Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Guest wilyfox
23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

None of us know what goes on in the dressing room, or behind the scenes, but I’m sure this sort of “disruption” happens at most clubs. Managers are paid to manage, and that will include managing lots of players with big egos. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m happy enough for Monk to leave out players, if he feels that it’s for the good of the team. Those are the type of decisions he will be judged on.

There is little evidence though, to suggest that he is even close to getting things right. He has either handled things really badly, or as he says in his defence, there isn’t a problem with the players he has left out. 
Either way, it’s been a disaster, and I have absolutely no confidence in him going forward.

It made no sense to exile Hutchinson at a time when Luongo was injured - unless their working relationship could not be salvaged. Comes down to whatever was said and done. What I would criticise was the decision to loan 3 more strikers whilst we were left short in midfield. One of those strikers should have been sacrificed for a defensive midfielder instead. 

56 minutes ago, prowl said:

I don't tend to trust anything that is said by him unless it's verified by others. Great player but not exactly the most stable character.

His account of how he came to leave the club has been consistent for over 20 years now and to some extent has been backed up, at least partially, by the club secretary of the time and at least three players I'm aware of. The divisions in the dressing room he alluded to, particularly between the UK players and those from overseas, have also been referenced by others. 

12 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

His account of how he came to leave the club has been consistent for over 20 years now and to some extent has been backed up, at least partially, by the club secretary of the time and at least three players I'm aware of. The divisions in the dressing room he alluded to, particularly between the UK players and those from overseas, have also been referenced by others. 

I don't really want to get drawn into a discussion on Di Canio. I can only give my view on the man. If it's not the same as yours so be it.

48 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

None of us know what goes on in the dressing room, or behind the scenes, but I’m sure this sort of “disruption” happens at most clubs. Managers are paid to manage, and that will include managing lots of players with big egos. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m happy enough for Monk to leave out players, if he feels that it’s for the good of the team. Those are the type of decisions he will be judged on.

There is little evidence though, to suggest that he is even close to getting things right. He has either handled things really badly, or as he says in his defence, there isn’t a problem with the players he has left out. 
Either way, it’s been a disaster, and I have absolutely no confidence in him going forward.

I don't care whether Monk stays or goes. It really doesn't matter to me. He's a job filler, he's only been here 2 minutes, if someone better is available that's fine. I'm not sure there is anyone better in the state we are in with the EFL thing going on.

If Monk gets to bring in some of his own players and coaches and fails then he should definitely go.

I don't think the current situation of when or if we finish the season is likely to bring about a change in manager. There's just too much uncertainty. We don't even know what league we will be in next year.

10 hours ago, wilyfox said:

First thing a new manager says..."clean slate for everybody". No surprise they were brought in from the cold. Bruce only managed them for 3 months. Maybe he never got to see their true colours. Monk was very candid about "what you need in a dressing room" back in January, and remarks about players that "shouldn't still be here". Those comments don't correlate to age or fitness concerns. Believe that shyte if you wish. I don't care. 

It was Bullen that brought them in from the cold. He knew what was required, we were weak with youngsters playing who weren't up to it. We needed leaders on the pitch, and the first thing he did was bring W & H back into the team.

Monk in response to questions about the situation said "I know what a winning dressing room looks like".

Hmm.... well he hasn't seen one since December,  perhaps he was referring to going on stadium tours at Anfield and the Etihaad.

Yeah in January he told Odubajo he shouldn't be here and the that players weren't going to get new contracts.

Great man management.

9 hours ago, james o connor said:

Why the hell would you back them . They have both outstayed their welcome . Westwood is of no use anymore and well past his best , Hutchinson has seen better days too . Sod em both. Can’t wait to offload deadwood like this 

The thing is I believe and I think the majority would agree is while not worldbeaters they are two of the better players we have.

You don't play your best players and it shows.

To say Westwood "is no use anymore" is silly. Only last Summer Bruce saw fit to give him a new contract and trusted him to be his first choice keeper.

Hutchinson last season post Jos was over his injury problems of the past, playing just about every game. He was also fit most of this season, until banished.

In their respective positions they are the best we have. Plus they are leaders on the pitch, something we have been sadly lacking the last few months.

58 minutes ago, prowl said:

I don't care whether Monk stays or goes. It really doesn't matter to me. He's a job filler, he's only been here 2 minutes, if someone better is available that's fine. I'm not sure there is anyone better in the state we are in with the EFL thing going on.

If Monk gets to bring in some of his own players and coaches and fails then he should definitely go.

I don't think the current situation of when or if we finish the season is likely to bring about a change in manager. There's just too much uncertainty. We don't even know what league we will be in next year.

Sure, the uncertainty will play a major part, not just for us with our own problems, but for all clubs. It may well be the case that we would find it difficult to find a manager better than Monk, then presumably we will struggle to find better players as well? Does that mean then that we should put the rebuild on hold? Whatever division we find ourselves in, I’d like to see us establish a footballing philosophy. 
Monk’s footballing philosophy is not the way forward

Edited by gurujuan

Guest wilyfox
23 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

It was Bullen that brought them in from the cold. He knew what was required, we were weak with youngsters playing who weren't up to it. We needed leaders on the pitch, and the first thing he did was bring W & H back into the team.

Monk in response to questions about the situation said "I know what a winning dressing room looks like".

Hmm.... well he hasn't seen one since December,  perhaps he was referring to going on stadium tours at Anfield and the Etihaad.

Yeah in January he told Odubajo he shouldn't be here and the that players weren't going to get new contracts.

Great man management.

..and when Bullen brought them back, he was auditioning for the job. Maybe that's why he did it. Look, my criticism is not just of Hutch & Westy, it's the whole group as a collective. No doubt some are not rotten apples, but others can be swayed. Discontent spreads like poison. Carlos fired a parting shot at squad players not pulling their weight. What happens? Joao & Nuhiu start banging them in once he's gone to prove a point. 

If players were told new contracts would not be forthcoming, perhaps it's because they - or their agents - were asking. Naturally they would if current deals are soon to expire. What's Monk supposed to do, lie? Sure, new 2yr deal with your name on it mate waiting for you in June. 

All ffp is is to stop teams getting rich owners and challenging the big teams like chelsea and city have done .there more teams in trouble with money now than before which tells me it doesnt work .

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Sure, the uncertainty will play a major part, not just for us with our own problems, but for all clubs. It may well be the case that we would find it difficult to find a manager better than Monk, then presumably we will struggle to find better players Does that mean then that we should put the rebuild on hold? Whatever division we find ourselves in, I’d like to see us establish a footballing philosophy. 

I haven't seen a philosophy or plan from Monk, other than to follow the decisions bullen made to stop fannying around at the back and to play the ball long....if that doesn't work, let's just cross it

Which is a real shame

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Sure, the uncertainty will play a major part, not just for us with our own problems, but for all clubs. It may well be the case that we would find it difficult to find a manager better than Monk, then presumably we will struggle to find better players Does that mean then that we should put the rebuild on hold? Whatever division we find ourselves in, I’d like to see us establish a footballing philosophy. 

We don't even know if contracts will end in the normal way. There's talk of a month or 2 month extension. When we know what is happening we might have a better idea.

I think wages and transfer fees will be going down for most players. The hit to income from no gate receipts has got to have an impact. There's no certainty next season will start or how many games will be played.

Strange times and likely to get stranger before we get to the end of it.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I see we’ve been linked with Rangers keeper Wes Foderingham, who has not had his contract renewed 

We must be hopeful of selling Westwood then, or that’s an awful lot of keepers

Monk might’ve finally realised that Dawson’s not good enough? Shame he’s already tied him down to a four year contract 🙄

Edited by Great Big Galaa

With Luongo injured and no obvious comparison in the youth side it’s made no sense dropping Hutchinson. At least not at face value. That’s a couple of managers now.

We do miss that drive and determination in midfield 

Edited by Bluesteel

23 hours ago, wilyfox said:

..and when Bullen brought them back, he was auditioning for the job. Maybe that's why he did it. Look, my criticism is not just of Hutch & Westy, it's the whole group as a collective. No doubt some are not rotten apples, but others can be swayed. Discontent spreads like poison. Carlos fired a parting shot at squad players not pulling their weight. What happens? Joao & Nuhiu start banging them in once he's gone to prove a point. 

If players were told new contracts would not be forthcoming, perhaps it's because they - or their agents - were asking. Naturally they would if current deals are soon to expire. What's Monk supposed to do, lie? Sure, new 2yr deal with your name on it mate waiting for you in June. 

Bullen was chucked in as a stop gap caretaker as he had done before. I don't think he really believed he was going to get the job full time or would really want it, he was just a stop gap while Bruce was being lined up and he knew it.

But let's say he was 'auditioning for the job' and thought I really want to be permanent manager, I need to win matches what shall I do. I know I'll play 2 of our best players who haven't been played for months. Well it worked, maybe that's the future play your best players, masterstroke from Bullen.

Nuhiu didnt start banging them in as soon as Carlos left. It was 3 months later at the end of the season when he scored 9 in the last 8 games.

Funnily enough when he didn't know if he would be offered a new contract.

It wasnt until May, the week before the last game of that 2017/18 season that players were offered new contracts and others were told they could go.

Players are usually told towards the end of the season or even just after it's finished whether they're going to be offered a new contract or not.

If they're told in January they're not wanted and won't be here next season then dont be surprised if they think sod it I'm not going to 'bust a gut' for the rest of the season.

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Bullen was chucked in as a stop gap caretaker as he had done before. I don't think he really believed he was going to get the job full time or would really want it, he was just a stop gap while Bruce was being lined up and he knew it.

But let's say he was 'auditioning for the job' and thought I really want to be permanent manager, I need to win matches what shall I do. I know I'll play 2 of our best players who haven't been played for months. Well it worked, maybe that's the future play your best players, masterstroke from Bullen.

Nuhiu didnt start banging them in as soon as Carlos left. It was 3 months later at the end of the season when he scored 9 in the last 8 games.

It wasnt until May, the week before the last game of that 2017/18 season that players were offered new contracts and others were told they could go.

Players are usually told towards the end of the season or even just after it's finished whether they're going to be offered a new contract or not.

If they're told in January they're not wanted and won't be here next season then dont be surprised if they think sod it I'm not going to 'bust a gut' for the rest of the season.

That brings their integrity & professionalism into question, not Monk's decision to tell them. I don't see honesty as a stick to beat Monk with. If he's been open & straight with the players about their futures, that's commendable. If they switch off as you describe - and I think they have - it says a lot about their character. So why defend them? 

9 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

This convenient accepted wisdom just will not go away. The logical inference from it is that Nuhiu is actually talented enough to be a latter-day Alan Shearer, but most of the time simply can't be bothered to unleash this tremendous talent. Whatever people think of his abilities, most agree that the bloke cares and puts in a shift whatever his contract status happens to be. 

Those kind of short-term anomalies happen. Nefarious conspiracies aren't always necessary.

9 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

That brings their integrity & professionalism into question, not Monk's decision to tell them. I don't see honesty as a stick to beat Monk with. If he's been open & straight with the players about their futures, that's commendable. If they switch off as you describe - and I think they have - it says a lot about their character. So why defend them? 

If Monk was being honest to them fair play. But if you know in January that you won't be at the club next season, you're going to be looking for a deal at a new club and I could excuse a player thinking I dont want to risk getting injured.

Your mind would surely be on your next club and not the rest of the season.