Clubs demand Sheffield Wednesday points deduction

Just now, vulva said:

If we get found guilty, don’t blame Gibson. There is an inference on here that we are in the dock because of Gibson. Looks like he’s raised the issue, and to be fair it’s dog eat dog in football, so if he hadn’t done it, 22 other Chairmen in this were probably queuing up. 

If and when we get points deducted we have one person to blame and it isn't Gibson or any other chairman from any other club, nor is it the EFL or their rules.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, vulva said:

If we get found guilty, don’t blame Gibson. There is an inference on here that we are in the dock because of Gibson. Looks like he’s raised the issue, and to be fair it’s dog eat dog in football, so if he hadn’t done it, 22 other Chairmen in this were probably queuing up. 

Don't think I have blamed gibson per se, although he is a w@ nker.

My main issue is that you appear to be on his side.

Without even knowing the result of the enquiry.

You can’t blame Gibson, bottom line is the clubs put themselves in the position of falling foul of the EFL’s ‘rules’ regarding FFP 

You also probably can’t prove how influential Mr Gibson may or may not be in what the EFL decides, but I think it’s probably a bit naive to suggest he’s not got owt to do with it or even just a minor role !  He’s clearly got a very firm foothold in the EFL chain of command 

57 minutes ago, bazapeps said:

It’s not just about the loophole though is it. Our situation is v different with the accounts issue etc. Why does this keep coming up, do people just hear what they want to hear?

What's most fascinating is that our FFP situation wasn't a sudden realisation either. DC was  banging on about it ages ago.

The levels of incompetency behind foooking up the loophole is staggering. It's like buying a lottery ticket with last night's winning numbers, and wondering why Camelot aren't letting you claim your prize.

1 hour ago, bobness said:

What's most fascinating is that our FFP situation wasn't a sudden realisation either. DC was  banging on about it ages ago.

The levels of incompetency behind foooking up the loophole is staggering. It's like buying a lottery ticket with last night's winning numbers, and wondering why Camelot aren't letting you claim your prize.

Yes but if an official from Camelot tells you it's ok then that's different.

6 hours ago, Hookowl said:

Not sure where this "the full 21 points" comes from, there has been no precedent for anything more than 12 as far as I am aware (may be wrong) apart from rumours on here.

Does Gibson read owlstalk?

21 points is referenced in the sky article in the opening post on this thread.

It says league guidelines allow up to a 12 point deduction for the financial failure and up to a further 9 points for ‘aggravated circumstances’

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Yes but if an official from Camelot tells you it's ok then that's different.

Perhaps not when there are established rules, and common sense dictates one should know better.

My point though, was that a conversation with the EFL should have been totally unnecessary, as we had so much time to plan.

I really do hope the club end up on the right side of this, but am not expecting the "EFL let us" argument to hold much water. If there is something, I expect it will be vague. If I had to pull something out of my arse, I'd guess the EFL advised that if a sale could be legitimately deemed to be in an accounting year, then they would respect it. Considering we had accountants sign off on it, it is then considered "legitimate".

With that said, there is a possible angle that could run in the club's favour: the date of our communication with the EFL. There might be a decent argument if the communication took place while the club still had time to sort it out in 2018, but only carried it over into 2019 because they relied on the EFL's blessing.

6 hours ago, bobness said:

Perhaps not when there are established rules, and common sense dictates one should know better.

My point though, was that a conversation with the EFL should have been totally unnecessary, as we had so much time to plan.

I really do hope the club end up on the right side of this, but am not expecting the "EFL let us" argument to hold much water. If there is something, I expect it will be vague. If I had to pull something out of my arse, I'd guess the EFL advised that if a sale could be legitimately deemed to be in an accounting year, then they would respect it. Considering we had accountants sign off on it, it is then considered "legitimate".

With that said, there is a possible angle that could run in the club's favour: the date of our communication with the EFL. There might be a decent argument if the communication took place while the club still had time to sort it out in 2018, but only carried it over into 2019 because they relied on the EFL's blessing.

I was saying that more as a joke. But there must be some element of truth in it. Looking at us, Derby and Man City. We have all come out fighting and saying the charges are wrong and we are going to fight them. So dont be surprised if we all come out on top as we all have the money and chairman willing to spend money to fight against it. City especially. Where as how much money would the likes of Bolton, Bury, even Birmingham been willing to throw at top lawyers to get the charges overturned.

9 hours ago, bobness said:

It's worse than that. It's like Camelot checked your ticket, paid out the money, sent you a letter saying it was fine, let you spend the money and then decided that it wasn't fine and went you to give the money back.

Sellers remorse basically.

6 hours ago, bobness said:

Hopefully we'll get away with it. But fundamentally a paper transaction to switch assets around in order to get round the rules should not have been necessary.

4 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Hopefully we'll get away with it. But fundamentally a paper transaction to switch assets around in order to get round the rules should not have been necessary.

That is true, but when you constantly overspend above agreed limits you need to pull a rabbit out of the hat

I would prefer to agree with you and say it should not have been necessary if we had a workable, or in fact any, strategy in place to be successful and be within the rules