Stick by Monk

Last night's performance was horrid, as have been many games since Christmas. But we can't keep dumping off a manager after a bad run, or we'll end up going around in circles as we always do.

Monk hasn't become an awful manager over the last couple of months, there are clearly problems in the dressing room but he's been trusted to be the manager so we need to let him sort them. Even if it takes some more poor/results performances until the summer. It's not like Hutch and Westy are long term options at this club anymore anyway.

Unless we keeping losing and get dragged into a relegation dogfight which is still highly unlikely, then stick by him and let him get the squad he wants in the summer. All he has had to stamp any mark on the squad is 3 loan players who are all currently unfit/lack match sharpness.

Every team has slumps in form, other clubs stick by their manager and give him time. Yes past managers have absolutely deserved to get sacked here but Monk is nowhere near that stage yet.

It's about time we stuck by someone and gave him a chance, next season we will see how Monk wants to play and what his transfer policy is (hopefully bringing in young players with good potential and future sell-on value on reasonable wages), and can judge him then. Monk ticked a lot of the boxes only 2 months ago: young, English (we can actually comprehend post match interviews unlike Carlos/Jos) good championship experience, fairly good record. And now he's suddenly garbage? I will be sick and tired of this club if we get rid of another manager too soon, we will be going around in circles yet again. Give him a bloody chance to sort things out.

Edited by swfc-dan

Football is about opinions, but I have to disagree.

I don't rate the guy, true that you don't become a bad manager overnight, but he was never a good manager in the first place!

No track record of any promotion or longevity at a club. He's publicly slated the players (Which has back fired) Looks like a falling out with senior players, which is won't tell the media about, which just fuels speculation.

His tactics and decision making are worrying. I mean, even the biggest Monk fan surely can't stick up for putting Nando at LWB? I  mean cum'on, that's just silly.

His interviews are boring and repetitive. 

I'm all for giving managers time (Ie Carlos, should have been given longer after the success he brought, but that's another story)

But he's not showing any positive signs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally think it has gone to far now with Monk. However If he does stay he needs to be able to bring his own backroom staff in, get rid of Bullen and apart from Fox let every single one of the out of contract players leave in the summer. If he renews any of them he deserves the sack. 

We need someone that can sit down with Chansiri and produce a 3+ year plan of player recruitment, style of play and overall ambitions. Chansiri needs to identify that this is what he wants from a manager. The manager needs to be able to turn over a squad for relatively cheap and with the prospect of FFP looming over them. They not only have to turn the squad over but they have to try and make it grow in value. Money that we will need to use towards future FFP restrictions so we don't knock ourselves back 3+ seasons like our current short termism has caused us to do. Fans will only accept players that put the effort and desire in. I genuinely believe that is very hard to come by if all the players are on huge and varied wages. 

Do people trust Chansiri has the knowledge and guts to formulate a plan like this? Or will we continue to run the club day to day without a care about the future? 

I've said this for years but without a plan we will not progress at all. 

Guest wilyfox

I won't stand by a manager that puts players in dumb positions and tinkers with formations out of desperation. It shows there's no real plan or philosophy. 

The thing is there aren’t even any signs of us improving. No positives whatsoever. Monk has ran out of ideas and hasn’t a clue how to motivate these players. Some of his decisions, formations and playing players in flippingstupid positions is embarrassing. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

I was pleased with his appointment

I wasn't expecting fireworks, but expected a solid team that worked hard and everyone knew their role

Almost that b*stard team - that would kick their granny for a win

It started exactly like this  - a mix of 2 formations and you knew what you would get 

Then he started messing about!

Last nights tactical disaster has left me perplexed and frustrated with him as much as the players 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

We need someone that can sit down with Chansiri and produce a 3+ year plan of player recruitment, style of play and overall ambitions. Chansiri needs to identify that this is what he wants from a manager. The manager needs to be able to turn over a squad for relatively cheap and with the prospect of FFP looming over them. They not only have to turn the squad over but they have to try and make it grow in value. Money that we will need to use towards future FFP restrictions so we don't knock ourselves back 3+ seasons like our current short termism has caused us to do. Fans will only accept players that put the effort and desire in. I genuinely believe that is very hard to come by if all the players are on huge and varied wages. 

Do people trust Chansiri has the knowledge and guts to formulate a plan like this? Or will we continue to run the club day to day without a care about the future? 

Dont come on here talking sense you, you, you Charlatan you

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, modboy said:

We need to be brave and make s decision.

If he's only under contract until the end of the season as suggested it's time to put him (and bully) on gardening leave, and get a whole new team ready for the summer reshaping 

unfortunately DC would never plan ahead and be that pro active. We will probably end up going in to next season with no permanent manager just like we did this season. 

19 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Good post!!!!

40 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Agree with this. I also think if the club are honest, the fans will get on board too. 

Giving Monk a 12 month deal hardly installs confidence that a king term plan is in place though does it. Also think if players do go against him fact he’s out of contract soon hardly makes you think he’ll win the row with them. 

I’d love to see us set out a long term strategy and stick to it. Not fold the moment results go against us, there’s a lot of rot to get rid of before it’s going to get better. 

54 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Unless we keeping losing and get dragged into a relegation dogfight which is still highly unlikely,

I would think it's nailed on, never mind unlikely.

We are dropping like a stone with no signs of improvement.

If we do get points deducted, relegation is very very likely.

Had enough. 
Thought he was an uninspired appointment from an albeit limited field of runners. Obviously won me over when we were 3rd a few weeks ago but already I cannot see him turning this around. 
The lineup at Barnsley where he threw in 3 players of various fitness levels for their debuts was ridiculous and we got the performance I expected. The team last night was an utter shambles. 
Sh ite