Clear out that's 2 years too late

I think we are largely agreed on some of the mistakes that have been made in the last couple of years, but simply lamenting that we didn't have a clear out two years ago is easier said than done. We'd spent well beyond our means and had made much of the squad impractical for selling with unwise contracts. Under these circumstances we'd put ourselves in a corner with no easy way out. Recently, our recruitment has been modest for this level out of straightforward necessity. One would hope that the chairman has learnt some harsh lessons from all this and will proceed more prudently once we have some financial leeway again, but the signs are hardly promising on that front so far.

A clear out is required but it will mean very little if we dont have some sort of plan going forward.

What sort of team do we want to be? What style of play, system are we looking to introduce? What type of player are we looking for? Young with resale value or more experienced?

Otherwise, it will be more of the scattergun approach. The end result will be another disjointed mess.

Edited by SiJ

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

A clear out is required but it will mean very little if we dont have some sort of plan going forward.

What sort of team do we want to be? What style of play, system are we looking to introduce? What type of player are we looking for? Young with resale value or more experienced?

Otherwise, it will be more of the scattergun approach. The end result will be another disjointed mess.

Exactly

Just now, Sefton owl said:

What’s the biggest ‘clear out’ we’ve had since we got relegated in 2000? I.e non renewal of contract players? Struggled to recall tbh

The biggest one I can remember was by Chris Turner back in about 2004 when we rebuilt almost the entire first team in just a few months. Can't remember the number of players released though.

3 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Right I’m going to post something that the experts on here will see as b*ll***s and it most probably is but I was reading an article on the BBC website about Dortmund.

Now before everyone starts, obviously we are way out of Dortmund’s league of course but the point I want to make is they have a certain way of doing things when it comes to style of play, sourcing players whether it be from outside or inside the club, mainly youngsters who can improve as players, therefore improving the team then becoming substantially saleable assets which continue to sustain the running of the club. I remember seeing years ago on one of those Bundesliga magazine shows when Klopp was there they had some sort of training device which helped to develop passing, touch and awareness.

In short they have a plan, they’ve stuck to it and reaped the rewards. I just hope I live to see the day we do something similar to progress our club but I would be very surprised if it happens under the current regime sadly?:sad:

Brentford are doing very similar. If Brentford can do it successfully why the hell cant we?

23 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Very true. Just hope we have the right manager in place to over see that. Is Monk the man to do that? I really don’t know. 

19 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

What’s the biggest ‘clear out’ we’ve had since we got relegated in 2000? I.e non renewal of contract players? Struggled to recall tbh

I may have dreamt this but a couple of seasons ago did we not have something like 16 players out of contact? 

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Huddersfield in the play-offs. That was the time. The natural cut off point for Carlos and most of this group. As others have alluded to above a lot of fans saw this as soon as the final whistle blew.

Chansiri didn’t and we’ve been living with the consequences since. Personally I think almost every problem we have right now ultimately stems from the lack of action after that. It’s a team that’s carried a play-off hangover for 3 years. 

Biggest mistake we made after Huddersfield was signing Jordan Rhodes and giving him a 4 year deal. We’d already seen during the loan spell that season he wasn’t up to it.

We also signed Joost van Aken, George Boyd and Jacob Butterfield in the window following Huddersfield.... what a summer of recruitment that was!

Guest Ferkorf
2 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Couldn't even say to be honest, have we actually had one?

Even in 2000 not that many went did they?

Guest Ferkorf
7 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Couldn't even say to be honest, have we actually had one?

Even in 2000 not that many went did they?

Atherton    Srnicek
Sonner     Briscoe
Booth
Cresswell
Rudi
Alexanderson
Nolan
Newsome??
Humphries??
Thats a brainstorm in the pub between me and the mates. Probably more went too

16 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Atherton    Srnicek
Sonner     Briscoe
Booth
Cresswell
Rudi
Alexanderson
Nolan
Newsome??
Humphries??
Thats a brainstorm in the pub between me and the mates. Probably more went too

Jonk and Phil Scott too? I think we were stuck with the O'Donnellys for another season or two...

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

The biggest one I can remember was by Chris Turner back in about 2004 when we rebuilt almost the entire first team in just a few months. Can't remember the number of players released though.

Yep, 2004 by a long way - about a dozen. We let go a combination of not-up-to-scratch dross (Maddix, McLaren, BBM) plus a fair bit of under-performing talent (Quinn, Bromby, Geary)... to see the Piggies promptly sign up the latter group...

Guest Ferkorf
9 minutes ago, Dooogs said:

Jonk and Phil Scott too? I think we were stuck with the O'Donnellys for another season or two...

We said jonk but I had a feeling he was on our injury table with hinchcliffe for the 1st season in div 1.

Could be wrong but they were definitely both on my old championship manager 2001 game for us in Div 1.

Used to flog them both straight away lol

26 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

We said jonk but I had a feeling he was on our injury table with hinchcliffe for the 1st season in div 1.

Could be wrong but they were definitely both on my old championship manager 2001 game for us in Div 1.

Used to flog them both straight away lol

I lost months of my life to CM3 and CM00-01

Clear arhhht!!! 

Dawson

Iorfa

Bates

Borner

Fox

Murphy 

Pelupessy

Luongo 

Da Cruz

Nuhiu

Wickham

Oh wait, those aren't on the sh*t list :rolleyes: 

Let's release some (relatively) more successful players

Westwood

Palmer

Lees

Hutch

Bannan

Lee

Reach

Harris

Forrestieri 

Fletcher

*Probably should get rid of just a few from each list 

Edited by camffiti

6 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

I would let Fox leave as well, he has had 3 good months out of 3 years, that have coincidentally coincided with his contract running out...…………….we fell for this two years ago with Nuhiu.

That's not true.