36 minutes ago, jimi said:

This stands out from the rest of your post for me.

Of course we would. However in my opinion this argument's invalid. Without being entirely reliant on luck, this circumstance is nigh on impossible. Long term, you just cannot make all the mistakes he's made and see success on the pitch. It is because of all the other foibles around the club that on the pitch we're in this plight. And as the man at the very top, every single one of those foibles is on him.

After his initial gamble failed he should have changed approach and started to plan for the long term. Heck, even if his initial gamble had seen us promoted to the Premier League his immediate focus should have turned to planning for the long term.

It's a fair point but we've never been good in that regard in modern memory, have we? We've never sold well, we've never built a young, hungry squad... who was the last chairman to do that successfully at Wednesday?

9 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

My season ticket works out at about £24 a game. Add in the games I can't go to it ups to near £30. Our STs are expensive compared to other teams. 

At 1980s prices I should be paying less than a tenner POTG. 

Thats the thing... the only part of football thats really changed since the 80s is the money side, its still 11 v 11 running around a field and success (or lack thereof) still comes as much down to luck / the rub of the green as it does money, it just that the amount of money required to compete has increased disproportionately.

If you look back to the last 'great' team we had, you're looking at the early 90's... not a million miles from the 80s you refer to. Who did we buy during that time?

Peter Shirtliff - (bought late 80s) Bought at 28 (Not 'young')

Viv Anderson - Bought at 35

Chris Waddle - Bought at 32

Danny Wilson - Bought at 30

Trevor Francis - Bought at 36

I'm sure there are more... all coming to Wednesday for one last pay day (a criticism levelled at many recent signings). buying proven quality and no resale value worked then, it hasn't worked now.

Once that team moved on what did we do? Bought up and coming players (e.g. Andy Sinton) on 'big money'. It didn't work. Latterly we invested millions in unknown youngsters (Mark McKeever), whilst also plucking Steve Nicol out of semi-retirement... McKeever did nowt, Nicol was a surprise hit and one of our better players despite being about 45.

As fans we see things very much in black and white, we pay (very) good money and demand success but success isn't guaranteed. Aside from some outliers the general rule is the more money you spend the greater your chance of success.

image.png.c2dc22a4658a12e397937fc6c0ca014a.png

Someone has to pay, unless we scale back and go for the outliers chance of pulling off a surprise.

Spending a lot of money we're still entitled to be disappointed, and to voice our disappointment but the goalposts are moved somewhat in so much as a disappointing season is generally likely to be a midtable finish whereas scaled back we would have a much, much greater chance of a disappointing season ending in relegation.

image.png.0b74fca7327af8716e1a3f766229fc07.png

It's easy to sit here and see where things are going wrong, it's much harder to correct those issues, after all if it was easy we'd have surely had a much more successful last 30 years since the 80s...

16 hours ago, james o connor said:

Disagree 100% ... I’m not renewing my season ticket for a number of reasons ...

1. I barely bother going anymore as I just find it boring and tedious and not a good way to spend my hard earned free time. 
2. I can’t stand the chairman any longer . He literally is destroying what’s left of a once proud club . 
3. the players are an embarrassment and not fit to wear the shirt . I’m fed up of paying premier league prices to watch Barry bannan pass backwards 

all this support the club through thick and thin worked when I was a daft teenager but the fans really are being treated like dirt by the chairman , being rinsed for every penny . Some are happy / daft enough to carry on through blind loyalty , others have a point where enough is enough . 

Explain to me how it's worse than under DA.  Or even MM for that.  

I understand you can question the ability of the chairman, but he's continually shown willing to invest in the squad.  

We used to play on a sand pit that flooded at the drop of a hat.  We've now got one of the best pitches in the league.  That didn't happen by magic.  

If he's destroying the club then it's pride must have been long gone before he got here.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Explain to me how it's worse than under DA.  Or even MM for that.  

Dave Allen took us from 16th In League One when he became Chairman - to 9th in the Championship when he left

Milan Mandaric took us from 15th in League One when he became Chairman - to 9th in the Championship when he left (playing on a sand pit)

Dejphon Chansiri has taken us from 9th in the Championship when he became Chairman - to 12th when we kick off tomorrow.

As a football club we are judged on League position.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Dave Allen took us from 16th In League One when he became Chairman - to 9th in the Championship when he left

Milan Mandaric took us from 15th in League One when he became Chairman - to 9th in the Championship when he left (playing on a sand pit)

Dejphon Chansiri has taken us from 9th in the Championship when he became Chairman - to 12th when we kick off tomorrow.

Thats not fair though.

DC has spunked 150 million.

MM or DA didn't have that luxury.

• Like 2

Just now, Mr Farrell said:

Thats not fair though.

To be fair thats true. And we do have a quite wonderful pitch and scoreboard

1 minute ago, Mr Farrell said:

Thats not fair though.

Also - Milan Mandaric did inherit a brilliant team too that would have walked to promotion whoever was Chairman.

DefenderLewis Buxton
Defender/Centre backMark Beevers
Defender/Centre backDarren Purse
Defender/MidfielderTommy Spurr
MidfielderJermaine Johnson
MidfielderTommy Miller
MidfielderDarren Potter
MidfielderChris Sedgwick
ForwardGary Teale
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Grandad said:

So presumably you were calling for him to commit harakiri when you were walking down Wembley way?

And to say that your post is disingenuous would be an utter understatement.  Even for you, that's ludicrous.  Let's bring back DA, he's looking for a new club I'm sure. You'd be the first back through the gate when he takes over from DC I presume?

I haven't renewed. Prefer watching bit in my couch now. 

Loads cheaper and gives us time to do family things in the morning. Was different bwhen there was at atmosphere.

7 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Also - Milan Mandaric did inherit a brilliant team too that would have walked to promotion whoever was Chairman.

DefenderLewis Buxton
Defender/Centre backMark Beevers
Defender/Centre backDarren Purse
Defender/MidfielderTommy Spurr
MidfielderJermaine Johnson
MidfielderTommy Miller
MidfielderDarren Potter
MidfielderChris Sedgwick
ForwardGary Teale

The idea that a chairman is who controls the performances on the pitch. :ghoulguy:

Just now, LSOwls said:

I haven't renewed. Prefer watching bit in my couch now. 

Loads cheaper and gives us time to do family things in the morning. Was different bwhen there was at atmosphere.

There hasn't been an atmosphere (bar the odd game) for a decade or more.

Our fans want to be entertained and won't make a peep until they are.  At home at least.  And the last couple of away games too.

• Haha 1

Just now, mattitheowl said:

So presumably you were calling for him to commit harakiri when you were walking down Wembley way?

And to say that your post is disingenuous would be an utter understatement.  Even for you, that's ludicrous.  Let's bring back DA, he's looking for a new club I'm sure. You'd be the first back through the gate when he takes over from DC I presume?

Do you mean when Dave Richards was chairman? He got us to Wembley and into Europe- much more successful than Chansiri. 

• Like 1

I've had a season ticket for 20 years straight but given the way the club is being run at the moment and the impending points deduction I don't cannot stomach parting with north of £550 until I at least know

1. whether we are found guilty of anything

2. what the punishment is including any potential transfer embargo

3. what league we are in next season

I would rather find out these answers, hold on to my money for a bit longer, and pay a slightly inflated price. 

Anyone who is buying multi-year season and 10 year season tickets needs to give their head a wobble! 

Edited by hopevalleyowl

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Do you mean when Dave Richards was chairman? He got us to Wembley and into Europe- much more successful than Chansiri. 

I've no idea what you're asking.  My point was simple.  Were people moaning about DC being useless when we were 90 minutes from the Premier League?  Or the season after when we were 180 minutes away (and had our best league finish in about 18 years)?

It's too easy to simply level criticism at people when things aren't going well.  Lay blame at their feet and call them useless.  But it's utterly unfair after they have had periods of success and nobody batted an eye.  

Clearly we're paying for gambling and losing and DC has to figure out what the future looks like and how we're going to do it.  But simply calling for DC to leave is stupid.  It's the usual short term nonsense that football fans suffer from.  You lose a game and you're the worst team in the world, you win and all is forgiven.  

8 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

I'm sorry if you can't deal with facts

Opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one. I thought I'd not upset anybody if I stick to the facts. 

You said 'how is it worse than under DA or MM'

I showed you

9 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

The idea that a chairman is who controls the performances on the pitch. :ghoulguy:

Doesn't the Chairman help the manager build the squad?

Oh hang on

:ghoulguy:

3 minutes ago, hopevalleyowl said:

I've had a season ticket for 20 years straight but given the way the club is being run at the moment and the impending points deduction I don't cannot stomach parting with north of £550 until I at least know

1. whether we are found guilty of anything

2. what the punishment is including any potential transfer embargo

3. what league we are in next season

I would rather find out these answers, hold on to my money for a bit longer, and pay a slightly inflated price. 

Anyone who is buying multi-year season and 10 year season tickets needs to give their head a wobble! 

Or maybe they just love the club and want to support it.  I've had a season ticket since about '95 so I've seen plenty of rubbish.  And you know what, I'd support us in league 2.  Because Wednesday isn't a choice for me.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OurDan said:

Opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one. I thought I'd not upset anybody if I stick to the facts. 

I showed you

Did you now Dan?

Because I'm pretty sure I quoted Grandad.  Who was stating the "facts".

35 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Oh, how did that happen?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Did you now Dan?

Because I'm pretty sure I quoted Grandad.  Who was stating the "facts".

Oh, how did that happen?

I moved into the house from the office - where we have a tablet that we both use. And he was logged in. (And still is)

Until I recently acknowledged an unjust warning point I received it was my only way to view the site

Now. While Im signing in as Grandad - you can perhaps get to the facts?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OurDan said:

I moved into the house from the office - where we have a tablet that we both use. And he was logged in. (And still is)

Until I recently acknowledged an unjust warning point I received it was my only way to view the site

Now. While Im signing in as Grandad - you can perhaps get to the facts?

The fact that you are saying the club was better off under DA?  That FACT? :ghoulguy:

14 minutes ago, OurDan said:

I showed you

12 minutes ago, OurDan said:

Doesn't the Chairman help the manager build the squad?

Oh hang on

:ghoulguy:

Excellent points son

Couldnt have put it better myself 

• Haha 2