Westwood & Hutchinson

6 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Westwood seems to pick and choose when he wants to play whether its Christmas or playing in the cup games. When he is rightly dropped he feigns an injury that the club are unaware of. His ego seems quite fragile when he is dropped or faces criticism. He does give the impression that he thinks he is bigger than the club.

Bless his poor little cotton socks.

It's a man's game.  Weakness, physical or mental is soon exposed. If he's not up to it , he's not up to it.

But he's no fool. I doubt he cares if he plays or not. He'll be happy shovelling the money through his front door each week before another fifa20 tournament on the Xbox.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, marble said:

We need to move on from these two. Apparently now frozen out by 2 coaches & at the ends of their careers..who in their right mind would advocate prioritising their inclusion in the team over squad discipline?

the run we are on at the minute I think we need to prioritise points as the most important thing. If Monk wants them out at the end of the season fair enough but at the minute our starting 11 are a shambles. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Monk managed senior pros at Swansea, Leeds and Birmingham.

Did he have problems there?

Don’t know the answer he might have a history for it.?

Or are these two special!

Don’t know but he doesn’t seem to last very long wherever he goes 

1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

Unbelievable.

Starting to see a campaign to blame Monk, to deflect from DC's failings.

I wonder if DC is thinking about pushing the bottom to save himself.

Are you blaming Chansiri for the last 2 team selections? Do you think Sheard could pick a better team? 

lol

Guest LittleG
2 minutes ago, CF_Owl said:

If two managers regardless of how good/bad they may be have dropped them then there is obviously a disciplinary issue. Both have not been great this season but are easily solid players, so to completely drop them from the match day squad is a big signal. You'd have hoped with their experience and passion (Hutchinson especially) they would be backing the younger players as much as possible like true professionals regardless of their relationship with the manager. Just shows they are in it for themselves and not the club. Obviously we are all making assumptions but it doesn't look good for either of them.

Like you say there are a lot of assumptions there; nobody knows what has gone off. We don't know how Hutch interacts with the younger players, although let's be honest there are not many in our squad, so once again let's not assume he is not backing them. One thing you cannot accuse Hutch of is not giving 100% on the pitch.

Just now, BIG D said:

Are you blaming Chansiri for the last 2 team selections? Do you think Sheard could pick a better team? 

lol

Are you blaming Monk for ttying something new when previous results were just as awful? Should he just leave as is so you can all moan hes not trying anything else.

I take a different view to many.

Westwood was playing poorly making error after error and was rightly dropped.  Monk should though have had him on the bench immediately he was fit.

Dawson has now started making inexplicable errors and a decent manager would consider a return for Westwood.

Meanwhile I thought Hutchinson was playing pretty well and should be in the team.

Monk is still young, immature and has reacted emotionally by leaving him out.  It could well be the end of Monk (hopefully).

A proper manager like Bruce would play Hutchinson if we have had to resort to JP or KL

Winning football matches is his role as manager and since Christmas we have won 1 game in 9!!!

3 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Westwood was playing poorly making error after error and was rightly dropped.  Monk should though have had him on the bench immediately he was fit.

Dawson has now started making inexplicable errors and a decent manager would consider a return for Westwood.

Meanwhile I thought Hutchinson was playing pretty well and should be in the team.

Monk is still young, immature and has reacted emotionally by leaving him out.  It could well be the end of Monk (hopefully).

A proper manager like Bruce would play Hutchinson if we have had to resort to JP or KL

Winning football matches is his role as manager and since Christmas we have won 1 game in 9!!!

very good post. Fully agree. 

Jos Luhukays only issue with Hutchinson and Westwood was neither of them turned up to training consistently, he refused to pick players who didn’t train 

Carvalhal gave them a free pass 

Bruce did nothing at the club with a view to the long term, he always thought he was too good for the club

Regardless of what both player brings to the team, any footballer should have discipline. Whichever way you look at it there has obviously been a lack of discipline by the pair. This may mean they underminedGM in some way but clearly if it was just down to ability they’d be in the squad.

Read between the lines.

My team against Reading (anyone) based on player availability at Luton. 

Westwood

Iorfa             Hutchinson        Borner        Palmer

Da Cruz             Bannan

Hunt                                                                 Harris

Forestieri                

Wickham

Iorfa, Hutch, and DaC to look after Hunt until he settles into the game. FF and Wickham to work closely and pushed forward (don't come searching too deep). 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Monk said quite clearly in a press conference that Westwood kept saying he was still feeling pain in his shoulder when the medics thought he was fit but tactfully said “ all players have different pain thresholds “ .

ie Westwood was taking the p*ss

What can Monk do if the player fakes injury, and Westwood has history of this. 
I think Monk put him on the bench for one game but amazingly his shoulder was “ hurting “ the next game.

What can a manager do if a player has such an attitude that he is not bothered about playing. How long does a manager put up with it when he has honest pros working hard, wanting to play.

The whole concept of injuries and fitness in football depends on players being honest about their fitness and wanting to play.

This is why we never knew whether Abdi was fit, he would keep saying he wasn’t .

• Like 2

It's a right mess.

I have no idea what sins Westwood and Hutchinson have committed - Monk must be well miffed because they are worth a place in the side atm on ability, in my opinion of course.  But well miffed doesn't mean right or that he isn't partly to blame. I simply don't know. Just as I don't know whether Monk's behaviour at the clubs who have bombed him out - and they weren't simple sackings there was a lot of bad blood that went beyond normal football firings - was in any way dodgy and means we shouldn't employ him. The fact that it has happened more than once doesn't make him guilty in my eyes. 

I do think he's been short changed. For a start we could have employed him a lot earlier - instead we waited weeks and then announced him at the most low key, energy free press conference in history.  Managers nowadays always come in with their own teams of coaches they feel they can rely on. It helps them build a team in their own image. he's looking a bit like a lost soul without the usual support network and that is down to Chansiri presumably not being able to employ extra people because of his mismanagement of the club and the squad.

I think the players are largely "trying". Lack of confidence makes it look like you are half-hearted. I know we'd all "bleed for the shirt" and put in 100% we think but the reality can be very different.  And it's Monk's job - as well as the players amongst themselves - to build that mentality. If he can't do it from a position of strength when we were 3rd in the Division that doesn't bode well. The players have to show character but so does the manager. 

Basically I think they are all to blame and with a points deduction we are probably fizzed.

Happy Days.