Poor Squad Myth

2 hours ago, jrh said:

It's really starting to frustrate me that many are convinced that a clear out is the only way forward. 

Even in the last year we have shown that we can be more than capable of competing in this league. Under Bruce we made a late play off push from looking like we had no chance and 8 games ago we were 3rd in the league. 

This whole downfall has been a result of countless bad decisions, tactics and problems caused by Monk. 

Even look at last night. We go to 3 at the back which you can make a strong argument for being a good formation with us I think most people with common sense would have had Iorfa at the right of the 3, Lees central and Borner left. Iorfa ended up being the central one more often than not and its just ridiculous. Then the left wing back. Well just wow. I prefer Forestieri on the left but on the left with limiting his defensive responsibility as much as possible. I actually thought he did an okay job to be honest and from left wing back still looked the most likely to make something happen in the first half. 

As for the players not being good enough. Well let's just have a look:

Goalkeepers: Dawson, Westwood both very good and Wildsmith not bad at all (having never really had a run of games). 

Centre Back: Lees, Iorfa and Borner have all been rubbish of late granted but have all shown they can be very good at this level. 

Full backs: Palmer is very steady, I have never rated Fox but you can't fault him the last couple of months. Still believe this position needs strengthening. 

Centre Mids: Bannan, Lee, Hutchinson, Luongo are all very very good players. They all have great ability and if instructed right then there won't be many better groups of 4 in the league. 

Wingers: Harris has been quality, yes the last month and a bit has been hard but most of what he has done when he gets the ball has still been pretty effective and he is dangerous. Forestieri (striker/left winger but I'd play him in the left side which is why I've put him here) is quality just lacks a bit of discipline at times. Reach's quality isn't the best but will always put you a shift in. 

Strikers: Fletcher obviously injured but has been quality this season. Da Cruz has looked very good so far, good touch, uses the ball well but it's difficult for anyone in the team currently because we are creating nothing. Rhodes has to be given chances to score and again in a team like this it's pointless because he isn't going to pick the ball up deep run at people and score. Winnall-the same. In my opinion Nuhiu should never start but is useful in the last 15 mins of games because he's just difficult (personally wouldn't renew the contract). Wickham has obvious class, needs some games and service. 

Put it this way if Chris Wilder had our squad I think we'd be doing pretty well. 

3 of those have been at the club since 2016, 4 managers have tried to get the best out of them, only in flashes, these [players are the reason we have not been successful.

2 are too lightweight for the C/m role, 1 is a liability in the c/m, only louongo is free from any criticism, at the moment, but when he and Pellupessy have played to gether in c/m have we looked dangerous.

Most of those players would not get any where near a Wilder squad, let alone the team.

1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Wilder has a squad that is incredibly fit with players that rarely get injured and thus he plays at an incredible tempo.  His goalkeeper, back 5 and midfield 3 have hardly had an injury for 3 years.

What on earth makes you look at our squad and think that Wilder could get that out of our players when they have constantly proved that the one thing you can rely upon them to do is get injured.

Also, the real myth is our fans thinking that Wilder has got United promoted with a rubbish set of players just because he didn't pay much money for them.

Henderson is a fantastic keeper.  Egan and O'Connell have barely put a foot wrong for 2 years.  Stevens was as good last season as any full back I've seen at this level.

Norwood and Fleck are superb players and Billy Sharp was that elusive 20 goal striker that we cannot get.

Our squad is aging, lacks athleticism and is injury prone.

Stop it!, talking common sense on here is banned.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

They aren’t bad, and cost next to nothing by Championship standards

In 2016, when Colin was the manager of Rovrum, I told a Rovrum mate that if they wanted to beat us, all they had to do was get in the faces of our midfield and they would collapse.

That midfield included BANNAN, LEE, HUTCHINSON, nowts changed.

fans are calling for the coaches to do some thing, well what about leaving out the players who have failed consistently over the last 4 seasons, and try other players.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

They aren’t bad, and cost next to nothing by Championship standards

Big difference between aren’t bad and a statement like

Centre Mids: Bannan, Lee, Hutchinson, Luongo are all very very good players. They all have great ability and if instructed right then there won't be many better groups of 4 in theleague. 

I don't think we have a squad that on paper looks ready for top six. When we were top six we were I felt doing well relative to expectations. 

Form in the latter part of last season suggested a decent midtable. With a couple of squad improvements that seemed a reasonable hope. 

It is sort of where we are but it is one thing to be consistently midtable, quite another to be falling like a stone and playing every bit as badly as the results suggest. 

2 hours ago, metaframe said:

The lack of getting crosses into the box seems to be the biggest change - we were scoring so many goals that way. 

Harris put in a fantastic cross in last few minutes last night, and what do our 3 forwards do? absolutely nothing, they just stood there waiting for something to happen instead of attacking the ball and making something happen. 

18 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

I don't think we have a squad that on paper looks ready for top six. When we were top six we were I felt doing well relative to expectations. 

Form in the latter part of last season suggested a decent midtable. With a couple of squad improvements that seemed a reasonable hope. 

It is sort of where we are but it is one thing to be consistently midtable, quite another to be falling like a stone and playing every bit as badly as the results suggest. 

True, but it never has been a squad that you would expect to get into the top six To do that, the manager has to have a little bit about him, able to motivate a squad to perform greater than its parts Only Carlos has really managed to do that

edit. Wilder is a better example

Edited by gurujuan

27 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Didn't Bruce have to read the same players the riot act in that period be cause of lack of aptitude?.

Some thing need change, but not the manager.

Just now, adelphi1867 said:

Didn't Bruce have to read the same players the riot act in that period be cause of lack of aptitude?.

Some thing need change, but not the manager.

Yes he did, so that was Jos, Bruce and Monk, all incapable of getting a tune out of the squad. Only Carlos has managed that, and it’s no coincidence that he was the only one who was tactically aware All the others making excuses for their own shortcomings

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

True, but it never has been a squad that you would expect to get into the top six To do that, the manager has to have a little bit about him, able to motivate a squad to perform greater than its parts Only Carlos has really managed to do that

edit. Wilder is a better example

The manager did, 6 weeks ago, but you can only rely on motivation to a certain degree, the players have to be able motivate them selves.

The squad of ageing players do not seem able to do that.

Last night's line up told me we would struggle with Bannan and Lee as our mid field duo, but Monk made a mistake trying to play a 3 man C/D, you do not make that sort of change at this time of the season, espescially when you do not have the players to fit.

1 minute ago, adelphi1867 said:

The manager did, 6 weeks ago, but you can only rely on motivation to a certain degree, the players have to be able motivate them selves.

The squad of ageing players do not seem able to do that.

Last night's line up told me we would struggle with Bannan and Lee as our mid field duo, but Monk made a mistake trying to play a 3 man C/D, you do not make that sort of change at this time of the season, espescially when you do not have the players to fit.

Yes I thought the same when I saw the set up. Then again, I don’t think tactics are his strong point.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes he did, so that was Jos, Bruce and Monk, all incapable of getting a tune out of the squad. Only Carlos has managed that, and it’s no coincidence that he was the only one who was tactically aware All the others making excuses for their own shortcomings

You are joking surely?, don't you remember the Huddersfield game away?, the 4-2 thrashing that the Blades gave us?, being out fought and outhought by Rovrum?, the number of times we folded once the League learned how to beat us, but mostly WEMBLEY?.

And you still believe he is a good manager?.

I said at the time, 2016, that we would live to regret his appointment.

Edited by adelphi1867

2 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

You are joking surely?, don't you remember the Huddersfield game away?, the 4-2 thrashing that the Blades gave us?, being out fought and outhought by Rovrum?, the number of times we folded once the League learned how to beat us, but mostly WEMBLEY?.

Yeah all those things were low points, but those sort of setbacks are happening all the time in this league, look no further than Leeds Clearly he got more right than wrong, hence two play off campaigns The table usually reflects the season as a whole. 

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

To be fair Carlos had them when they were 4 years younger and before the crippling injuries really took hold. 

Not sure he was tactically aware..dropping Lopez to shoehorn in the final and changing to a Fernando/Hooper pairing which had previously not clicked.  After season 1 the tactics were much more negative. Even though most of the squad were still in decent nick fitness wise.