Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

12 hours ago, Bigblueowl said:

Re Conner Wickham... 

Put it on his head and 6 times out of ten it's hitting on target! 3 out of the 6 are going in! Superb in the air! 

If he was to come back it's all about supply! We've said this with Rhodes however Wickham is far more dangerous!

He can hit 20 goals a season if he stayed fit! Beattie would love to work with him too I would think! 

If he was to come back it would all be about fitness. If he's going to be on the treatment table to a third if the season he's no good to us. We can't afford to carry crocks

• Like 1

I’m relatively happy with the two lads we’ve got through the door, and some of the other names we’ve been linked with seem quite interesting. However, there remains key personnel we have to replace, Hutchinson, Lee, Forestieri and Fletcher. Not the players as they are now, but to get back to the levels we were at before, we need to replace them as they were in their prime. 

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m relatively happy with the two lads we’ve got through the door, and some of the other names we’ve been linked with seem quite interesting. However, there remains key personnel we have to replace, Hutchinson, Lee, Forestieri and Fletcher. Not the players as they are now, but to get back to the levels we were at before, we need to replace them as they were in their prime. 

I know what you're saying, and while it's undoubtedly true that we need quality players if we're going to be anything like successful, I'm hoping that we're signing players with a coherent plan in mind rather than simply signing a player because he's a good player.

We've had it spelled out for us in the most painful manner in recent seasons how a team can be much more than the sum of its parts, yet for all the money we've spent, we've not even come to close to producing similar ourselves.

• Like 2

If we'd sold FF to derby for £10m after the playoff final we'd have been circa £16m better off now (assuming he was on around £30k per week) as we would have saved £6m in wages over that period on top of the transfer fee. Now in all likelihood all that money would have been reinvested but I'm sure we'd have seen a better return (and maybe even more saleable assets) if we'd sold him then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I know what you're saying, and while it's undoubtedly true that we need quality players if we're going to be anything like successful, I'm hoping that we're signing players with a coherent plan in mind rather than simply signing a player because he's a good player.

We've had it spelled out for us in the most painful manner in recent seasons how a team can be much more than the sum of its parts, yet for all the money we've spent, we've not even come to close to producing similar ourselves.

I’m all for the coherent plan, and a clear strategy, but we also need to add some real quality. Hutchinson was one of the best in the division in his position, and we saw how vital he was to us, by the way our form collapsed, when he was frozen out. We also need a box to box player like Lee was in his prime. Maybe this was the role earmarked for Luongo, but so far he’s been a bit of a disappointment. He may get better. How we replace the talents of Forestieri, at one time the most talented player in the division, and the only player in recent history, to get the fans out of their seats. 
Fletcher, again was someone who was integral to the way we play, a little bit too much for my liking, but a very effective centre forward who we missed when he couldn’t play. You can probably add Joao to that list, and Hooper also. Players that offered us something in the final third, either pace or guile. 
These will be incomings that Monk will be judged on

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

If we'd sold FF to derby for £10m after the playoff final we'd have been circa £16m better off now (assuming he was on around £30k per week) as we would have saved £6m in wages over that period on top of the transfer fee. Now in all likelihood all that money would have been reinvested but I'm sure we'd have seen a better return (and maybe even more saleable assets) if we'd sold him then.

Not if we’d invested it in TWO players like Jordan Rhodes

1 hour ago, FlyingOwl said:

Garner would be a massive signing on loan and exactly the type I’ve been screaming about us signing.

Young PL academy stars looking to make a massive impact. Lads looking to be the next Mason Mount basically and go from nobodies to England call ups in two seasons.

Garner has good pedigree already with England youth appearances and even senior apps for United. 

My midfielder of choice was George McEachran (brother of Josh) from Chelsea but this would actually be better and I’d be surprised if we pulled it off.

Dom Telford is very small and quick. I’m not sure where he fits into our squad. But then we don’t really have a squad. 

Im not overly enthusiastic about Kachunga but who really knows. Could be a shrewd deal if he finds his feet here quickly. 

I agree, look at the likes of Mason Mount how they did at Derby. Reece James also was out on loan.

5 minutes ago, WAWAWUTO17 said:

I agree, look at the likes of Mason Mount how they did at Derby. Reece James also was out on loan.

It is interesting how after they lost Mount, Wilson and other lad from Chelsea they "invented" Likes of Knight, Bird and (what's his name who scored 5 or 6 goals from midfield) from their own academy. All 3 were among their better players this season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, malek said:

It is interesting how after they lost Mount, Wilson and other lad from Chelsea they "invented" Likes of Knight, Bird and (what's his name who scored 5 or 6 goals from midfield) from their own academy. All 3 were among their better players this season. 

Sibley

• Thanks 1

The thing with these young lads coming through for Derby, it wasn’t just a case of throwing them in Their performances for the U23s demanded that they get a chance. For us, only really Hunt has turned in anywhere near those sort of performances for the the U23s. Others have been OK, but not actually delivering the performances that say, you have to pick me

32 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

If we signed Vardy for 5m when offered at that price then

Rewind

If we got Cantona rather than needing to see him on grass then

Rewind

If we spent money on the squad in the 60s rather than spend on the stadium then

It's the Wednesday way!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m all for the coherent plan, and a clear strategy, but we also need to add some real quality. Hutchinson was one of the best in the division in his position, and we saw how vital he was to us, by the way our form collapsed, when he was frozen out. We also need a box to box player like Lee was in his prime. Maybe this was the role earmarked for Luongo, but so far he’s been a bit of a disappointment. He may get better. How we replace the talents of Forestieri, at one time the most talented player in the division, and the only player in recent history, to get the fans out of their seats. 
Fletcher, again was someone who was integral to the way we play, a little bit too much for my liking, but a very effective centre forward who we missed when he couldn’t play. You can probably add Joao to that list, and Hooper also. Players that offered us something in the final third, either pace or guile. 
These will be incomings that Monk will be judged on

No doubt the way our squad has been stripped of quality over the last few years is shocking, but the way I'm looking at it is that we don't necessarily need to replace Fletcher, for example...which is good, because we probably can't.

Once he was injured, we were screwed, as the other strikers we had on our books were nothing like him and couldn't slot into the way the whole team was playing up to that point. Asking Nuhiu, Winnall or Rhodes to do Fletcher's job was never going to work, and given the squad we had, neither was altering the whole system to try to get one of them firing.

I'm hoping we have a plan as to how we're going to play which will replace Fletcher's goals from across our team rather than hoping for a moment of inspiration from one individual. We've tried relying on talented individuals and it's got us nowhere. What we need is a team.

If we'd have been linked with David McGoldrick a couple of years ago, I doubt many on here would have thought he was good enough, yet look at the way United got the best out of him by using him as part of their wider system.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Whose the 2? Young lad from man c and? 

Are we at the tipping point now where we’ve gone from “ need to get rid of the high earners” to “ we’ve not replaced the quality we lost”. 
I wondered how long it would take. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2