Monks contract

14 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

He lasted less than 6 months at Boro. Sacked by loudmouth Gibson who was bragging they were going to smash the league. Granted He'd spent some money but hardly had the time to make that money work.

They were in a simar position to us. Players who had been there too long and spent too long under Karanka, slaves to his system. He had trouble breaking that down. Player power again?? Possibly.

Do we have the same thing here?? Possibly.

Birmingham. Another doozy. He saves them from relegation and then he falls out with the owner who it sounds like wouldn't support him and then he gets undermined by manouvering assistants with an eye on his job.

Give the bloke a chance while he's here.

Honestly, I don't think he'll want to renew. It's poison here at the moment.

All being said. People on here will be calling for the next managers head in less than twelve months I guarantee it.

He didn’t only spend a bit of money he spent 50million quid whilst arranging dodgy transfer deals at the same time, they should have smashed the league with the squad they had , he assembled - but he is a one dimensional manager with know plan b, c or d

achieved nothing at Leeds - flirted with play offs but failed to deliver 

granted he did ok with brum on a shoestring but for him to get sacked out of the blue, no smoke without fire 

he has proved in his time here, he is tactically limited - Saturday prime example - the players didn’t have a clue where they were meant to be, what does he do on the training ground ? Baffles me! 

Yes our squad is ageing , run it’s course but he should be getting much much more out of them, then he currently is

he isn’t the man for next season for me

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, toppOwl said:

I'm glad you've said that about Bruce, his tenure was god not great, some have short memories.

Not sure what more you wanted from Bruce results wise, think we lost 4 under him and the Steve’s. Hull away early on, Villa at home where we should have won but got done in injury time, Leeds where we got outplayed and QPR with a changed side last game of the season. There were lots of draws in that 12 game undefeated run early on but we still had a lack of quality in attacking areas in the absence of Hooper and FF. That’s much better than this season 

1 hour ago, Frazzlebeak said:

Apparently! I’ve been told on here that things have been done. But what I’m saying if he’s that minted and committed then could chuck millions at it if he so wished but has chosen not to. Only he knows why.

Why would he choose to chuck his money away on doing up the stadium, if he has ideas to build another stadium elsewhere?

I am NOT saying that IS the reason, just a thought as to why not.

Edited by MAL

Guest Jack the Hat
3 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I think the problems go a lot deeper than Monk

The fact we've had poor displays under Carlos, Bullen, Josh, Bullen again, Bruce and now Monk, tells me we have some undesirables in that dressing room

If we keep Monk, he's up to speed knowing who these undesirables are

If we get a new manager it will take 6 months to find them out again

And then we're calling for that managers head

Someone needs to take a stand and force the undesirables out, I think Jos was trying to do it, and now Monk is trying to do it

I'd rather we give Monk time to whittle them out

The problems may go deeper than Monk but it is Monk we are discussing. We didn’t have poor displays under Bruce we did Well. It won’t take 6 months for a new manager to bed in if he is any good. These players you want to whittle out. Are they the ones telling him to continually make ridiculous substitutions ? Monk is uninspiring and his substitutions usually have a negative impact. In a league as bad as this we should be making the play offs we would have under Bruce. If we dint he should be gone in the summer.

16 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Not sure what more you wanted from Bruce results wise, think we lost 4 under him and the Steve’s. Hull away early on, Villa at home where we should have won but got done in injury time, Leeds where we got outplayed and QPR with a changed side last game of the season. There were lots of draws in that 12 game undefeated run early on but we still had a lack of quality in attacking areas in the absence of Hooper and FF. That’s much better than this season 

Didn’t we finish 12th under Bruce? 
We are currently 11th

1 hour ago, Markowski77 said:

He didn’t only spend a bit of money he spent 50million quid whilst arranging dodgy transfer deals at the same time, they should have smashed the league with the squad they had , he assembled - but he is a one dimensional manager with know plan b, c or d

achieved nothing at Leeds - flirted with play offs but failed to deliver 

granted he did ok with brum on a shoestring but for him to get sacked out of the blue, no smoke without fire 

he has proved in his time here, he is tactically limited - Saturday prime example - the players didn’t have a clue where they were meant to be, what does he do on the training ground ? Baffles me! 

Yes our squad is ageing , run it’s course but he should be getting much much more out of them, then he currently is

he isn’t the man for next season for me

Gibson, another chairman who gambled on instant promotion. Too impatient to allow Monk to complete the team transition. Karanka was there for 5 years and was too cautious. Pulis couldn't manage it and went after two years. Now with woodgate they are hardly pulling up trees are they? Currently 18th.

Patience is a virtue. 

I'm just sick of the constant stream of new managers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

The only problem with this theory, is he only got the job in the first place because no other suitable options were available. 

Think the chairman was a bit railroaded into the appointment,  feel like he really had decided on going for Tony Pulis but was advised of pending fan base meltdown and suspect a certain ex manager advised TP against the job 

Monk was the best of what else was available,  Cowleys i don’t think were ever approached , Carlos may have been though ... and no I don’t want him back before accused , I do suspect a return is on the chairman’s wish list though 

4 hours ago, Nero said:

Can you give me some reasons as to why Monk looks like a good Wednesday manager in the making.

Please.

No point, you've obviously made your mind up

So when we get a new manager in the summer, which I feel is what you want

Are you going to get behind him, or wait while he's been here 6 months before you want him out too

I know, we could just sign managers on 12 month contracts, then get a new one every summer

That way, we can keep all these under performing players, and give them big new contracts every summer

Keep the players, change the manager

Oh hang on, we've been doing that

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Whoever came in to replace Bruce was on a bit of a loser for me , because there’s this misconception that we automatically owned a top 6 spot because of Steve Bruce been in charge 

The limitations of this squad I think were always going to rear there head, things could’ve fell apart under Bruce just as easily and he wouldn’t have wanted his reputation further ruining after the Villa debacle so would more than likely have chucked his toys out the pram anyway in my opinion 

We need to go through a re-building process from top to bottom, and yes I include the boardroom in that before am accused of been Chansiris PA (again)  ,  the process needs to happen regardless and I’m quite honestly SICK of changing managers , is Monk the man long term? I honestly don’t know ! but I do know that I couldn’t even begin to suggest anyone who I think would be 

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

No point, you've obviously made your mind up

So when we get a new manager in the summer, which I feel is what you want

Are you going to get behind him, or wait while he's been here 6 months before you want him out too

I know, we could just sign managers on 12 month contracts, then get a new one every summer

That way, we can keep all these under performing players, and give them big new contracts every summer

Keep the players, change the manager

Oh hang on, we've been doing that

I haven't made my mind up. Im not that good a predictor. I suspect hes a charlatan but I could easily be wrong.

So I'm quite happy for Monk.to stay and turn it around. 

But I cant for the life of me see YET what he got to commend him? And as you seem to like him id like to know what I'm missing.

It's too simple to say players or manager. Why back Monk?

2 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Thats why I said good, not great, too many draws.

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, 83owl said:

Didn’t we finish 12th under Bruce? 
We are currently 11th

Well yeah.. but that’s because Jos lost about 10 games in a row in the middle of the season lol

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

Whoever came in to replace Bruce was on a bit of a loser for me , because there’s this misconception that we automatically owned a top 6 spot because of Steve Bruce been in charge 

The limitations of this squad I think were always going to rear there head, things could’ve fell apart under Bruce just as easily and he wouldn’t have wanted his reputation further ruining after the Villa debacle so would more than likely have chucked his toys out the pram anyway in my opinion 

We need to go through a re-building process from top to bottom, and yes I include the boardroom in that before am accused of been Chansiris PA (again)  ,  the process needs to happen regardless and I’m quite honestly SICK of changing managers , is Monk the man long term? I honestly don’t know ! but I do know that I couldn’t even begin to suggest anyone who I think would be 

Top post fella,there's some romanticising about Bruce going on.

7 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

My fear with that is that a new manger might want to keep a lot of the out of contract players

What if the trouble makers are all out of contract, and a new manager gives them all a new 3 year contract

We can kiss goodbye to all hope for another 3 years then

I'd rather let Monk sort them out and be allowed to bring his own players in

I'll judge Monk in 12 months time

Who are these trouble makers?

It's been well documented that Westwood and Hutchinson are 2 main culprits. Westwood hasn't been involved this year and Hutchinson hasn't played since being influential in the QPR win yet performances are just as bad and Monk has slated the attitude of the squad even when these two aren't in it and half the team he picks are players that have come into the squad in that last 12-18 months at most.

Who was he pointing the finger at after the Wigan match? His selections and the performances since have hardly reflected any significant positive reaction.

If Monk can prove he can do something in the next 3 months then he might be worth continuing with but if he persists with the same one-dimensional approach that isn't working then we may well be better off not offering him or the out-of-contract players anything and going for a completely fresh start. 

8 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I think the problems go a lot deeper than Monk

The fact we've had poor displays under Carlos, Bullen, Josh, Bullen again, Bruce and now Monk, tells me we have some undesirables in that dressing room

If we keep Monk, he's up to speed knowing who these undesirables are

If we get a new manager it will take 6 months to find them out again

And then we're calling for that managers head

Someone needs to take a stand and force the undesirables out, I think Jos was trying to do it, and now Monk is trying to do it

I'd rather we give Monk time to whittle them out

Agree with this, although Monk wasn't even one of my preferred choices to replace Bruce, I don't see the point in keep swapping and changing managers whilst keeping the nucleus of the same squad. The players that have been here during the failed play off run's have proven they've not got the bottle or what's required to get us up. Ever since the Huddersfield Semi Final we've needed a rebuild and our recruitment as been poor ever since the Wembley Play Off Final.

Our best chance of going up will be rebuilding and starting to acquire players on the rise and realising we need to sell them on to keep steadily improving. Numerous teams have shown you don't have to break the bank at this level to go up or to become a genuine contender over time. Changing managers yet again, will only prolong that process, it's time to give someone a chance to build something. Likewise, Monk has never been given the chance at a long term project, so let's see what he's really capable of instead of re-setting the same old issues with yet another managerial change.  

Edited by The Night-Owl

11 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

I'd rather Monk leave in the Summer if it's true.

He's just your standard merry-go-round manager, may as well have a carboard cut-out in the dug out, like those pretend policemen you have In the entrance of supermarkets.

I haven't shoplifted so they must work.