Players = scapegoats

The players have downed tools, looking to get the manager sacked.

They’ve said we don’t rate him, don’t agree with what he’s trying to do, we’re not playing for him, next manager please.

End result, we need a new manager, and new players, in the summer.

A clean canvass for a football managing artist.

Edited by theowlsman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, trev said:

I'll be honest I can see why the OP is saying what he is.

But professional footballers know exactly how to put 95% in. It's hard to see from outside but the players on that pitch know who is putting it in and who is not.

They may look like they are putting in 100% but they are not.

Sorry but I cannot. Nobody I know think the players look as if are putting 100% in and they are not, far from it. This OP is nothing new, its like blinking groundhog day and people are still coming up with excuses for the lazy players! The players have come out with a lazy attitude for Carlos, Bullen, Jos, Bruce and now Monk and still they are being excused! Some are less lazy than others, but when you are one of the few that are trying and you are being let down by your teammates the rot can soon set in. Laziness is not just a physical thing, it is also an attitude and too many senior players are not taking enough responsibility on the pitch. Bannan can be a good player at times, but does not take on any responsibility, goes into his shell, does not encourage his teammates enough and often bullies players when they are having a hard time. Again this trait goes way back and his good points are not enough to make up for it unless he is having a blinder. We are so poor right now though that he, along with Lees and Fletcher are our only players getting average match scores of 7/10 or more! Liam Palmer looked like becoming a world beater when he earned his first big contract by becoming player of the year. Why then has he continued to look less effective, make less effort and more and more mistakes? He has been sent off, stopped playing, prefferred to put his hand up rather than defend, played people onside, not got back to defend, not been anywhere near the player he is supposed to be marking and generally looked too casual and too happy with his poor performances. All this season! After being presumably kicked up the @rse by Monk, same as with previous managers we see a response from him, yet even then he struggles to concentrate right to the end of games. 

Monk has had them all fired up for games where the whole team worked hard, but since Fletch got injured, we have not been scoring and now with our new loan players in we are not holding the ball upfield for long enough. Now we have players in that we think should be able to score, but they are not working as hard as Winnall and Nuhiu, or scoring enough goals. 

This was always going to be difficult because we could not afford to bring in ready made replacements. The three loan players were always going to take time to fit in and to get match fit. We were always going to get worse before we started getting better. Some of the players that have been here longest though, have not been contributing enough and some have got increasingly worse. Instead of helping the manager to make things work, they seem to fall back on usefully lazy attitude that no matter how hard they work, someone is going to make a mistake that leads to a goal, so why bother! 

Contributing factors that need a long term solution are the individual mistakes that we make at the back. These can only be reduced by bringing in better quality defenders. Again this was the case when DC first arrived, but we have actually gone backwards. 

It is hard to stop goals that are pure flowing football, flukey deflections, or deadly accuracy, but we concede too many goals that are purely down to individual errors and bad communication. When you know that players are making mistakes you have to relieve the pressure on them by helping them out. Our players have been so lazy that they are not shutting players down, chasing balls, giving teammates an easy pass, or supporting each other in other ways that make the game flow and life a bit easier for your teammates.

Then we have all the other mistakes. Dawson has been given the shirt based on better overall performance and good behaviour, but he needs to work on his kicking and communicating loudly and forcibly with his defenders. The mix up with Forestieri could have been avoided, as could the poor backpass from Borner, but other than that, most other mistakes that have led to goals have been individual errors from the defenders. Iorfa, Borner and Odubajo are the latest culprits, but Hutch, Palmer and Bannan also drop loads of clangers that lead to goals for the opposition either directly, or from the ensuing free kicks. 

Monk has a massive job to do and whoever is not part of the solution is part of the problem and there are lots of problems on the pitch before we even start to look behind the scenes, or at a higher level. 

13 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Everybody involved has to take a bit of the blame.

Manager , coaches and players. 

Yep, but everyone accepting blame won't change the situation. We need to get better. Barring a big points deduction we're not in danger of relegation, but that's not impossible, and if it doesn't happen we're still close enough to make a run at the playoffs.. we have the talent to do so.

What we don't have is a man in the dugout who is getting anywhere close to the best out of the talent we have. It's the easiest and quickest thing to change to try and turn our fortunes. There's no point idling to the end of the season, letting monk (who has a questionable history in the market) buy half a team to add to the half a team that's left that he's already lost and then crawling thru to November and firing him then having wasted a window, a few million quid and half a year. Shift him now.

53 minutes ago, cookeh said:

You don't think tactics and decent football are in any way 

I play twice a week where i often see decent football without any tactics whatsoever  (i routinely drift to cf from cb!:D).

One twos, clever runs, tidy skills surely these and tactics are mutually exclusive? 

I do understand though that at this level the two are interlinked,  one facilitating space to allow the other and defensive constraints on players creativity etc etc.

I also understand that i probably understand very little of the complexities of the sport.

So to answer your question... i dont know!!:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Well, mostly anyway.

From what I’ve seen the players are putting a shift in. Yes they are making mistakes but these players have always done that. Lees has a history of it. As does Bannan. The new 2019 lads do as well. 

The current crisis goes deeper than simply “the players doesn’t give a throw”

The manager should be taking most of the slack IMO. The set up, formation, tactics and style of football is woeful. It’s dire - even when we were winning. 

We need to quickly go back to something recognisable in football. 4-4-2 with FF and Wickham up top. That’s the recipe for slightly better results, at home at least. 

That's your problem Fernando, you're supposed to be playing football not watching your team mates. 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Outrageousowl said:

I play twice a week where i often see decent football without any tactics whatsoever  (i routinely drift to cf from cb!:D).

One twos, clever runs, tidy skills surely these and tactics are mutually exclusive? 

I do understand though that at this level the two are interlinked,  one facilitating space to allow the other and defensive constraints on players creativity etc etc.

I also understand that i probably understand very little of the complexities of the sport.

So to answer your question... i dont know!!:)

Yes, I really miss playing now, but right from being kids at school our teachers had us doing all the standard stuff. Most of us played in the streets, or playing fields with older/younger kids and you could already see the leaders, the creative players, the prima donnas and the solid grafters. It didnt take long to realise that the best teams had a good mix and that the hardest working teams usually won.  

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

We all know the players are so much better than they are playing right now, and that's why the situation is so frustrating.
The players aren't doing all they can, but isn't that 100% the managers job? To take the players you have and help them to perform at their best?

Not a single one of us (not even the true crazies!) would ever in any 'line-up for the next match' have put Nando as at left wing back.

That's just plain stupid.

Meanwhile you have Monk in the press blaming the players.. then today he's saying:

"It's my responsibility, I'm not here to pin anything on anyone, the buck stops with the manager.

The solution is to work hard. I work very hard and I try to work the players very hard."

He's not blaming anyone, but they blames everyone else in the next sentence!

The solutions to work hard and he works very hard.. but the players.. not blaming anyone tho! :laugh:
The man's a joke.

Whatever you think of the players, Monk's lost them, with idiocy like this. If you lose the players, you've got to go, because you won't ever get them back, and trying to get rid of them all and start again is suicide for any club. It one of those things fans say in frustration "get rid and play the kids" but in reality that's just a doorway to relegation upon relegation.

We have a core of players who are very much good enough and we have some who aren't. For two months now Monk has been getting the worst from all of them, and that's no one's fault but his own. He's a manager, he needs to manage people. A drill sergeant isn't a manager. Like it or not, football has changed in the last 30 years. Monk's job nowadays is to put an arm round Nando and make him feel like he's a million bucks, because that's when Nando plays his best. His job is to make the want to play for him, and that's maybe even more important than how he wants them to play. If you've got 11 talented players (and we do) then if they're committed they will get some results. Add a system that suits them well, decent set-pieces, knowledge of the opponent and sensible game management, and you're looking at the playoffs or better.

Monk is failing to even get the players to play for him. His system is erratic and, as we saw the other night, sometimes make no sense. His game management is poor, we've shipped so many late goals this season. He's just not he man. We need to lose some players, for sure. But we also need a real manager in place as well.

Well said. Absolutely spot on.  

The irony is Monk is the manager and he can't even manage the players.  He is absolutely clueless.  The constant chopping and changing of formations and lineups, no wonder players don't have a clue. 

Lets blame all the players instead.  

5 hours ago, Mr Hooper said:

Football fans are strange, and you make some good points OP.

Obviously the players are to blame to a certain extent, but our fans have really blown up at the wrong ones.

Bannan - He's getting so much stick right now, people seem to forget he's playing CDM and hasn't really had anyone to link up with lately. Good players play well with good players. Imagine looking up for a pass or a one two and seeing Winnall/Nuhiu. His performance picking up when Nando came on against Millwall.

It's a shame that Monk then decided to play Nando at LWB.

I'm giving the manager 90% of the blame for what's currently happening on the pitch. OF COURSE, we can blame the chairman for his decisions and some of the players below par performances.

But let's not look past the stupid decisions Monk is making.

- Playing players in the wrong positions.

- Messing around with formations

- Dropping and falling out with our best players

- Calling the players out for being 'embarrassing' but then not changing the 11

- Telling the media the play offs were never a possibility 

All this could be managed ALOT better.

If a manager picks and sticks with a gameplan, picks the best players, try's the play attacking football, has some charisma and engages with the club and crowd, WE WOULD BACK THEM!

If you turn up to a match and agree with the starting 11 and can see we have a clear style of player and plan, even if we lose, it's hard to knock the manager. Monk is really messing it up here, and he's also doing a great job at turning the fans on our better players. 

I agree with most of your post apart from the first part about Bannan, is he actually playing CDM or is he not disciplined enough to play further up the pitch and not go chasing balls that are not his to chase. I would of thought it would be Hutchinson (when playing) or Pelupessy's job to be where Bannan has been playing. By playing so deep he creates an imbalance with the rest of the team and we have no outlet when attacking. Although Winnall and Nuihu might not be the greatest strikers in the world (I personally think they can both have a part to play), it has made no difference with Da Cruz or Wickham lately either. I firmly believe Bannan is one of our best players, but only when he is playing further forward.

Had a dirty Leeds fan and a Boro fan tell me today Bannan is the best midfielder in the division, and he'd walk into their teams. 

They also said it's blatantly obvious to the whole division we are using him incorrectly, and he isn't suited to a 4 man flat midfield and dropping deep.

Embarrassing that we have failed miserably to address this.

1 minute ago, Mr Farrell said:

Had a dirty Leeds fan and a Boro fan tell me today Bannan is the best midfielder in the division, and he'd walk into their teams. 

They also said it's blatantly obvious to the whole division we are using him incorrectly, and he isn't suited to a 4 man flat midfield and dropping deep.

Embarrassing that we have failed miserably to address this.

And yet, when we've played with one up top which gives us an extra man in midfield, supporters go mad

Carlos used to play Bannan on the left of a 3, Bannan, Lee and either Hutchinson or Lopez

We also had the clever Hooper dropping into midfield a lot

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.