk.  I reckon he's the 'big lump up front and I also think he's a.massive upgrade on big dave. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, swinners said:

I still think that we will go for Jutkiewicz.  Thought it since last year.  Monk loves him and I think I remember reading that he loves Monk.  I reckon he's the 'big lump up front and I also think he's a.massive upgrade on big dave. 

You could see that, yes

Guest wilyfox

Juke would cost a few bob given his form the last couple of seasons. Doubt we'll be spending the kind of money it'd take to get him. Still feel Chris Martin more viable.