Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Can anyone remember the comment Monk made when he first arrived?

 

Something along the lines of he wants intelligent players, players who can think and adapt on the pitch without needing to be told.

 

At the time I thought it was a strange comment to make as he was saying it after he had only been here a short while. It seemed like a dig/swipe at the players who he had inherited.

 

Do we think that could be part of our problem? The players have not got the ability to think outside the box and try different things. If plan A  isn't working...they don't know how to implement a plan B.

 

Are they thick?

 

Or is that sort of thing purely down to coaching? Is it Monks job to make every player on that pitch know exactly what he should be doing in every situation...should the players be almost like on auto pilot? 

 

This then begs the question...are the 3 new recruits showing signs of having this Intelligence?? As these are Monks signings?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, trev said:

Can anyone remember the comment Monk made when he first arrived?

 

Something along the lines of he wants intelligent players, players who can think and adapt on the pitch without needing to be told.

 

At the time I thought it was a strange comment to make as he was saying it after he had only been here a short while. It seemed like a dig/swipe at the players who he had inherited.

 

Do we think that could be part of our problem? The players have not got the ability to think outside the box and try different things. If plan A  isn't working...they don't know how to implement a plan B.

 

Are they thick?

 

Or is that sort of thing purely down to coaching? Is it Monks job to make every player on that pitch know exactly what he should be doing in every situation...should the players be almost like on auto pilot? 

 

This then begs the question...are the 3 new recruits showing signs of having this Intelligence?? As these are Monks signings?

Yeah, and I want a unicorn that shats gold bars . . . . . .

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trev said:

Can anyone remember the comment Monk made when he first arrived?

 

Something along the lines of he wants intelligent players, players who can think and adapt on the pitch without needing to be told.

 

At the time I thought it was a strange comment to make as he was saying it after he had only been here a short while. It seemed like a dig/swipe at the players who he had inherited.

 

Do we think that could be part of our problem? The players have not got the ability to think outside the box and try different things. If plan A  isn't working...they don't know how to implement a plan B.

 

Are they thick?

 

Or is that sort of thing purely down to coaching? Is it Monks job to make every player on that pitch know exactly what he should be doing in every situation...should the players be almost like on auto pilot? 

 

This then begs the question...are the 3 new recruits showing signs of having this Intelligence?? As these are Monks signings?

According to some on here it's monks job to wipe their arse and tie their shoelaces as well.

 

I think you are spot on. People are slamming Monk for being one dimensional but think it's ok for highly paid professionals to be unthinking one trick ponies.

 

We can't judge the new signings yet, they need time to get match fit and settle in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good questions.

 

It is partly in the coaching. If coaching is just telling them what to do and how to do it, he'll get nowhere. He needs to make player make decisions in the coaching sessions and then explore whether they were the correct decisions. That way the players can learn and take that ethos out on to the pitch.

5 minutes ago, trev said:

are the 3 new recruits showing signs of having this Intelligence??

 

Yet to see I suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It just got me thinking...how often do any of our players do anything unexpected? It's all very steady eddy...long balls forward or get it out to the winger.

 

We rarely try to outnumber on the flanks or try cute thru balls or one-twos.

 

For 10 mins against Luton after they missed the pen, we played quite well. But then it's like the players just got into their normal routine and then nothing.

 

Very strange.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, trev said:

Can anyone remember the comment Monk made when he first arrived?

 

Something along the lines of he wants intelligent players, players who can think and adapt on the pitch without needing to be told.

 

At the time I thought it was a strange comment to make as he was saying it after he had only been here a short while. It seemed like a dig/swipe at the players who he had inherited.

 

Do we think that could be part of our problem? The players have not got the ability to think outside the box and try different things. If plan A  isn't working...they don't know how to implement a plan B.

 

Are they thick?

 

Or is that sort of thing purely down to coaching? Is it Monks job to make every player on that pitch know exactly what he should be doing in every situation...should the players be almost like on auto pilot? 

 

This then begs the question...are the 3 new recruits showing signs of having this Intelligence?? As these are Monks signings?

9/10 footballers are thick..have you listened to undr the cosh

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, trev said:

It just got me thinking...how often do any of our players do anything unexpected? It's all very steady eddy...long balls forward or get it out to the winger.

 

We rarely try to outnumber on the flanks or try cute thru balls or one-twos.

 

For 10 mins against Luton after they missed the pen, we played quite well. But then it's like the players just got into their normal routine and then nothing.

 

Very strange.

This absolutely. 

After the pen we played some bright  Intelligent ,free flowing footy for about 10mins or so then it totally dried up .

For the life of me why should that happen?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, penrhyn bay owl said:

This absolutely. 

After the pen we played some bright  Intelligent ,free flowing footy for about 10mins or so then it totally dried up .

For the life of me why should that happen?

 

No one wants to take any responsibility.

They get the ball in promising positions, then check back inside and find an easy ball. Who then passes it back or square until we do the Hail Mary punt to the now outnumbered winger/forward.

No one drives at the defence causing panic. We're too predictable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This was actually something that Jos brought up.  He said that Dutch players are taught from an early age to analyse the situation on the pitch and alter tactics accordingly, which is one of the reasons he was not very animated on the touchline.  He said UK players need telling all the time what to do.

You see this all the time at Hillsborough, when it seems obvious what players should be doing, but stick to what they have been told.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Good questions.

 

It is partly in the coaching. If coaching is just telling them what to do and how to do it, he'll get nowhere. He needs to make player make decisions in the coaching sessions and then explore whether they were the correct decisions. That way the players can learn and take that ethos out on to the pitch.

 

Yet to see I suppose.

Do you remember back to the 1991 cup final. There was the usual video of the road to Wembley.

Players were filmed preparing for the final and I remember Roland Nilsson working with Harkes I think on how they were going to play against Mark Hughes (Sparky)

 

I'm sure Big Ron dealt with the big picture, like shape and style of play but the players were taking the responsibility to work out the details of how they were going to manage their own personal battles on the pitch within the framework of Ron's overall instructions.

 

I'm not convinced the players do this sort of thing anymore or that Monk has the coaching staff behind him to work on individual areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Barberphobia said:

This was actually something that Jos brought up.  He said that Dutch players are taught from an early age to analyse the situation on the pitch and alter tactics accordingly, which is one of the reasons he was not very animated on the touchline.  He said UK players need telling all the time what to do.

You see this all the time at Hillsborough, when it seems obvious what players should be doing, but stick to what they have been told.

That must be why the Dutch win so many competitions then :/ 

 

also if Jos realised that why didn't he start shouting when he found our players were below the footballing intelligence he was used to

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Think it needs to be a bit of both. Players need to have the quality to adapt but good God at the minute Monk is over complicating things with his crazy formations and playing players out of position. 

Square pegs, round holes every since Carlos arrived.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, trev said:

Can anyone remember the comment Monk made when he first arrived?

 

Something along the lines of he wants intelligent players, players who can think and adapt on the pitch without needing to be told.

 

At the time I thought it was a strange comment to make as he was saying it after he had only been here a short while. It seemed like a dig/swipe at the players who he had inherited.

 

Do we think that could be part of our problem? The players have not got the ability to think outside the box and try different things. If plan A  isn't working...they don't know how to implement a plan B.

 

Are they thick?

 

Or is that sort of thing purely down to coaching? Is it Monks job to make every player on that pitch know exactly what he should be doing in every situation...should the players be almost like on auto pilot? 

 

This then begs the question...are the 3 new recruits showing signs of having this Intelligence?? As these are Monks signings?

If I remember monk banged on about making the players understand their roles and not over complicating them so all know there roles and what do to he play us to suit the players he as every squad is different and you play to you players strengths 

 

fast forward I think monk needs a rethink in his methods or approach to what he thinks are the players strengths because they’ve defo played better than this 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fpowl said:

If I remember monk banged on about making the players understand their roles and not over complicating them so all know there roles and what do to he play us to suit the players he as every squad is different and you play to you players strengths 

 

fast forward I think monk needs a rethink in his methods or approach to what he thinks are the players strengths because they’ve defo played better than this 


well he certainly isn’t doing that. With his current changing of formations and playing players out of position he is really over complicating things. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Rogers said:

9/10 footballers are thick..have you listened to undr the cosh

Lol I meant more football intelligence...rather than academic intelligence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trev said:

Can anyone remember the comment Monk made when he first arrived?

 

Something along the lines of he wants intelligent players, players who can think and adapt on the pitch without needing to be told.

 

At the time I thought it was a strange comment to make as he was saying it after he had only been here a short while. It seemed like a dig/swipe at the players who he had inherited.

 

Do we think that could be part of our problem? The players have not got the ability to think outside the box and try different things. If plan A  isn't working...they don't know how to implement a plan B.

 

Are they thick?

 

Or is that sort of thing purely down to coaching? Is it Monks job to make every player on that pitch know exactly what he should be doing in every situation...should the players be almost like on auto pilot? 

 

This then begs the question...are the 3 new recruits showing signs of having this Intelligence?? As these are Monks signings?

 

 

A little known fact is that Palmer is a Theoretical Physicist, and once helped to change a tyre on Stephen Hawking's wheelchair.

 

Players don't start training until they have completed The Times crossword (Which answers a few fitness questions).

 

The reason Borner and Iorfa gel so well together is that  they are both members of Mensa and compete against each other doing Sudoku puzzles. 

 

Reach and Hutch both have PHD's in creative writing and love writing poetry together.

 

There is flourishing Chess club Lee, Dawson, Fox, Bannan, Westwood (He refuses to play Dawson), FF and don't leave for home till they have completed a Round Robin.  Wickham wants to join but he's not sure how the horsey thing moves.

 

Cruz keeps getting lost around the ground and Windass is bugging the other players as he keeps banging on about how good his old man was but he's challenging Harris as the quickest crossword solver


Winall, Nuhiu and Rhodes clean the showers. 

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

According to some on here it's monks job to wipe their arse and tie their shoelaces as well.

 

I think you are spot on. People are slamming Monk for being one dimensional but think it's ok for highly paid professionals to be unthinking one trick ponies.

 

We can't judge the new signings yet, they need time to get match fit and settle in.

 

Yeah true, I wish Nando thought outside the box and said "F*CK THIS, I'M NOT PLAYING LWB, I'M OFF UPFRONT"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...