Not fit enough

I've been saying this for most of the season but I think the source of most of our problems is that we're just not fit enough.

We have a midfield of Lee, Bannan and Hutch all of whom are now 30+. We brought in Luongo who is 'only' 27 but frankly runs like he's in his 30's.

We have proved to be dreadful at holding on to a lead in the last 5 minutes - because we're knackered.

When we had a run of games over Christmas our form collapsed - because we were knackered.

Every other team just seems to run about a lot more than we do - because we're knackered

In some games, and last night was a classic example, we can look really good in the first 15 minutes. But then we just run out of steam. For a while last night we looked terrific with Lee and Bannan buzzing everywhere, making tackles, interceptions and runs. But then... nothing. Bannan in particular just disappeared. Let's face it Bannan is knackered and Lee is past it.

I don't know what the answer is in the short term because there's no-one else to replace them with. Lee at least did more in the first 15 minutes than Pelupessy has all season. There's no-one in the U23's ready to step up. The new guys look even slower, with the exception of Da Cruz who at least runs about a bit but has (as yet) no end product

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Not fit enough, not physical enough, not mentally strong enough. We just aren’t good enough from top to bottom. 

This, and not committed enough, and too predictable. Other teams take quick throwing, corners,free kicks. Not nasty enough either, do anything to win. Complain to the ref, "win" a free kick, Football is about winning, nothing else

• Like 1

We're just far too fragile.

Complete lack of leadership, belief in each other, confidence, bravery, urgency (a huge bugbear with this lot) real professional work ethic and winning mentality.

All that equals HUGE inconsistency and a complete inability to recover from set-backs. 

No surprise we struggle to turn round bad runs (unless a manager gets the sack), come back from behind in a game (very rarely happens) or even hold on to a lead (the EXTREME of which we've seen multiple times at Blackburn, Stoke, Wigan, home to Swansea etc)

14 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Not nasty enough either, do anything to win. Complain to the ref, "win" a free kick, Football is about winning, 

if  you got promoted for being nasty we'd be quids in ,only wigan have a worse disciplinary record …..

1 hour ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I've been saying this for most of the season but I think the source of most of our problems is that we're just not fit enough.

We have a midfield of Lee, Bannan and Hutch all of whom are now 30+. We brought in Luongo who is 'only' 27 but frankly runs like he's in his 30's.

We have proved to be dreadful at holding on to a lead in the last 5 minutes - because we're knackered.

When we had a run of games over Christmas our form collapsed - because we were knackered.

Every other team just seems to run about a lot more than we do - because we're knackered

In some games, and last night was a classic example, we can look really good in the first 15 minutes. But then we just run out of steam. For a while last night we looked terrific with Lee and Bannan buzzing everywhere, making tackles, interceptions and runs. But then... nothing. Bannan in particular just disappeared. Let's face it Bannan is knackered and Lee is past it.

I don't know what the answer is in the short term because there's no-one else to replace them with. Lee at least did more in the first 15 minutes than Pelupessy has all season. There's no-one in the U23's ready to step up. The new guys look even slower, with the exception of Da Cruz who at least runs about a bit but has (as yet) no end product

Absolutely this. That's exactly what I've been trying to say. It wasn't direct for the first fifteen. We moved it around but as you say ran out of steam far too soon. Wickham I can understand, he's not played much, but he was blowing after 20 minutes.

As soon as they tire though out comes the lump ball and 40 yard worldy diagonals.

I think the problem we have is getting managers and coaches to match the players personalities 

this team was assembled mainly with softer nice guy Carlos and maybe they just don’t like being over pushed maybe we have a team of pre Madonna’s that switch off to certain management style and the best way to get the best out of them is to coach them to what makes them play 

its a bit like school teaching different kids need different methods and I’m guessing we have too many needing a different method to what monk coaches until he gets the right players with the right mentality and attitude to be receptive to his methods I think they’ve just switched off 

I’d also imagine there’s a big click between the players with how long they’ve been together 

it needs breaking up or getting a manager in that can work with them 

I think monk really cares and has more fight in him than the players I just don’t think they respond to him 

I disagree. I think the poor little powderpuffs need to get their heads out of their arses, or each others for that matter and start earning the 30k per week their being paid.

No more pandering to them. If they can't take a few stern words about attitude and lack of application they should feck off to their safe spaces and rock themselves in the corner.

Give me strength.

They are are supposed to be warriors not delicate little flowers.