Stick by Monk

2 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

Rowett or Holloway would not have had the same problems with the squad that monk has had ......Their man management skills are far better but chansiri couldn’t be arsed to interviews either one 

Load of crap 

3 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

Last night's performance was horrid, as have been many games since Christmas. But we can't keep dumping off a manager after a bad run, or we'll end up going around in circles as we always do.

Monk hasn't become an awful manager over the last couple of months, there are clearly problems in the dressing room but he's been trusted to be the manager so we need to let him sort them. Even if it takes some more poor/results performances until the summer. It's not like Hutch and Westy are long term options at this club anymore anyway.

Unless we keeping losing and get dragged into a relegation dogfight which is still highly unlikely, then stick by him and let him get the squad he wants in the summer. All he has had to stamp any mark on the squad is 3 loan players who are all currently unfit/lack match sharpness.

Every team has slumps in form, other clubs stick by their manager and give him time. Yes past managers have absolutely deserved to get sacked here but Monk is nowhere near that stage yet.

It's about time we stuck by someone and gave him a chance, next season we will see how Monk wants to play and what his transfer policy is (hopefully bringing in young players with good potential and future sell-on value on reasonable wages), and can judge him then. Monk ticked a lot of the boxes only 2 months ago: young, English (we can actually comprehend post match interviews unlike Carlos/Jos) good championship experience, fairly good record. And now he's suddenly garbage? I will be sick and tired of this club if we get rid of another manager too soon, we will be going around in circles yet again. Give him a bloody chance to sort things out.

Brave call fella, you'll not get many takers tho. 

3 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

We need someone that can sit down with Chansiri and produce a 3+ year plan of player recruitment, style of play and overall ambitions. Chansiri needs to identify that this is what he wants from a manager. The manager needs to be able to turn over a squad for relatively cheap and with the prospect of FFP looming over them. They not only have to turn the squad over but they have to try and make it grow in value. Money that we will need to use towards future FFP restrictions so we don't knock ourselves back 3+ seasons like our current short termism has caused us to do. Fans will only accept players that put the effort and desire in. I genuinely believe that is very hard to come by if all the players are on huge and varied wages. 

Do people trust Chansiri has the knowledge and guts to formulate a plan like this? Or will we continue to run the club day to day without a care about the future? 

I've said this for years but without a plan we will not progress at all. 

The sticking point is in the first sentence. Alas!

3 hours ago, Mr Hooper said:

Football is about opinions, but I have to disagree.

I don't rate the guy, true that you don't become a bad manager overnight, but he was never a good manager in the first place!

No track record of any promotion or longevity at a club. He's publicly slated the players (Which has back fired) Looks like a falling out with senior players, which is won't tell the media about, which just fuels speculation.

His tactics and decision making are worrying. I mean, even the biggest Monk fan surely can't stick up for putting Nando at LWB? I  mean cum'on, that's just silly.

His interviews are boring and repetitive. 

I'm all for giving managers time (Ie Carlos, should have been given longer after the success he brought, but that's another story)

But he's not showing any positive signs. 

Absolutely spot on.  

I keep reading that Monk needs time to build a team.  He's never built one in his whole short managerial career.  

I certainly wouldn't trust him to do that job.  

As it stands, he's sending us towards league 1.  

I am afraid it isn't going to work. I am not a supporter of too many changes of  managers so quickly and feel generally they need time. But after the strange choices last night, we are nose diving. He has brought in three players of his own choice and they are not performing either. 

Those who want to change the entire squad are talking nonsense.

1  That really is totally impracticable thing to do in a short summer, create a new squad of something like 15 players in time for return to training and get them playing well by August.

2  Based on the three new guys, could he do it anyway

We need a leader who is going to get the best out of many of the current players with some improvements and I don't think Mr Monk can do that. As others have said, there are managers who would have got the existing squad working hard, wanting to play, pushing for success and pushing for a play-off place. When we were in 5th place, we were aware that we had thrown away enough points in the last 10 minutes of games to have been in the automatic places. The way we are going , we could be in a relegation battle without any points deduction.

Sadly, I believe we also have to thank Lee Bullen but let him go back to his Estate Agency as well. 

1 minute ago, Ronio said:

Absolutely spot on.  

I keep reading that Monk needs time to build a team.  He's never built one in his whole short managerial career.  

I certainly wouldn't trust him to do that job.  

As it stands, he's sending us towards league 1.  

This ^

Monk has never, for various reasons, stuck long at any managerial job so far. Can you see a plan or something to grasp onto if he was given more time than till the end of the season? I'd love it if he turned it around and proved us wrong but I can't see it happening. Something's rotten at the club, we have appeared directionless on and off the pitch ever since the play off failures. 

We needed a strong respected experienced type of manager after Bruce and that's exactly what we need now. The issues run far deeper than the manager situation but at least someone experienced will garner respect. Long term a DOF is needed and we need to be smarter with recruitment and to start selling players, and a rebuild is long overdue. Short term we need a hard nosed experienced type to dig in and to sort this mess out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, striker said:

To be fair to Monk, he's working with what he was left, both on the pitch and backroom staff, with toxic elements in the playing squad. 

Whether Monk or not, we need to commit to a manager and give them time to rebuild the squad. 

3rd before xmas,look at it now,my impression is off Monk being a smug barsteward.we know Hutch..and Westwood have called his tactics..so they are sat in the bookies on eccy road matchday..they need to both play...if not i fear a drop into div 1

1 hour ago, brando said:

3rd before xmas,look at it now,my impression is off Monk being a smug barsteward.we know Hutch..and Westwood have called his tactics..so they are sat in the bookies on eccy road matchday..they need to both play...if not i fear a drop into div 1

So he must have been doing something right?

Two players mentioned lost their place on merit, now because they've seemingly thrown the toys out of their collective prams, that's the managers fault?

22 hours ago, LittleG said:

Sorry but your arguments for keeping him are pretty weak. You are assuming it's going to be Monks transfer policy to bring in younger players with resale value. With our lack of funds we are most likely looking at freebies and loans again so not sure we will ne picking up any future superstars. We can only judge Monk on what we have seen this season. His tactics, formations, subs etc have been far from convincing; couple this with the lack of excitement and goals we have seen at home, then I'm not sure I could trust him to build a new squad. His football is as boring as his personality.

I know,if you want exciting football and great personality,what about Carlos?

On 13/02/2020 at 11:31, swfc-dan said:

Last night's performance was horrid, as have been many games since Christmas. But we can't keep dumping off a manager after a bad run, or we'll end up going around in circles as we always do.

Monk hasn't become an awful manager over the last couple of months, there are clearly problems in the dressing room but he's been trusted to be the manager so we need to let him sort them. Even if it takes some more poor/results performances until the summer. It's not like Hutch and Westy are long term options at this club anymore anyway.

Unless we keeping losing and get dragged into a relegation dogfight which is still highly unlikely, then stick by him and let him get the squad he wants in the summer. All he has had to stamp any mark on the squad is 3 loan players who are all currently unfit/lack match sharpness.

Every team has slumps in form, other clubs stick by their manager and give him time. Yes past managers have absolutely deserved to get sacked here but Monk is nowhere near that stage yet.

It's about time we stuck by someone and gave him a chance, next season we will see how Monk wants to play and what his transfer policy is (hopefully bringing in young players with good potential and future sell-on value on reasonable wages), and can judge him then. Monk ticked a lot of the boxes only 2 months ago: young, English (we can actually comprehend post match interviews unlike Carlos/Jos) good championship experience, fairly good record. And now he's suddenly garbage? I will be sick and tired of this club if we get rid of another manager too soon, we will be going around in circles yet again. Give him a bloody chance to sort things out.

Excellent post.The best on here.

Back in the winter of 2018 there was much discussion about whether Danny Cipriani, who was on fire for Glawster at the time, should return to the England squad. Sir Clive Woodward was asked as an aside during a pannel discussion about what he did about difficult players who were hard to handle. He replied "I never had any". He didn't mean that there weren't big egos, in fact there were plenty in England's squad in 2003, but the culture that he built with the senior players meant that it did not become problematic.

Okay not players fault = tactics ie one up front at home, negative play ie Blackburn waiting till last 20mins to attack, substitutions ie taking off your strikers when one nil up to then lose 2-1. Attitude,  never sounds anything than dull, slightly sulky and uninspiring. Finally says playoffs were never realistic when even playing sh#t we were 6 points off. Also after selling me a season ticket this time last year with Mr C saying top two was the aim as he did sat next to monk. 

Squad needs sorting and needs someone to be tough but inspiring with tactical nouse who plays attractive money (given the price we pay to watch)

SACK HIM. Sorry but we didn't get what we paid for.

Guest LittleG
28 minutes ago, pioowl said:

I know,if you want exciting football and great personality,what about Carlos?

Like everybody I want winning football, which hopefully comes with a smidgen of entertainment. I only go to home matches and what I've seen this season, on top of not good enough results, is one dimensional football; hoof it to the big man up front. I respect your opinion If you think Monk can turn things around with the players released in the summer and some of his signings coming in. Hope you're right but the football I've seen so far puts some doubt in my mind.

On 13/02/2020 at 11:47, torres said:

I was pleased with his appointment

I wasn't expecting fireworks, but expected a solid team that worked hard and everyone knew their role

Almost that b*stard team - that would kick their granny for a win

It started exactly like this  - a mix of 2 formations and you knew what you would get 

Then he started messing about!

Last nights tactical disaster has left me perplexed and frustrated with him as much as the players 

I think that sort of sums it up for me as well.

His approach seemed solid and workmanlike with round pegs in round holes. Uncomplicated, where players knew their roles. Not particularly exciting, but suited us at the point we were at & we were winning games.

For me, splitting up Iorfa & Borner and bringing Lees back in was the start (even allowing for injuries). Suddenly the solid back line looks nervous, they weren’t moving the ball forward from defence, Bannan has to go hunting deep for it blah blah blah. 
Then suddenly the other night, FF who had looked dangerous on his return was played wing back.

Borner was somewhere out on the left like a fish out of water, with Lees looking like an England Rugby international, finding touch with astounding regularity. The result is well documented. 
Big Ron when he first came, played players in their correct positions, kept it simple & reaped the rewards. Bruce did the same, Monk seems to have gone the other way with bizarre decisions & formations.

Can’t say I’m totally convinced to be honest.

• Like 1