Last chance saloon for Monk

Tomorrow's game against Reading could well be the last chance saloon for Monk.

The fan base have not warmed to him and a defeat would mean 1 win in 10 games, 5 points out of 30, ie; sackable.

His head is on the block and it it is time for him to swallow his pride, be pragmatic and get a win to take the pressure off.

In that scenario he has in my view to rely on experience and assuming Luongo is not fit to play he needs to rely on experience:

Westwood

Palmer

Iorfa

Lees

Fox

Reach

Hutchinson

Bannan (Luongo if fit)

Harris

Fernando

Wickham

Plus Winnal and Rhodes on the bench in place of unproven youngsters.

• Haha 4

We will win tomorrow imo, paper over the cracks for a week. I just hope whatever happens between now and the end of the season that Monk has already decided not to renew any of their contracts (apart from Fox) even if they do start putting some effort in it will only be because they want a new contract. Get rid of as many as we can. Be very annoyed if he hands out any new contracts to those bunch of wasters, perfect chance to get rid of a hell of a lot of this poisonous squad. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

Westwood was arguably the best goalie in the Championship for a couple of years - he was great.  I loved Hutchinson when he arrived at the club, pleased for him recovering from a career-wrecking injury and delighted to see a player at last with b*llocks and commitment and realy getting stuck in. 

BUT. No manager should tolerate players who split the camp, undermine the manager and come on like some 'Bertie Big rounduns'. There's clearly plenty of circumstantial eveidence that both are guilty, coupled with the fact that neither are the players they were 3 years ago.

There are some on the forum who appear to exhibit a rather adolescent, pop-idolesque hero-worship syndrome..... someone is amazing (and therefore beyong criticism) . I remember being verbally abused by a 23 year old Michel Jackson fan when I suggested that he may well be a paedophile..... being a musical genius apparently bestows some sort of saintlyness. Being a good footballer doesn't justify hreo-worship or automatic selection.

Joey? Clearly not good enough. Most people would expect nothing more than squad cover for 500k Euros. It's not his fault the club was strapped for cash then as it is now.

But no club should tolerate players who are divisive and undermine the manager and are too big for their average boots.

• ps Chuck Berry was a musical hero of mine and a musical genius in his time...... however as a person he was really a bit of a c*nt

44 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

The fan base have not warmed to him and a defeat would mean 1 win in 10 games, 5 points out of 30, ie; sackable.

His head is on the block and it it is time for him to swallow his pride, be pragmatic and get a win to take the pressure off.

In that scenario he has in my view to rely on experience and assuming Luongo is not fit to play he needs to rely on experience:

Westwood

Palmer

Iorfa

Lees

Fox

Reach

Hutchinson

Bannan (Luongo if fit)

Harris

Fernando

Wickham

Dawson should retain his place.

Borner over Lees and anyone over Bannan (Luongo if fit).

Da Cruz should play over Reach.

Dawson

Odubajo Iorfa Borner Fox

Da Cruz Hutchinson Luongo Harris

Forestieri Wickham

Of course this will not happen, and we'll probably lose. Monk should have gone Wednesday but another loss Saturday and surely he'll be gone ?

Monk looks a beaten man.  His general demeanor WILL have been apparent to the players and it WILL filter onto the pitch (it seems to have done already).   There simply is no coming back from this.  Im afraid it is all of Monks own doing.  The public statement that players needed to go was unprofesional but more to the point it was suicide (no matter how true or otherwise).  If one thing has become evident in the last few weeks (and several of us saw it before monks appointment), its that monk cannot deal effectively with the political side of management.  He cannot cope with charecterful players and he certainly doesn't have the nous to say the right things at the right time, nor to keep his mouth shut when such action is appropriate. Within these limitations, monk has not only lost the dressing room he has also lost the stadium and the press box. 

All opinions and assumptions isn’t it, my feeling is Monk won’t be going anywhere whilst we have this EFL charge to sort out.  Chansiri has either lost interest in owning the club or he will be focused on sorting that out to protect his investment as much as possible.

Paying to sack a manager and to bring someone else in for 3 months can’t be that appealing right now 

Edited by Owls-Fan

I agree tomorrow will be a defining moment for Monk, however I don't think that all the blame on our poor run is as what a lot of people make it. Maybe we are just on a poor run and that's it! I am a bit bemused by some of the team line ups and tactics and Monk must take the blame for that, but also nobody was really complaining when we were sitting 3rd in the table.

1. There is no evidence that Hutch and Westwood are the poison that some on here think.  I'm not saying that there isn't something, but no one actually comes up with any proof.

2. The constant love in that loads spout about Steve Bruce - up until Xmas Monk and Bruce records were pretty even (I think without looking that Monk was slightly better) The fact is Bruce wasn't here long enough to actually make an informed judgement either way. I personally think the bloke is a right coont for the way he treated us after the club bent over for him.

3. Bannan is marmite and I can see how that gives a manager problems. He can be our best player when he is on it and further up the field, but also our worst player when he is essentially playing as our 4th centre back (as he did on Wednesday).

4. We have lost Fletcher at a crucial time and we haven't had a replacement (until now maybe=Wickham)

5. Monk hasn't had a proper pre season or his own staff in.

6. The new signings haven't had to time to bed in yet - however...…..

7. Players that I thought were coming good (i.e. Murphy) were looking better with a run in the side and now are out to accommodate the new signings -is that because of pressure from fans or bad management or a combination of both??

Personally I would like to see him given some time to build his own squad and not be a club that keeps chopping and changing managers after a poor run. Ralph Hassenhutl went on a 8 game winless run at Southampton and could of quite easily of been sacked, but the club gave him time and they have pulled through. I think until the FFP debacle is sorted out then Monk should be in charge, maybe that is why he is on a short term contract anyway.

The bigger issues with the club, to me are stemming from off the pitch DC and his inability to actually run and manage us properly, not what I hopefully is just a blip in form.

2 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

All opinions and assumptions isn’t it, my feeling is Monk won’t be going anywhere whilst we have this EFL charge to sort out.  Chansiri has either lost interest in owning the club or he will be focused on sorting that out to protect his investment as much as possible.

Paying to sack a manager and to bring someone else in for 3 months can’t be that appealing right now 

I have a feeling he may quoit at some point if results don't pick up.

Anyone blaming Monk for our current plight knows nothing about football or people.

He got us to 3rd in the league with 4 four different manager's players. Then all of a sudden we can't buy a win, something has obviously gone off behind the scenes.

I genuinely believe he's told all the overpaid garbage and freeloaders that they aren't getting new contracts and to find new clubs in the summer, so they've downed tools.

Stick with Monk, call for his head if we're still garbage after 2 or three transfer windows. But calling for his head now or saying he's under pressure is just daft. He needs time to get rid of the rot that's set in and he cant do it overnight.

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Westwood

Palmer

Iorfa

Lees

Fox

Reach

Hutchinson

Bannan (Luongo if fit)

Harris

Fernando

Wickham

Lees has been crap.

Wickham is struggling for fitness, huffing and puffing. Eric Eadie maybe for Palmer? Give Bannan a rest?