Monks contract

If it's true that Monks only contracted until the summer then surely we need to be looking at a suitable replacement assuming Monk won't be offered an extension. It's clear for everyone to see we are drifting towards an uncertain future aimlessly with no direction. Under Bruce we had a direction a style of play that the players adapted too and was mostly successful under his short tenure where as under Monks guidance we've go no identity and the players to be honest don't even look bothered. Over at S2 they've got direction and strong leadership that the players recruited match up to. They're a team that look desperate to win and are prepared to run through walls for the shirt. We look just the opposite to that and don't show any fight or togetherness at all. We're a squad of bad to average players at best which obviously isn't going to bring any success at all. We've not got a single player apart from maybe Bazza that looks good enough to play in the premier league and that's a worry. Therefore our only hope is to get a manager in that knows how to grind out results involving being able to change our play when needed. A manager that the players know is a born winner and won't stand for nothing less than 100% commitment. A manager that can offload the dead wood and is capable of putting together a squad of players that we know care and are desperate to succeed. 

I think the problems go a lot deeper than Monk

The fact we've had poor displays under Carlos, Bullen, Josh, Bullen again, Bruce and now Monk, tells me we have some undesirables in that dressing room

If we keep Monk, he's up to speed knowing who these undesirables are

If we get a new manager it will take 6 months to find them out again

And then we're calling for that managers head

Someone needs to take a stand and force the undesirables out, I think Jos was trying to do it, and now Monk is trying to do it

I'd rather we give Monk time to whittle them out

• Like 4

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

The fact we've had poor displays under Carlos, Bullen, Josh, Bullen again, Bruce and now Monk, tells me we have some undesirables in that dressing room

Someone needs to take a stand and force the undesirables out, I think Jos was trying to do it, and now Monk is trying to do it

As we don't have a pot to pee in, how are we going to replace players after a clear out?

All we can afford is loan players, they will never be fully committed to the cause (unless they want a contract)

It doesn't matter who the manager is, the same problem would still exist £££££.

• Like 2

Just now, royalowlisback said:

I'd rather Monk leave in the Summer if it's true.

He's just your standard merry-go-round manager, may as well have a carboard cut-out in the dug out, like those pretend policemen you have In the entrance of supermarkets.

My fear with that is that a new manger might want to keep a lot of the out of contract players

What if the trouble makers are all out of contract, and a new manager gives them all a new 3 year contract

We can kiss goodbye to all hope for another 3 years then

I'd rather let Monk sort them out and be allowed to bring his own players in

I'll judge Monk in 12 months time

• Like 1

Just now, Dronfield Blue said:

As we don't have a pot to pee in, how are we going to replace players after a clear out?

All we can afford is loan players, they will never be fully committed to the cause (unless they want a contract)

It doesn't matter who the manager is, the same problem would still exist £££££.

A big chunk of the overspend is eliminated off the rolling 3 year FFP at the end of the season

A lot of our big earners are out of contract too

Loan players got Huddersfield promoted

We won't be loaded, but we will have wriggle room

2 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

If he goes I wouldn’t really care. He hasn’t been a disaster but he’s also struggling to instil any form of game plan on the players. 

We need a full on clear out of players but the EFL case will decide whether we can do that or not I guess.

We will be allowed to let players go at the end of their contract

And we will be allowed to sign players to bring the numbers back up in the squad

Needs to go at the end of the season if not before. Tactically inept, with one way of playing, which is boot it up to the striker, which worked to a degree with Fletch, but since his injury exposed this tactic. No plan B, or ability to change tactics  at all, substitutions are always like for like, never to change the game, and on top of it, seems to be incapable of actually man managing players, to the point that they don't even seem to want to play for him, but then again, he publicly threw them under the bus to cover himself, so why would they. Also, has the inspirational personality of a dead fish.

10 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

If it's true that Monks only contracted until the summer then surely we need to be looking at a suitable replacement assuming Monk won't be offered an extension. It's clear for everyone to see we are drifting towards an uncertain future aimlessly with no direction. Under Bruce we had a direction a style of play that the players adapted too and was mostly successful under his short tenure where as under Monks guidance we've go no identity and the players to be honest don't even look bothered. Over at S2 they've got direction and strong leadership that the players recruited match up to. They're a team that look desperate to win and are prepared to run through walls for the shirt. We look just the opposite to that and don't show any fight or togetherness at all. We're a squad of bad to average players at best which obviously isn't going to bring any success at all. We've not got a single player apart from maybe Bazza that looks good enough to play in the premier league and that's a worry. Therefore our only hope is to get a manager in that knows how to grind out results involving being able to change our play when needed. A manager that the players know is a born winner and won't stand for nothing less than 100% commitment. A manager that can offload the dead wood and is capable of putting together a squad of players that we know care and are desperate to succeed. 

I wasn't impressed with Monks appointment in the first place and said that at the time.  Having said that he hasn't had his feet under the table long enough to make a sustainable difference yet.

Towards the end of last season Bruce's record wasn't that impressive.

Say we get in a real top class manager how longer would you give him to make an improvement?  A week? Three months, six months?

And who is this mythical manager you speak of?   

4 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We will be allowed to let players go at the end of their contract

And we will be allowed to sign players to bring the numbers back up in the squad

But what will that quality of player be? I know when Birmingham we’re allowed to sign players they had to be under £11k a week. Not going to get much for that. 

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I wasn't impressed with Monks appointment in the first place and said that at the time.  Having said that he hasn't had his feet under the table long enough to make a sustainable difference yet.

Towards the end of last season Bruce's record wasn't that impressive.

Say we get in a real top class manager how longer would you give him to make an improvement?  A week? Three months, six months?

And who is this mythical manager you speak of?   

I'm glad you've said that about Bruce, his tenure was god not great, some have short memories.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Neither of those statements is factually correct. 

• Haha 1

Guest LittleG
13 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Who are the undesirables? I'm sure you will say Hutch and Westwood but are there others? With the above two not being in the team presently why are the results so bad? Once they're on the pitch whatever the so called dressing room issue is,if anything, it shouldn't affect their performance. We keep hearing that the problem is the nucleus of the side is the same from 5 years ago but thats not true. It's not only these players that aren't performing it's mist it then including signings made in the last year or two. Perhaps Monk does need this summer to bring his own players in, unfortunately my confidence in him doing this and improving things is waning. 

6 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Needs to go at the end of the season if not before. Tactically inept, with one way of playing, which is boot it up to the striker, which worked to a degree with Fletch, but since his injury exposed this tactic. No plan B, or ability to change tactics  at all, substitutions are always like for like, never to change the game, and on top of it, seems to be incapable of actually man managing players, to the point that they don't even seem to want to play for him, but then again, he publicly threw them under the bus to cover himself, so why would they. Also, has the inspirational personality of a dead fish.

Not a fan then?  :biggrin:

I liked monk up till Christmas Day, but it’s been down hill since then.  If he can’t start winning games with the squad he has now then he’s not the right man for the job, in my opinion

• Haha 1

Just now, northeastowl said:

But what will that quality of player be? I know when Birmingham we’re allowed to sign players they had to be under £11k a week. Not going to get much for that. 

I think a lot of the Blades' players would have been on less than that when playing in the Championship. As we know paying a big salary doesn't always work, the character of the players signed is often more important. 

3 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Not a fan then?  :biggrin:

I liked monk up till Christmas Day, but it’s been down hill since then.  If he can’t start winning games with the squad he has now then he’s not the right man for the job, in my opinion

Honestly mate, I didn't want him in the first place, but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, which, is turning out well lol

6 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

It will depend what our wage bill is when we've offloaded some of the big earners

I bet Wickham is on more than £11K a week

3 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

I think a lot of the Blades' players would have been on less than that when playing in the Championship. As we know paying a big salary doesn't always work, the character of the players signed is often more important. 

If the rumours are correct a lot of Blades players are on less than that now, they are on a huge bonus for staying up which they have more than achieved.