Monks contract

42 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

But what will that quality of player be? I know when Birmingham we’re allowed to sign players they had to be under £11k a week. Not going to get much for that. 

I reckon it’s perfectly possible to sign good quality players from lower divisions who are capable of delivering a top half Championship finish and will happily play for less than £11k a week.

Maybe we should be following a self imposed salary cap to reinforce this approach.  We could then reward success with attractive bonus payments based on league position.

57 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

As we don't have a pot to pee in, how are we going to replace players after a clear out?

All we can afford is loan players, they will never be fully committed to the cause (unless they want a contract)

It doesn't matter who the manager is, the same problem would still exist £££££.

Some fans seem to forget that Chansiri is minted, problem is that FFP rules stop him spending. 

Good loan signings can get us success but long term bringing good young hungry players through from academy is what's needed.

With regards to changing the squad around. These are my thoughts:-

If Westwood is finished here, we need an experienced keeper. We won’t go up with Dawson or Wildsmith in goal.

As improved as they have been over the last 12 months I still feel we need better full-backs than Palmer and Fox.

I think Borner and Iorfa should be our first choice centre back pairing. I would try to move Lees on in the summer.

The midfield needs a complete overhaul. We need a Carlton Palmer type figure in the centre. I wouldn’t be adverse to moving Bannan/Reach or both on.

There’s an opportunity to totally restructure the forward department. Apart from a genuine goal scorer we need more power and pace.

A lot to do. I wouldn’t be against Monk getting an opportunity to oversee the squad restructure but I’d like to see him take the handbrake off a bit more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I think the problems go a lot deeper than Monk

The fact we've had poor displays under Carlos, Bullen, Josh, Bullen again, Bruce and now Monk, tells me we have some undesirables in that dressing room

If we keep Monk, he's up to speed knowing who these undesirables are

If we get a new manager it will take 6 months to find them out again

And then we're calling for that managers head

Someone needs to take a stand and force the undesirables out, I think Jos was trying to do it, and now Monk is trying to do it

I'd rather we give Monk time to whittle them out

You're bang on, I don't understand why people keep banging on about replacing the manager.

The fact we've had a very similar squad, getting the same results under 6 different stints of managers shows you the issues are deeper than the person that's in charge. 

Monk has inherited a bag of poo and he needs time to turn this around...he’s had no preseason, one January transfer window and very little else!! 

His CV and win ratio says that he’s a good manager and with time he can be a very good manager for us...after all it was only 8/9 weeks ago we were 3rd and folk were raving about him. The only thing that’s changed in that period is the players attitude!! 

15 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Some fans seem to forget that Chansiri is minted, problem is that FFP rules stop him spending. 

Good loan signings can get us success but long term bringing good young hungry players through from academy is what's needed.

I've seen and read a few times on here that "we" are broke, skint etc, being in breach of FFP or whatever its called doesn't equate to a club having no money. 

I wish more folk would understand that. 

1 hour ago, Dronfield Blue said:

As we don't have a pot to pee in, how are we going to replace players after a clear out?

All we can afford is loan players, they will never be fully committed to the cause (unless they want a contract)

It doesn't matter who the manager is, the same problem would still exist £££££.

W'll be like Hull were a couple of seasons ago, struggling to put teams out..

For the record, I'm not anti Monk, but by the same token not ecstatic about our tactics. 

That said, I empathise with the situation he inherited and think it too early to judge  

My concern is who we would replace him with. We laboured to make the appointment last time and at some point need to stick by the manager and let them build.

Whether Monk is the right man, time will tell, but he's the incumbent and deserves opportunity. 

I’m not a monk fan at all - personally he needs to go 

my biggest fear is he is still here for the start of next season, signs all these ‘monk players’ for ‘monk system’ when clearly he is tactically inept - we start off crap he gets sacked and back to square one! Then tied in with all these new players the next new manager won’t want 

he blew a wedge at boro, I just can’t trust him - he has left a sour taste in every club he has been at , he is just not for me

This next manager appointment is so important to the next 5 year cycle and it’s imperative we get it right 

Where do Bullens loyalties lie? If there are disruptive elements in that changing room Bully’s been mates with ‘em for the past 4 years. The failure to bring in any of Monks back room team has possibly left him at a disadvantage when dealing with these big personalities. If there is a bad culture at the club then surely Bully’s been a part of this?

If not Monk, then who?

We struggled to get anyone decent when we looked last time. If Monk goes we would need another manager in the mould of Bruce. I can't see any UK managers who would come running. Maybe some obscure German or Dutch guy, maybe someone from Portugal? (no, not him)

I just don't see any obvious candidates.

I think we will see which way the wind is blowing when out of contract players start getting contract renewal offers. Dawson and Fox so far, no sign of Fox signing so far. If Hutch or Westwood get offers Monk is going, if Lees gets a contract, Monk is probably going. You get the idea. 

59 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'll ask you this

Would you offer Fletcher another contract on big money, because he's not going to want a wage drop

Or would you try to use those wages on someone younger like Wickham or someone similar

I think Fletcher has done really well for us, he's a good target man, but no way would I be paying him what he's on now

I'd be looking for the younger version, who might be cheaper as well

Do we really need another version of Fletcher, it will just  make us play more hoof ball.

Da Cruz has played the main striker role at his previous club, and is quick and mobile. I’d certainly be having a look at him up front in the next couple of weeks. Get Luongo and Windass into that midfield and get the ball into his feet. We might just get the change of style we’ve been clamouring for.
Wickham doesn’t look like he’ll be playing 90 minutes twice a week anytime soon to me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I think the problems go a lot deeper than Monk

The fact we've had poor displays under Carlos, Bullen, Josh, Bullen again, Bruce and now Monk, tells me we have some undesirables in that dressing room

If we keep Monk, he's up to speed knowing who these undesirables are

If we get a new manager it will take 6 months to find them out again

And then we're calling for that managers head

Someone needs to take a stand and force the undesirables out, I think Jos was trying to do it, and now Monk is trying to do it

I'd rather we give Monk time to whittle them out

if we do keep Monk he has to be allowed to bring his own staff to work alongside him. 

30 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I’m not fully buying in to this on account of he could spend a lot more money on certain aspects of the club without incurring the wrath of FFP but nevertheless chooses not to. In my opinion he’s the one who wanted promotion and wanted it quickly ence his expenditure on the first team. I would rather he was in it for the long haul and spent some money on the overall infrastructure at the club.

3 minutes ago, Frazzlebeak said:

I’m not fully buying in to this on account of he could spend a lot more money on certain aspects of the club without incurring the wrath of FFP but nevertheless chooses not to. In my opinion he’s the one who wanted promotion and wanted it quickly ence his expenditure on the first team. I would rather he was in it for the long haul and spent some money on the overall infrastructure at the club.

Small steps and all that, haven't there been upgrades to training ground facilities wise.? 

12 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Small steps and all that, haven't there been upgrades to training ground facilities wise.? 

Apparently! I’ve been told on here that things have been done. But what I’m saying if he’s that minted and committed then could chuck millions at it if he so wished but has chosen not to. Only he knows why.

22 minutes ago, prowl said:

If not Monk, then who?

We struggled to get anyone decent when we looked last time. If Monk goes we would need another manager in the mould of Bruce. I can't see any UK managers who would come running. Maybe some obscure German or Dutch guy, maybe someone from Portugal? (no, not him)

I just don't see any obvious candidates.

I think we will see which way the wind is blowing when out of contract players start getting contract renewal offers. Dawson and Fox so far, no sign of Fox signing so far. If Hutch or Westwood get offers Monk is going, if Lees gets a contract, Monk is probably going. You get the idea. 

Heard Rowett is coming in. Done deal. Lump on.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RevOwl said:

If it's true that Monks only contracted until the summer then surely we need to be looking at a suitable replacement assuming Monk won't be offered an extension. It's clear for everyone to see we are drifting towards an uncertain future aimlessly with no direction. Under Bruce we had a direction a style of play that the players adapted too and was mostly successful under his short tenure where as under Monks guidance we've go no identity and the players to be honest don't even look bothered. Over at S2 they've got direction and strong leadership that the players recruited match up to. They're a team that look desperate to win and are prepared to run through walls for the shirt. We look just the opposite to that and don't show any fight or togetherness at all. We're a squad of bad to average players at best which obviously isn't going to bring any success at all. We've not got a single player apart from maybe Bazza that looks good enough to play in the premier league and that's a worry. Therefore our only hope is to get a manager in that knows how to grind out results involving being able to change our play when needed. A manager that the players know is a born winner and won't stand for nothing less than 100% commitment. A manager that can offload the dead wood and is capable of putting together a squad of players that we know care and are desperate to succeed. 

garymegson