Last Season Ticket?

13 hours ago, Steelman said:

On Monday I renewed mine and my 13 year old's season ticket. Like most who have, I've only been paid once since Christmas, and Christmas was quite expensive. I wasn't happy that it had been brought forward two months and couldn't help but feel I'd been taken advantage of, like a mug. Why had they been brought forward by a couple of months? Are we having more cash flow problems with FFP? Does the club know we've got a points deduction coming in February or March that would in all likelihood mean we get relegated to League 1? Would we start next season in the championship with a points deduction making it a write-off before a ball is kicked? All legitimate considerations that still haven't been answered.

When I'd paid for the tickets instead of excitement, optimism or even hope at another season of watching Wednesday I just felt used, taken advantage of, dirty even. And not in a good way. So why did I renew?

I think like most who have, or will at a later date, we will watch Wednesday regardless. It's about time with family and friends in the pub before and after as well as the banter that you have with the random ST holders that you sit with. People who you would never meet in real life but who you are thrown together with because of your shared love for Wednesday. Then after a few seasons they aren't strangers, they're your weekend family. It's our own little cult and it's ours. Then there's the away days. We all know how the TPP system works in relation to season tickets. I've built mine up over years to the stage I can go to any away games I want. And I go to plenty, either as lads and dads thing with friends who've also built their points up over time, and their kids, or some heavy all day benders with the lads. Both are top days out in their own ways. Notice how I haven' actually mentioned the football yet? The football is secondary to a degree and that's how "they" get you. I'm sure when asked about the match all of us will have said on at least half a dozen occasions that we've "had a great day out ruined by 90 minutes of football".

It's the life of about 99.9% of football fans. I do not want to give it up and Chansiri knows that, the "club" knows that, that's why we're taken for granted that's why people will renew. That's how they get us.

But people aren't stupid. There's a point where the football becomes so bad, where the club becomes such a shambles that people walk away. So I'll pay my Premier League Prices for what's possibly a League 1 season ticket next season. Or a season where we start with a 20 point deduction where "success" will be defined by finishing 4th bottom. There's no optimism from me about the number of players out of contract and the opportunity to rebuild. This club is such a shambles and so toxic with Chansiri in charge that I don't think we'll be able to attract players. I can easily see us starting next season without enough senior pro's to make up a full matchday squad.

So enjoy my ST money SWFC and please try to spend it wisely. But also bear this in mind. You will not takethepiss out of me for another season after the next one. If you serve League 1 football at Premier League prices I'll walk. If I continue to see what I'm currently seeing I'll walk. Because there's only so far you can go with an incompetent and dishonest set-up before the fans will walk away. I will not continue to be fleeced because of blind loyalty after next season and I'm sure many of us are at that tipping point now.

#Chansisriout

It's not compulsory !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

It's funny, because we had people saying the exact same thing under DA and Milan, yet attendances stay about the same.  People who find an excuse not to go will always find an excuse not to go.  The Chairman, the manager, the football, the food in the North, the weather.  It's your choice, that's fine.  But don't go round bad mouthing the club because you've fallen out with them.  It's been here longer than you have and will be here long after you go.  You're a tiny part of it.  Nobody makes you go and you have no god given right to be bowed down to for all your merry whims and wishes.  Support the club or don't.  Simple as that.  But if you don't support it at it's lowest, I find it distasteful that you come back when it's at it's height.

Disagree 100% ... I’m not renewing my season ticket for a number of reasons ...

1. I barely bother going anymore as I just find it boring and tedious and not a good way to spend my hard earned free time. 
2. I can’t stand the chairman any longer . He literally is destroying what’s left of a once proud club . 
3. the players are an embarrassment and not fit to wear the shirt . I’m fed up of paying premier league prices to watch Barry bannan pass backwards 

all this support the club through thick and thin worked when I was a daft teenager but the fans really are being treated like dirt by the chairman , being rinsed for every penny . Some are happy / daft enough to carry on through blind loyalty , others have a point where enough is enough . 

2 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Haven't renewed before the deadline. Let's see how this season pans out first, see if we actually get rid of some deadwood & invest in some good new players. Also see how the court case with the EFL & the SAG restrictions turn out. And the manager!  If I save a tenner a month from now onwards & we seem to be changing for the better, I'll have the extra few quid to renew at a later date. Assuming the price will go up from early bird.........................

:duntmatter::ghoulguy:

Very sensible approach. The early bird was a bit too early for me after Christmas. 
Will wait and see how all this pans out but know in my heart of hearts I will finish up renewing later.

If we do finish up in League 1 it will be very difficult for Chansiri to increase the later renewal price above and beyond the early bird level.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Is that inline with our record shirt sales FACT.

Record shirt sales ... we must be selling at least a million a year by now :tango:

almost as good as when our super chairman advised it was better to have empty executive boxes and hospitality areas . That was my personal favourite chansiri wtf moment 

• Haha 3

Point 1

I understand the sentiment in here but whilst its not like spending money guarantees success it should help.

Under current league rules we can't spend money without generating it. For a non Premier League club ticket sales is a big revenue stream. Chansiri is perhaps guilty of looking to the obvious source of cash but we'd be lapping it up if we were successful on the pitch. The problem is success on the pitch is the most difficult aspect of football to achieve and is largely beyond the control of the Chairman. He's made four managerial appointments, two of which we're arguably a 'success' (CC and Bruce) and one of which we'd probably still be under the stewardship of now if outside influences didn't come into play (meaning 2 of 3 appointments would have been 'a success').

Yes, Chansiri has made mistakes but boil it down to the footballing side and he's tried to put the right pieces in the right places. If (and its a big if) the footballing side was a success the vast majority would be ignoring all the other foibles around the club.

Point 2

If he scrapped season tickets and made pay on the day £20 would you complain? 99% would not, yet people are complaining at the cost of a season ticket when it works out to less than £20 per match. 

2 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

If (and its a big if) the footballing side was a success the vast majority would be ignoring all the other foibles around the club.

This stands out from the rest of your post for me.

Of course we would. However in my opinion this argument's invalid. Without being entirely reliant on luck, this circumstance is nigh on impossible. Long term, you just cannot make all the mistakes he's made and see success on the pitch. It is because of all the other foibles around the club that on the pitch we're in this plight. And as the man at the very top, every single one of those foibles is on him.

After his initial gamble failed he should have changed approach and started to plan for the long term. Heck, even if his initial gamble had seen us promoted to the Premier League his immediate focus should have turned to planning for the long term.

3 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

Point 1

I understand the sentiment in here but whilst its not like spending money guarantees success it should help.

Under current league rules we can't spend money without generating it. For a non Premier League club ticket sales is a big revenue stream. Chansiri is perhaps guilty of looking to the obvious source of cash but we'd be lapping it up if we were successful on the pitch. The problem is success on the pitch is the most difficult aspect of football to achieve and is largely beyond the control of the Chairman. He's made four managerial appointments, two of which we're arguably a 'success' (CC and Bruce) and one of which we'd probably still be under the stewardship of now if outside influences didn't come into play (meaning 2 of 3 appointments would have been 'a success').

Yes, Chansiri has made mistakes but boil it down to the footballing side and he's tried to put the right pieces in the right places. If (and its a big if) the footballing side was a success the vast majority would be ignoring all the other foibles around the club.

Point 2

If he scrapped season tickets and made pay on the day £20 would you complain? 99% would not, yet people are complaining at the cost of a season ticket when it works out to less than £20 per match. 

My season ticket works out at about £24 a game. Add in the games I can't go to it ups to near £30. Our STs are expensive compared to other teams. 

At 1980s prices I should be paying less than a tenner POTG. 

36 minutes ago, jimi said:

This stands out from the rest of your post for me.

Of course we would. However in my opinion this argument's invalid. Without being entirely reliant on luck, this circumstance is nigh on impossible. Long term, you just cannot make all the mistakes he's made and see success on the pitch. It is because of all the other foibles around the club that on the pitch we're in this plight. And as the man at the very top, every single one of those foibles is on him.

After his initial gamble failed he should have changed approach and started to plan for the long term. Heck, even if his initial gamble had seen us promoted to the Premier League his immediate focus should have turned to planning for the long term.

It's a fair point but we've never been good in that regard in modern memory, have we? We've never sold well, we've never built a young, hungry squad... who was the last chairman to do that successfully at Wednesday?

9 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

My season ticket works out at about £24 a game. Add in the games I can't go to it ups to near £30. Our STs are expensive compared to other teams. 

At 1980s prices I should be paying less than a tenner POTG. 

Thats the thing... the only part of football thats really changed since the 80s is the money side, its still 11 v 11 running around a field and success (or lack thereof) still comes as much down to luck / the rub of the green as it does money, it just that the amount of money required to compete has increased disproportionately.

If you look back to the last 'great' team we had, you're looking at the early 90's... not a million miles from the 80s you refer to. Who did we buy during that time?

Peter Shirtliff - (bought late 80s) Bought at 28 (Not 'young')

Viv Anderson - Bought at 35

Chris Waddle - Bought at 32

Danny Wilson - Bought at 30

Trevor Francis - Bought at 36

I'm sure there are more... all coming to Wednesday for one last pay day (a criticism levelled at many recent signings). buying proven quality and no resale value worked then, it hasn't worked now.

Once that team moved on what did we do? Bought up and coming players (e.g. Andy Sinton) on 'big money'. It didn't work. Latterly we invested millions in unknown youngsters (Mark McKeever), whilst also plucking Steve Nicol out of semi-retirement... McKeever did nowt, Nicol was a surprise hit and one of our better players despite being about 45.

As fans we see things very much in black and white, we pay (very) good money and demand success but success isn't guaranteed. Aside from some outliers the general rule is the more money you spend the greater your chance of success.

image.png.c2dc22a4658a12e397937fc6c0ca014a.png

Someone has to pay, unless we scale back and go for the outliers chance of pulling off a surprise.

Spending a lot of money we're still entitled to be disappointed, and to voice our disappointment but the goalposts are moved somewhat in so much as a disappointing season is generally likely to be a midtable finish whereas scaled back we would have a much, much greater chance of a disappointing season ending in relegation.

image.png.0b74fca7327af8716e1a3f766229fc07.png

It's easy to sit here and see where things are going wrong, it's much harder to correct those issues, after all if it was easy we'd have surely had a much more successful last 30 years since the 80s...

16 hours ago, james o connor said:

Disagree 100% ... I’m not renewing my season ticket for a number of reasons ...

1. I barely bother going anymore as I just find it boring and tedious and not a good way to spend my hard earned free time. 
2. I can’t stand the chairman any longer . He literally is destroying what’s left of a once proud club . 
3. the players are an embarrassment and not fit to wear the shirt . I’m fed up of paying premier league prices to watch Barry bannan pass backwards 

all this support the club through thick and thin worked when I was a daft teenager but the fans really are being treated like dirt by the chairman , being rinsed for every penny . Some are happy / daft enough to carry on through blind loyalty , others have a point where enough is enough . 

Explain to me how it's worse than under DA.  Or even MM for that.  

I understand you can question the ability of the chairman, but he's continually shown willing to invest in the squad.  

We used to play on a sand pit that flooded at the drop of a hat.  We've now got one of the best pitches in the league.  That didn't happen by magic.  

If he's destroying the club then it's pride must have been long gone before he got here.

• Haha 2

Just not bothered...

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Explain to me how it's worse than under DA.  Or even MM for that.  

Dave Allen took us from 16th In League One when he became Chairman - to 9th in the Championship when he left

Milan Mandaric took us from 15th in League One when he became Chairman - to 9th in the Championship when he left (playing on a sand pit)

Dejphon Chansiri has taken us from 9th in the Championship when he became Chairman - to 12th when we kick off tomorrow.

As a football club we are judged on League position.

• Thanks 1

"The best poster on Owlstalk by far" - Kaven Walker

1 minute ago, Mr Farrell said:

Thats not fair though.

DC has spunked 150 million.

MM or DA didn't have that luxury.

Also - Milan Mandaric did inherit a brilliant team too that would have walked to promotion whoever was Chairman.

DefenderLewis Buxton
Defender/Centre backMark Beevers
Defender/Centre backDarren Purse
Defender/MidfielderTommy Spurr
MidfielderJermaine Johnson
MidfielderTommy Miller
MidfielderDarren Potter
MidfielderChris Sedgwick
ForwardGary Teale
  • Haha 1

"The best poster on Owlstalk by far" - Kaven Walker

17 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Dave Allen took us from 16th In League One when he became Chairman - to 9th in the Championship when he left

Milan Mandaric took us from 15th in League One when he became Chairman - to 9th in the Championship when he left (playing on a sand pit)

Dejphon Chansiri has taken us from 9th in the Championship when he became Chairman - to 12th when we kick off tomorrow.

As a football club we are judged on League position.

So presumably you were calling for him to commit harakiri when you were walking down Wembley way?

And to say that your post is disingenuous would be an utter understatement.  Even for you, that's ludicrous.  Let's bring back DA, he's looking for a new club I'm sure. You'd be the first back through the gate when he takes over from DC I presume?

Just not bothered...

Guest Grez Bez

I haven't renewed. Prefer watching bit in my couch now. 

Loads cheaper and gives us time to do family things in the morning. Was different bwhen there was at atmosphere.

7 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Also - Milan Mandaric did inherit a brilliant team too that would have walked to promotion whoever was Chairman.

DefenderLewis Buxton
Defender/Centre backMark Beevers
Defender/Centre backDarren Purse
Defender/MidfielderTommy Spurr
MidfielderJermaine Johnson
MidfielderTommy Miller
MidfielderDarren Potter
MidfielderChris Sedgwick
ForwardGary Teale

The idea that a chairman is who controls the performances on the pitch. :ghoulguy:

Just not bothered...