The chairman's record

2 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

What wrong attention was brought to the club by the squad numbers.? 

It was a while ago, but I recall it feeling a bit cringey. People looking in and thinking we had a chairman who didn't have a clue what he was doing...

Second choice goalkeeper wearing number 2, striker wearing a number 6. Just a whole lot of "wtf?"

33 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

And just to add, the outcry over the removal of stripes, that kit sold well, as have most since he's been here, overpriced agreed, but sold well none the less. 

Its fine BA .. keep burying the head .. tunnel vision ..

3 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

I’ll be honest I don’t have a clue what the figures are , I assumed when you said it was a failure you were implying the club didn’t make as much profit as they would’ve done with a branded shirt 

Not too sure why football club is a ‘healthy’ business 

Price and Supply issues of elev8 kit were a sham 

Building relations with potential sponsors ? Hmm, that’s all well and good and I know where your coming from BUT the chairman has done what he’s done with the sponsoring because he can put more money into it than anyone outside is willing to pay, obviously trying (and failing) to get around FFP rules is at the heart of this, do I like it ? No not particularly, but I see why the owner took that route 

Personally, if you are an astute business man you don't píss the sponsors off .. or potential ones. You are alienating the outside and potentially in the future, when you need their help they will tell you to bugger off .. You've got to get sponsors in .. he could have sponsored the club by other means to pump money like he has done with his fictitious companies .. We need Hillsborough packed to the rafters .. not half empty

4 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Its fine BA .. keep burying the head .. tunnel vision ..

Personally, if you are an astute business man you don't píss the sponsors off .. or potential ones. You are alienating the outside and potentially in the future, when you need their help they will tell you to bugger off .. You've got to get sponsors in .. he could have sponsored the club by other means to pump money like he has done with his fictitious companies .. We need Hillsborough packed to the rafters .. not half empty

So that's it is it, the kit sells well without stripes and I'm burying my head you wanna explain that one? 

31 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

So erm... how much money has the club lost on back of this poor decision ? Just out of curiosity 

In the last 3 years accounts (if you discount the ground ‘sale’) we’ve posted combined losses of £69.3 million.

So it doesn’t look like it made us much money?

2 minutes ago, nilsson said:

In the last 3 years accounts (if you discount the ground ‘sale’) we’ve posted combined losses of £69.3 million.

So it doesn’t look like it made us much money?

Course, not saying we haven’t lost millions ,   Just saying it would be interesting to see how Elev8 kit sales and P&L performed against a traditional branded kit deal ,  I thought the fella saying it was a ‘failure’ had seen such figures , my bad !

29 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Warnocks not been the same since his "merry band of anti football thugs" all retired. He's done nothing since he's not been able to drag brown, derry and Morgan around from club to club everywhere he goes. 

Apart from getting QPR and Cardiff promoted to the Premier League, Palace to the playoff final and saving Rotherham  from relegation when they looked doomed. 

5 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Not too sure why football club is a ‘healthy’ business 

Relative to the industry of course. It's a matter of following a strategic model, as opposed to throwing random shiite at the wall to see if it sticks. In general, not that many businesses have "sound operations" anyway, but at least understanding to focus on that is important, instead of spreading yourself thin by getting involved in areas you have no business in.

5 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Building relations with potential sponsors ? Hmm, that’s all well and good and I know where your coming from BUT the chairman has done what he’s done with the sponsoring because he can put more money into it than anyone outside is willing to pay, obviously trying (and failing) to get around FFP rules is at the heart of this, do I like it ? No not particularly, but I see why the owner took that route 

That's a good point, but at the same time, what's the benefit of putting more money in when you're going to misuse it anyway? Are we going to credit DC for figuring out a vehicle to put more money in, only to have that money thrown in the wind?

Long term, commercial relationships are essential for a club. As an asset, consider how commercially isolated the club is right now; if someone is interested in buying us they need to start from scratch on the commercial side. And in terms of the club's valuation, any commercial revenue generated from DC's companies will be taken with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

So that's it is it, the kit sells well without stripes and I'm burying my head you wanna explain that one? 

Its not just the kit you've been defending though is it. The elephants, shirt numbers, removing the stripes, changing the badge and more etc, all the signs that point to a chairman that wanted more influence and control on a club then perhaps the norm football chairman.

The best chairman are almost unseen figures that lurk in the background while experience people do the day to day running of the club. They get involved through other methods .. not sticking their fingers in to everything.

He has vital cogs put in place to make the club a success but restricts what they can actually do to the extent they leave, the transfer committee, Miere, Palmer, that hospitality bloke now at Barnsley .. all probably (i'm only speculating this bit mind) had their hands tied in what they could actually do as DC got more involved then perhaps he should have

There's no surprise why the day to day stuff, off the field running, sponsorship, hospitality etc etc iss absolutely prehistoric compared to some other clubs ...

I've said it in countless other threads that the potential we have as a club, as a city, as a fan base is flipping huge but its woefully and ineptly run. A complete and utter shambles that really isn't tapping in to its full potential.

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Course, not saying we haven’t lost millions ,   Just saying it would be interesting to see how Elev8 kit sales and P&L performed against a traditional branded kit deal ,  I thought the fella saying it was a ‘failure’ had seen such figures , my bad !

The kit thing I can see how it makes money - especially given how flimsy the current kits are compared to my 90s Di Canio shirt which is still in great nick - although economies of scale may work against it.  But as for the other stuff in theory these sponsorships from related companies can't be for more than the market rate when it comes to qualifying for FFP payments. And it shouldn't stop us getting 3rd party money in anyway  - we can still have the Presto Stand as well as the Chansiri one.

2 minutes ago, bobness said:

Relative to the industry of course. It's a matter of following a strategic model, as opposed to throwing random shiite at the wall to see if it sticks. In general, not that many businesses have "sound operations" anyway, but at least understanding to focus on that is important, instead of spreading yourself thin by getting involved in areas you have no business in.

That's a good point, but at the same time, what's the benefit of putting more money in when you're going to misuse it anyway? Are we going to credit DC for figuring out a vehicle to put more money in, only to have that money thrown in the wind?

Long term, commercial relationships are essential for a club. As an asset, consider how commercially isolated the club is right now; if someone is interested in buying us they need to start from scratch on the commercial side. And in terms of the club's valuation, any commercial revenue generated from DC's companies will be taken with a grain of salt.

Yeah I see your points , but if someone was to buy the club they would be starting from scratch anyway, and have the freedom to negotiate with any potential sponsors and not inherit existing agreements ,  kit and catering deals often come in 3/4yr agreements ,  I don’t honestly see having no sponsors affecting anyones potential desire to buy the club 

5 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Its not just the kit you've been defending though is it. The elephants, shirt numbers, removing the stripes, changing the badge and more etc, all the signs that point to a chairman that wanted more influence and control on a club then perhaps the norm football chairman.

The best chairman are almost unseen figures that lurk in the background while experience people do the day to day running of the club. They get involved through other methods .. not sticking their fingers in to everything.

He has vital cogs put in place to make the club a success but restricts what they can actually do to the extent they leave, the transfer committee, Miere, Palmer, that hospitality bloke now at Barnsley .. all probably (i'm only speculating this bit mind) had their hands tied in what they could actually do as DC got more involved then perhaps he should have

There's no surprise why the day to day stuff, off the field running, sponsorship, hospitality etc etc iss absolutely prehistoric compared to some other clubs ...

I've said it in countless other threads that the potential we have as a club, as a city, as a fan base is flipping huge but its woefully and ineptly run. A complete and utter shambles that really isn't tapping in to its full potential.

Woah, wanting to know why Elephants, squad numbers, a two minute silence, sponsorship etc are a criticism is not defending its askin a question? 

Edited by BARMYARMY2010

Dave Allen used Napoleons to sponsor the club effectively putting his own money in the same as DC ,  I just think people have a misconception firms are falling over themselves to chuck hundreds of millions at it to sponsor Sheffield Wednesday 

Just now, Royal_D said:

Yeah I see your points , but if someone was to buy the club they would be starting from scratch anyway, and have the freedom to negotiate with any potential sponsors and not inherit existing agreements ,  kit and catering deals often come in 3/4yr agreements ,  I don’t honestly see having no sponsors affecting anyones potential desire to buy the club 

Existing good deals would be handy to pass on. New owners could then concentrate on generating  dditional ones instead of having to cover the basics. It gives a solid platform and a degree of certainty re future income. 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

It depends, but the more infrastructure a company has in place (i.e. the less a new owner needs to do), the better. On an operational level, a new owner may have existing relationships with vendors that will replace the current ones, but otherwise you wouldn't want to replace just for the sake of replacing, unless you feel a contract warrants renegotiation.

Commercial relationships are incredibly valuable, and if they are generating healthy revenues a new owner would want to continue nurturing them. They will certainly be taken into account when determining the value of your investment.

4 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Dave Allen used Napoleons to sponsor the club effectively putting his own money in the same as DC ,  I just think people have a misconception firms are falling over themselves to chuck hundreds of millions at it to sponsor Sheffield Wednesday 

I could understand that if it said John West Tuna on the kit.

But why Chansiri across the kit and the north stand and D Taxis on the advertising boards around the ground?

7 minutes ago, nilsson said:

I could understand that if it said John West Tuna on the kit.

But why Chansiri across the kit and the north stand and D Taxis on the advertising boards around the ground?

Probably because John West Tuna has nowt to do with him directly ,  TUF made it quite clear they didn’t want nowt to do with it 

Is your issue with in house sponsorship or just Chansiri’s name ?