Westwood & Hutchinson

3 minutes ago, cbirks said:

One of the many reasons I was miffed about Bruce leaving was exactly because he was able to manage players that are apparently unmanageable. No doubt because he himself was managed by the best and saw how they handled difficult players. 

Monk apparently doesn't have it. 

Same as Big Ron. Big manager to manage players with big egos. 

42 minutes ago, fpowl said:

They did last year when Jos was sacked 

and if they don’t improve results the manager gets the sack 

if he doesn’t play them and results don’t improve the manager gets the sack 

the manager does himself no favours by losing games but getting beat in them convincingly by the divisions worst sides when he is choosing to freeze players out 

You can do it when results are going well and performances are ok but when questions start to be asked answers need to be given 

They did last year, agreed.

I havent see their presence having that much of an effect either way this year, without delving into all the stats which can be a blind alley anyway im not sure . I think the only player we can attribute to positive results more often than not this year has been Fletcher. Without him in the team results have clearly got worse.

For whatever reason, Monk thinks not having these two playing is better for the team/club. He will either get sacked or he wont. We wont know the full reasons either way.

Either way, there are numerous issues here, Monk is just entrenched in a club that appears to have many issues. 

4 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Am I right in thinking that Westwood has made far more mistakes when he has been selected than Dawson and Hutchinson hasn't exactly set the world alight with his performances in midfield?

sort of agree with Hutchinson, but I think vast majority of people on here would rather hutchinson play than pelupessy ( a man who has made no impact at all since being here) and kieran lee ( unfortunately now past his best and we shouldn’t have offered him another deal; yet another contract related mistake)

I agree 100% with FPowl when he says:

It’s pretty simple to me if monk wants to save his job and get to the end of the season where he has a lot of movement to rebuild with the out of contract players he has to turn results around 

he has westwood and hutchinson sat at home whilst we are getting out played by all the division 

if this is how he wants to discipline and manage the squad then he has to pay the price if he’s looking for work next year 

otherwise use what you have and manage then accordingly until you have enough to manage without them 

if I was monk I’d make a defensive midfielder or two a big target in the summer and play Sam for the rest of the season 

I don’t want to come across harsh on Dawson he doesn’t look like he’s lacking in confidence but his form as dropped as have the teams this needs addressing 

either give wildsmith a run or westwood needs to be recalled 

we can not keep having these performances and results whilst we’ve got two senior pros sat at home 

it’s the managers choice to exclude them and like jos it cost him his job 

if they are a problem then you look at the summer window to fix it but the problem isn’t the summer it’s here and now and you have to pick your best 11 or pay the price

Just spotted this but it is from the 'stir' so don't how accurate it is but certainly rings true.

Many may have thought Hutchinson’s expulsion came down to poor form, as Wednesday had lost four out of their five league games before the Wigan clash, but Alex Miller of the Sheffield Star says an off-the-field altercation with Monk is the reason for his absence.

The Wednesday manager admitted as much in his latest press conference too, saying: “We’ll see (if Hutchinson is finished at the club). I make decisions. There are things you make decisions for, not just football, lots of things go on within squads and stuff like that.”

Hutchinson has made 24 appearances in all competitions this season, scoring and creating two goals. The 30-year-old was a regular before his falling out with Monk and may arguably be missed on the pitch given recent results. Wednesday haven’t won a league game since the midfielder was dropped and have only picked up five points from a possible 27.

Date: 14th February 2020 at 1:54pm
Written by: Crippy Cooke

Sam Hutchinson isn’t expected to feature when Sheffield Wednesday face Reading on Saturday, and it remains to be seen if he’ll play again before his contract expires this summer.

The 30-year-old was frozen out of the first-team by Garry Monk last month, causing him to miss Wednesday’s 2-1 defeat to Wigan Athletic (January 28), 0-0 draw with Millwall (February 1), 1-1 draw with Barnsley (February 8) and 1-0 defeat to Luton Town (February 12).

Guest LondonOwl313

What’s odd is that people blame these two for our problems or being symptomatic of them. Yet all I see is that we’re garbage without them. We have no leaders, these two are and they’re sat at home. They aren’t even too old for the positions they play, could have a couple or years left in them yet.

Monk needs to go for me, looks inevitable with his body language. I’m bored of pragmatic football.. we just need to have a solid base like we have had for a number of years when these two play, and focus on adding quality in the midfield and forward line. The formations are a shambles, subs are poor, management of the squad is all about the ego of the manager. This season has gone now but we need to do more in case of a points deduction 

Edited by LondonOwl313

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

What’s odd is that people blame these two for our problems or being symptomatic of them. Yet all I see is that we’re garbage without them. We have no leaders, these two are and they’re sat at home. They aren’t even too old for the positions they play, could have a couple or years left in them yet.

Monk needs to go for me, looks inevitable with his body language. I’m bored of pragmatic football.. we just need to have a solid base like we have had for a number of years when these two play, and focus on adding quality in the midfield and forward line. The formations are a shambles, subs are poor, management of the squad is all about the ego of the manager. This season has gone now but we need to do more in case of a points deduction 

We dont know what Hutch did/said. If hes out of line hes out of line. 

6 hours ago, swfc4_sufc0 said:

Yes, but what we've done is the equivalent of offering yourself £Ms for your own house. I don't think that the valuation has been addressed yet?

6 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Two separate entities.

Not the right place for this discussion, but I'm afraid that as far as Accountancy/EFL are concerned, they are effectively the same entity, and a market/3rd party price must be substituted for whatever is claimed.

6 hours ago, cbirks said:

One of the many reasons I was miffed about Bruce leaving was exactly because he was able to manage players that are apparently unmanageable. No doubt because he himself was managed by the best and saw how they handled difficult players. 

Monk apparently doesn't have it. 

Bruce was at the club three months and is unlikely to have had to deal with these issues. Funnily enough it is the 3-4 month timing in Monk's career, and it was around 5-6 months into Jos' tenure. 

PS: Bruce managed the big ego that was Ross McCormack and his training session capers by... Excluding him from the squad. 

Guest LondonOwl313
19 minutes ago, billyblack said:

We dont know what Hutch did/said. If hes out of line hes out of line. 

Yeah we don’t.. but the management of it is poor. Monk shouldn’t be dropping veiled hints at stuff in press conferences, it’s just demotivating for the players. 

Sir Alex would deal with it either by having it out with the player behind the scenes and moving on by putting an arm around them like Cantona, or he’d say no player is bigger than the club and they’d be out ASAP, and it would be sorted quickly. What we’ve kind of done here is left things ambiguous, nobody knows what’s going on.. is he staying or going, if he’s off, why didn’t he go in January or why haven’t the contracts being paid up. Need to be decisive and clear on why stuff is happening.. this is just limbo

Guest LondonOwl313
13 minutes ago, Offside_Owl said:

Bruce was at the club three months and is unlikely to have had to deal with these issues. Funnily enough it is the 3-4 month timing in Monk's career, and it was around 5-6 months into Jos' tenure. 

PS: Bruce managed the big ego that was Ross McCormack and his training session capers by... Excluding him from the squad. 

Didn’t McCormack do something like lie about why he couldn’t come to training and Bruce went round his house to inspect the gate that wouldn’t open lol. For me it’s not about whether they’re excluded or not excluded, it’s just about being open around what the situation is.. the radio silence hangs over everything. A proper manager would confront this uncertainty directly and clear it up

6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Yeah we don’t.. but the management of it is poor. Monk shouldn’t be dropping veiled hints at stuff in press conferences, it’s just demotivating for the players. 

Sir Alex would deal with it either by having it out with the player behind the scenes and moving on by putting an arm around them like Cantona, or he’d say no player is bigger than the club and they’d be out ASAP, and it would be sorted quickly. What we’ve kind of done here is left things ambiguous, nobody knows what’s going on.. is he staying or going, if he’s off, why didn’t he go in January or why haven’t the contracts being paid up. Need to be decisive and clear on why stuff is happening.. this is just limbo

Fergie just transfer listed them. Beckham, Stam, didnt Keane happen that way as well? Not much point transfer listing Hutch as window is shut and hes out of contract in summer. Dropped him from squad, what else can he do.

22 minutes ago, Offside_Owl said:

And where did fatty Ross’s career go after that? I can’t remember a queue to sign him.