Stick by Monk

Guest Jack the Hat

Whilst I agree changing managers is not the way forward, neither is sticking with the wrong choice. I believe Monk is the wrong choice. We are a big club and we need a big manager. A big manager would easily deal with Westwood and hutch whilst at the same time getting the best out of them. It’s no coincidence how our form increased when Bruce took over and played them. I don’t know what the answer is but it isn’t Monk. I don’t think the squad is as bad as people make out and with the contract situations there will naturally be a large turnover in the summer anyway. We need the right man for that and we can’t gamble on monk on what we have seen so far.

Backed him to the hilt up to last night .

The line up 

the substitutions and how we played were totally baffling. 
Never thought I would say this but we need Fox back 

I think Monk has had a go at all out attack the last two games against two bottom 3 sides and it has gone wrong 

I think he deserves time - although the team selection, formation, player commitment and tactics over recent games is becoming a worry to me. 

He came to us with a track record of starting brightly at clubs and then going backwards, with a reputation for negative football and unimaginative substitutions. He hasn't changed, then.

Does anybody really feel confident in entrusting him with our most important summer transfer window for many years?

He is completely out of his depth and he knows it. 

Just listen to his post-match interview. 

The guy is done for and is waiting for Chansiri to put him out of his misery. 

We will lose against Reading. 

Zero tactical nounce, the guys tried and tested every formation going and still hasn’t stuck with a winning formula, now it’s playing players out of position and now looks it’s become toxic again!!! 

bullen been here doesn’t help as well still got the past lingering around the club, get rid of monk, paxio (what ever his name is) and bullen. Also the squad who’s contracts are due to expire and start again, get a manger in that has free reigns of the club and also gets to bring his own staff in. We will continue to going round in circles whilst the poison is still around our club. 

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

We need someone that can sit down with Chansiri and produce a 3+ year plan of player recruitment, style of play and overall ambitions. Chansiri needs to identify that this is what he wants from a manager. The manager needs to be able to turn over a squad for relatively cheap and with the prospect of FFP looming over them. They not only have to turn the squad over but they have to try and make it grow in value. Money that we will need to use towards future FFP restrictions so we don't knock ourselves back 3+ seasons like our current short termism has caused us to do. Fans will only accept players that put the effort and desire in. I genuinely believe that is very hard to come by if all the players are on huge and varied wages. 

Do people trust Chansiri has the knowledge and guts to formulate a plan like this? Or will we continue to run the club day to day without a care about the future? 

I've said this for years but without a plan we will not progress at all. 

You're absolutely right.

The problem is, of course, DC himself. I appreciate his heart is i the right place and his commitment in financial terms has been brilliant. But he is ultimately going to be the owner who spent a fortune to take us backwards. When he came in he was hailed as a successful businessman. This was not true then and it is not true now. He is an heir. He has made a small fortune by starting with a large one. He runs the club like a spoilt child because that is precisely what he is.

The thing is, there are many posters on here, ones who are not usually prone to making knee jerk reactions, who feel that we are going nowhere with Monk. There are wider issues, of course there are, but irrespective of those other factors, Monk is not a good fit

Think it needs a total restructure from the very top, DC has two choices, either sells up or steps aside to let someone run the club for him, their is so much wrong on and off the pitch I don't know where to start. We are going backwards on the pitch, we are losing the bond with our fanbase, identity with the community. We need a experienced football man as a general manager/director of football to set up a strategy for the future and get supporters back on board. Thought Steve Bruce was going to be the man but this is the sort of person we need. 

Problem is he said he changed the formation last night to give the team some belief to attack. It didn't work.

What's next? Another attempt at a different formation? Throwing together these different formulas and hoping it pays off will not work.

We need a plan rather than going into every game just hoping it pays off.

1 hour ago, Mr Hooper said:

Looks like a falling out with senior players, which is won't tell the media about, which just fuels speculation.

I wonder how much this is the public opinion out there or whether it's just what people on here/Owlstalk keep reiterating since that rumour surfaced and now we throw it around as if it's a fact.

It’s not just about the results, it’s the performances and the standard of the opposition that’s worrying about our recent slump. I don’t believe Monk has the slightest idea how to turn us around. 

We can’t continue as we are, simply limping towards the end of the season in the hope of offloading a number of out of contract players. Even a modest points deduction could see us starting next season in League 1. Something has to change, and quickly. 

There often comes a time in a manager’s career where he reaches a point of no return with the fanbase. From that point onwards, it’s usually only a matter of time before the manager is sacked or he resigns. It happened with Carlos and it happened with Jos. For Monk, I believe that he reached that point last night. 

We need to get rid of these players who are the main issue, The same names again as under Jos don't seem to want to play for the manager or managers. Steve Bruce wasn't here long enough for them to pull the same trick on him but I wouldn't have ruled it out given time, these so called superstars are a total disgrace. If the players are in a position of power then NO MANAGER is going to be able to do his job. If these top superstars are not going to play again for us this season pay them off and get them out of the club, Send out a clear message that less than 100% effort will not be tolerated by the manager and the club, Maybe that way you won't get the wee wee poor half-arsed performances from Bannan and co seen recently.

The training session video for me on the Official site after the Transfer window closed gave me an insight into the mentality of what we have employed, most of them just going through the motions, chatting laughing and joking and no work ethic at all. Monk has his hands tied as this sort of attitude spreads quickly if it's not cut out and dealt with. Get rid of the cosy culture that's developed in the backroom staff and players and get them playing for the shirt and the fans not just themselves. If the players force Monk out then nobody else coming in stands a chance as they have shown who is in charge and will do the same for the next guy and so on. I have Zero time for any of them who are not committed to the cause, Selfish Pr1cks

Edited by Prince

2 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

We need someone that can sit down with Chansiri and produce a 3+ year plan of player recruitment, style of play and overall ambitions. Chansiri needs to identify that this is what he wants from a manager. The manager needs to be able to turn over a squad for relatively cheap and with the prospect of FFP looming over them. They not only have to turn the squad over but they have to try and make it grow in value. Money that we will need to use towards future FFP restrictions so we don't knock ourselves back 3+ seasons like our current short termism has caused us to do. Fans will only accept players that put the effort and desire in. I genuinely believe that is very hard to come by if all the players are on huge and varied wages. 

Do people trust Chansiri has the knowledge and guts to formulate a plan like this? Or will we continue to run the club day to day without a care about the future? 

bet it is almost impossible to sit down with DC and have an honest conversation. He would hate hearing things he needs to improve on etc. Going on how he behaved in the fans form and threw his toys out the pram and said he would sell the club because he didn’t like what people said. 

3 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

I agree with this to the most extent but don't think we need a 3 year plan, we just need a plan full stop. A plan to buy cheaper, younger players with future value either here or to sell on elsewhere. And a manager who knows what he wants, how to play and most importantly how to win.

When Wilder came to the Pigs he wasn't looking 3 years down the line, he just knew the gems to find from the lower leagues who would work in his style of play and have future sell on value. Each year he was just focused on doing the best possible that season. And if you are a talented manager then promotion can always be in with a chance.

I agree though Chansiri isn't the man to formulate a plan. He's had a very short term mindset and I don't see it changing until he sells.

And as for Monk, we know Chansiri is incredibly loyal to managers (far too loyal), so I can only see him changing if there becomes a genuine chance of relegation. I still think we will get things together, and that seems highly unlikely to me. So I think we should just put a lid on the managers criticism for now.

Edited by swfc-dan

Guest LittleG
3 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

Last night's performance was horrid, as have been many games since Christmas. But we can't keep dumping off a manager after a bad run, or we'll end up going around in circles as we always do.

Monk hasn't become an awful manager over the last couple of months, there are clearly problems in the dressing room but he's been trusted to be the manager so we need to let him sort them. Even if it takes some more poor/results performances until the summer. It's not like Hutch and Westy are long term options at this club anymore anyway.

Unless we keeping losing and get dragged into a relegation dogfight which is still highly unlikely, then stick by him and let him get the squad he wants in the summer. All he has had to stamp any mark on the squad is 3 loan players who are all currently unfit/lack match sharpness.

Every team has slumps in form, other clubs stick by their manager and give him time. Yes past managers have absolutely deserved to get sacked here but Monk is nowhere near that stage yet.

It's about time we stuck by someone and gave him a chance, next season we will see how Monk wants to play and what his transfer policy is (hopefully bringing in young players with good potential and future sell-on value on reasonable wages), and can judge him then. Monk ticked a lot of the boxes only 2 months ago: young, English (we can actually comprehend post match interviews unlike Carlos/Jos) good championship experience, fairly good record. And now he's suddenly garbage? I will be sick and tired of this club if we get rid of another manager too soon, we will be going around in circles yet again. Give him a bloody chance to sort things out.

Sorry but your arguments for keeping him are pretty weak. You are assuming it's going to be Monks transfer policy to bring in younger players with resale value. With our lack of funds we are most likely looking at freebies and loans again so not sure we will ne picking up any future superstars. We can only judge Monk on what we have seen this season. His tactics, formations, subs etc have been far from convincing; couple this with the lack of excitement and goals we have seen at home, then I'm not sure I could trust him to build a new squad. His football is as boring as his personality.

He hasn’t been helped by what looks like 3 really bad loan signings. Wickham moves like he is pregnant with Adthe Nuhiu, the movement of Da Cruz is like a wasp you have donked with a rolled up newspaper but haven’t managed to kill and is now buzzing non stop in random directions and Windass seems to be playing ‘between lines’ where the ball never goes.