"Home debut scheme"

43 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Generally agree with all of this but also of the opinion that 'venting' on here can manifest and that then transfers to the ground.

Really what we need is to just put a few results together again, hopefully that will start the Tuesday.

Cheers for your post though, some great points.

I suspect we'd be mostly talking about habitual 'venters' though in that case - and if so, then at least it can be hoped that by having their views pass through the stringent Owlstalk jury process, that they'll at least be venting a better version of what they were going to vent :biggrin:

Anyway, it's true about putting a few results together. Nothing unites fans better than even just a few good results. When we win, even if one result changes nothing about any particular view I might have, I certainly have no wish to kill the buzz of the win for myself by regurgitating any particular moan I might have had after the last bad result. And when you put enough of those good results together, there comes a point when even the long-held views will begin to waver.

3 hours ago, cowl said:

How does that even begin to explain how our fans' ‘desperation’ to be in the Premiership is working against achieving that goal?

And in any case, even with this explanation you've just offered, if you think that all we need is everyone pulling in the same direction, and that the majority of our fans want promotion, surely it's the ones such as yourself that are the problem? Obviously, the team wants promotion, so it's only the fans such as yourself that “couldn't care less what league we're in” that aren't pulling in the same direction as the rest of us.

Excellent post. The people that will defend the club no matter what and don’t care what league we are in are more of a problem than the fans that want more from the current shambles we are being served up and don’t feel happy to just except anything. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Excellent post. The people that will defend the club no matter what and don’t care what league we are in are more of a problem than the fans that want more from the current shambles we are being served up and don’t feel happy to just except anything. 

I don't think anyone is really defending the club, i'd expect most to say we are very poorly run  - i can't stand what the club do most of the time 

But

If you are a Wednesday fan you feel something extra and through blind faith put your money in year in and year out  - this normally leads to family members doing the same.

Most clubs know this and take full advantage 

It's like druggies and their dealers!!!**

**i presume!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OurDan said:

I'm 24. Ive never seen us play in the top division and had a season ticket since I was 7.

I haven't got a season ticket anymore - and not sure I'll ever bother again (despite my Dad buying me a Club 1867 so I get 5 years 'when' we get in the Premier League)

Ive found better things to do with my time - and this idiot Chairman has driven me away. Our club has no hope as long as hes here.

I feel for the generation that have never seen us in the top league 

The younger generation that go week in week out are to be admired 

It's a shame you missed the play off games and Wembley because you don't like chansiri, i think you might have seen a glimpse of what it could be like if we ever made it back 

6 hours ago, TWW Vic said:

Why oh why don't we offer this?

A colleague took his son to his first game at Bramall Lane at the weekend - he was treated like royalty.

They bought tickets, but got given an experience that will ensure the kid is a Blade for life.

WHY ARE WE SO BEHIND?

https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2019/july/home-debut-scheme/

What goods a free matchday programme when the whole family can't read?

• Haha 3

Guest Grez Bez

Great idea.

Anything to encourage new fans to come, kids or not!

Can see it working with Students / people New to Sheffield too...

I don’t go in for all this attracting new fans business

In Sheffield generally you go to Wednesday or United because it’s passed on by your family 

These “new fans“ are just tourists and students, who probably just go to the odd game to put pictures on Facebook and instagram 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Because any ‘scheme’ we run seems to only want to rid the fans we currently have, of the most money we can possibly get in the quickest way possible.

Theres no long term plan.

Its all very ‘Del Boy’ ‘’gets rich quick’’.

Now, in the grand scheme of football...stuff like this isn’t important if you have a football team that’s at least semi enjoyable to watch.

But we don’t. So the whole club is under a microscope. And the whole club is a shambles.

Id be looking over at Brentford anyway as to what a well run championship team looks like.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, addedtime said:

I know what you mean. It does add that personal touch. However, I just feel that you are either going to keep going or you aren't. Someone showing me around wouldn't change that.

Maybe they do an adult version..........

On arrival a free massage with optional FREE extras...............

garymegson

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, addedtime said:

I know what you mean. It does add that personal touch. However, I just feel that you are either going to keep going or you aren't. Someone showing me around wouldn't change that.

But if you’re new to the area with no affiliation to either ourselves or United, like the massive student population we have with thousands of 21-24 year olds living in the area for an extended period of the time...potentially looking to adopt a team?

They go to dem blades and even disregarding the PL football. They play an attractive brand with cheaper prices....and with schemes like this it’s an added perk. Then throw PL football on top of that.

You come to us and you get horrendous football at premium prices & a really bitter toxic atmosphere on top. 

In a city of two universities, we don’t exploit this nearly enough. Plenty of people go to Uni and gain a ‘soft spot’ for the local team cos they adopted them whilst away from home. Some even stay in the area post-university and start their adult lives. It’s a massive market that we just don’t appeal to. 

• Like 1

Loads of fans these days are like tourists...

sure you will get die hard Wednesday fans who wouldn't set foot in the Lane unless Wednesday were playing...Me grandad only let his kids into the Lane to watch Yorkshire...even then if he hadn't been a fanatical cricket fan...he wouldn't have.

But have a look at todays climate...arsenal, Spurs, Southampton, Norwich, West Ham, most other clubs who reach the Prem for any amount of time..Gates f.ookin' virtually double, and the longer you stay there the better it gets...Tourists!

Wednesday being Wednesday, we all trot out the "Loyalty" card..but where is that getting us?

SWFC  do mainly f.ook all but preach loyalty , nostalgia , history...while simply ripping the p *ss from us idiots that bow to such outdated morals.

Its too late for me, its too late for a load on here...but believe me....we are a dying breed...Its summat that the club doesn't recognise...(Like f.ookin' football players)

If you take your blue tinted specs off..Its glaringly obvious the club needs to change, and every year we don't is a step backwards.

Its innovation we need....God knows how..cos I have not the foggiest idea...but ALL the ideas...good or bad..Come from forums like this...The actual club offers nothing bar...asking us to pay more and trust in what has been a mainly total mess.