Players chucked Monk under the bus

As someone who was there and had to witness that absolute shambles I am still backing him.

That performance was down to the players, basics, no heart, no fight, and no desire to work for the badge and the football club.

Monk needs to be assessed next season when he has his own team in.

I feel for him, he is a proven manager, and the longer he is here, the better we become.

Do we really need to start again?

5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Carlos head was turned by the attraction of a PL club, he had lost his desire by that stage as much as any player

Jos and his bizarre tactics, formations and selections got himself the sack.

Bullen is not a manager

Notice you don't mention Bruce

Only you and Monk though playing Forestieri at wing-back was going to work wonders tonight.

The starting 11 last night included Dawson, Borner, Iorfa, Windass, Wickham and Da Cruz, none of whom were involved in 'throwing any previous managers under the bus'. Harris and Murphy came on as sub, they have also only been here a few months How do you assess how they performed?   

Lees isn't throwing anyone under the bus, he is simply in very poor form, Palmer is what he is, nothing special but didn't do much wrong, hardly a case for throwing Monk under the bus. Forestieri put the effort in considering he must have been as surprised as anyone with what Monk considered an effective position for him. Kieran lee is past his best due to bad injuries, don't think he can be accused of continually throwing managers under the bus.

That just leaves Bannan - are you telling me everything for the 4 managers you mention is all Bannan's fault and he is bringing everyone and everything down with him?!

Of course the players have to look at their own contributions but it is the job of the manager to get the best out of them and this is a different bunch to what previous managers have had.

Good work

1 minute ago, Parsons Cross Owl said:

As someone who was there and had to witness that absolute shambles I am still backing him.

That performance was down to the players, basics, no heart, no fight, and no desire to work for the badge and the football club.

Monk needs to be assessed next season when he has his own team in.

I feel for him, he is a proven manager, and the longer he is here, the better we become.

Do we really need to start again?

Proven in what way? The only entries on his managerial CV are his various appointments and subsequent sackings a few months later. Nothing he has done or is doing suggests he is the man to rebuild Wednesday.

The players are a massive problem, no doubt. But I genuinely believe we are in a relegation scrap if monk stays. Players clearly aren’t playing for him and with his tactical inconsistency I can’t see where a win is coming from. We’ve just been second best to the 2 worst (by some distance) sides in the league. After the next 2 games we have a tough run and are in serious danger of being drawn in.

I don’t see any way he turns it round and certainly isn’t the right bloke to be making 10/12 signings in the summer imo. We need a boost from him going now, then make sure the right man in (easier said than done).

50 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

It might have been shocking....but from a slightly different perspective, fans have been calling for changes and for monk to try something different!! He tries something different for 45 minutes and still gets slated.

I can see your point but you could tell, I could tell, and I am sure the whole stadium could tell it wasn't working. 

Should have went back to something more conventional the players knew in the second half as it's not even like we improved is it. We just had no clue playing that way. And even time I thought he is going to change the formation now. He just threw on another attacking player.

33 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

Proven in what way? The only entries on his managerial CV are his various appointments and subsequent sackings a few months later. Nothing he has done or is doing suggests he is the man to rebuild Wednesday.

Absolutely this. He is not remotely a proven manager. Of course he isn't.

This is not some group of long standing players refusing to cooperate with the boss. There is quite a lot of new blood. More than quarter of the starters last night have been here literally less than two weeks. 

He is a poor manager way way way out of his depth.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

I can see your point but you could tell, I could tell, and I am sure the whole stadium could tell it wasn't working. 

Should have went back to something more conventional the players knew in the second half as it's not even like we improved is it. We just had no clue playing that way. And even time I thought he is going to change the formation now. He just threw on another attacking player.

I agree there are elements that monk needs to take responsibility for... but sacking monk is the easy option and these players need to take 80% of the flack. 

For me we are due to finish mid table (as most predicted preseason) so there is no fuss!! Let monk clear out the majority of this squad and start again. Otherwise we run the risk of last years pre-season farce and going into another season managerless!?

1 minute ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I agree there are elements that monk needs to take responsibility for... but sacking monk is the easy option and these players need to take 80% of the flack. 

For me we are due to finish mid table (as most predicted preseason) so there is no fuss!! Let monk clear out the majority of this squad and start again. Otherwise we run the risk of last years pre-season farce and going into another season managerless!?

I am not saying he needs to go. But that formation last night and the way it was executed was up there with Jos and his strikerless tactics against Milwall for me.

6 hours ago, nilsson said:

Look at the eleven on the pitch tonight and what they cost;

Dawson - Academy

Palmer - Academy

Lees - Free

Iorfa - 200k

Borner - Free

Forestieri - £3m

Bannan - Free/undisclosed?

Lee - Free

Da Cruz - Loan

Windass - Loan

Wickham - Loan

Take FF out and that entire team cost about 200k to put together.

They were really poor tonight but when it’s a team put together with loans, frees and academy players how much are you expecting from them?

What a load of gash. Since when are free transfers rubbish players. Lee has been brilliant for us, he is now just coming to the emd of his career. As for academy players, Palmer has played how many seasons in the championship? Nothing wrong witb loans either, is wickham rubbish all of a sudden? Windass isnt a stranger to kicking a ball either. Never read so much tripe. 

What the results are down to is something else but its nothing to do with what you are talking about

3 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

There is quite a lot of fuss because while our overall form is midtable, our ten match form is dire beyond words. We have taken one point from two dreadful performances away to perhaps the two worst teams in the league, though another candidate for worst team is fast emerging,

Fantasies abound that this is all because of the players' attitude and what we need is some sergeant major figure who will shout at them and take them for cross country in Grenoside woods. Fantasies also abound that underneath it all Monk is a manager who has had success elsewhere.

Totally agree with thread starter.

Monks line up last night was one from a manager that was trying anything to stop the rot. 

He'll lose his job in the next couple of games , and Westwood, Hutchinson, Forestieri etc will still be here, strutting about, playing up to the fans.

Rinse and repeat.

7 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

That formation today was shocking gave the players no basis whatsoever to do anything with. It's like Monk came up with it yesterday and said let's see how it goes.   He takes the blame for that.

Why shocking? Do you think we should have had 6 defenders in front of Dawson? Surely with 3 centre halves Bannan is free to go into the middle with Lee and make things happen? Half the players looked as though they had never seen a ball before we went behind. The goal yet again was another cr@p backpass from a player that gets away with so many mistakes that some people have got a bit carried away with him! I cant believe we still play Wickham for so long. If we sent him for a long walk he'd get more exercise. The whole team played well below par last night and managed to make Luton look good!

8 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Another manager that our beloved players have strung up and chucked under the bus for their own gains. 

We wont go down, cos the lads will start putting a shift back in when it looks like we will.

That is now Carlos, Jos, Bullen twice and Monk that the players have given up playing for and it is indefensible.

Yet some will still solely blame the gaffer.

Whilst firmly in the get rid of the lot em camp, it’s baffling that we switched to an unproven formation against a team that conceded more than 2 goals a game on average. I also wasn’t with him on any of the substitutions. 

8 minutes ago, billyblack said:

What a load of gash. Since when are free transfers rubbish players. Lee has been brilliant for us, he is now just coming to the emd of his career. As for academy players, Palmer has played how many seasons in the championship? Nothing wrong witb loans either, is wickham rubbish all of a sudden? Windass isnt a stranger to kicking a ball either. Never read so much tripe. 

What the results are down to is something else but its nothing to do with what you are talking about

Think you’ve misunderstood my post. Never said they were rubbish players, I just wanted to know exactly which players the OP was blaming

31 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Why shocking? Do you think we should have had 6 defenders in front of Dawson? Surely with 3 centre halves Bannan is free to go into the middle with Lee and make things happen? Half the players looked as though they had never seen a ball before we went behind. The goal yet again was another cr@p backpass from a player that gets away with so many mistakes that some people have got a bit carried away with him! I cant believe we still play Wickham for so long. If we sent him for a long walk he'd get more exercise. The whole team played well below par last night and managed to make Luton look good!

Didnt Monk say we tried something different and it didn't work. So by his own admission he knew he got it wrong.

23 minutes ago, nilsson said:

Think you’ve misunderstood my post. Never said they were rubbish players, I just wanted to know exactly which players the OP was blaming

And. So what, blaming the players because of what we paid or where they came from is meaningless and has no bearing on our performances at all.

7 hours ago, nilsson said:

Look at the eleven on the pitch tonight and what they cost;

Dawson - Academy

Palmer - Academy

Lees - Free

Iorfa - 200k

Borner - Free

Forestieri - £3m

Bannan - Free/undisclosed?

Lee - Free

Da Cruz - Loan

Windass - Loan

Wickham - Loan

Take FF out and that entire team cost about 200k to put together.

They were really poor tonight but when it’s a team put together with loans, frees and academy players how much are you expecting from them?

A bit of fight?

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

It might have been shocking....but from a slightly different perspective, fans have been calling for changes and for monk to try something different!! He tries something different for 45 minutes and still gets slated. 

The old Alex Ferguson quote. If you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them.