"Home debut scheme"

2 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

You mean the guy who has spent upwards of £80 million of his own money in the club?

And managed to take us from a mid table team losing £5m a year, to a midtable team losing £20m a year, with an aging over paid, under performing squad, without a stadium to call our own and probably a big point deduction which could end up getting us relegated.

What's that saying ' A fool and his money are soon parted'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Steelman said:

What is wrong with you?

Why do you feel the need to be all shouty and screamy?

I can read and write perfectly well and my income is also quite substantial and reflective of both the academic and professional qualifications I hold.

Where did I suggest that they were giving these away for free in my post?

What was it about my post that implied I thought the pigs weren't paying.

As one of our well thought of and respected TWW hosts I would have thought you were well aware of the standing joke about pigs for a quid and adults paying kids prices.

Just to spell it out for you, that's where I was coming from and I suspect it's where the others were that you've  see fit to shout and scream at.

Have a good day Vic. x

1. Congrats, I'm pleased for you.

2. No, no I didn't. 

My opinion for what it's worth 

United have been doing this kind of thing since the 70s , and I think it makes no odds whatsoever 

The kids that are been taken will more than likely be taken by blade parents and would probably supported utd anyway 

United have been reinventing themselves since time began ,having to strap silly banners all over the place 

Jess Eniss, Sheffield is red and white , forged in steel , Billy sharp scores goals 

There is only one selling point that matters and it is what's on the pitch, they got lucky with Wilder ,we got Joss and Monk 

Get to the prem tart the ground up and we will see how much these schemes have made to our support compared to theirs ..........f...k all !!!!

IMO

So to conclude 

They did it in the championship,

it costs the wage of one person for a couple of hours every match and a free program 

they still have to pay for a ticket 

Lets just see it for what it is, which is a nice touch for a kid especially whos attending their first game and is minimal in cost 

Have things really got that bad that every point raised on here turns into a slanging match 

18 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

So to conclude 

They did it in the championship,

it costs the wage of one person for a couple of hours every match and a free program 

they still have to pay for a ticket 

Lets just see it for what it is, which is a nice touch for a kid especially whos attending their first game and is minimal in cost 

Have things really got that bad that every point raised on here turns into a slanging match 

It's a discussion as normal until bella gets all screamy shouty 

Edited by torres
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

I'm not the one attacking players, the chairman, the manager. I still go but refuse to abuse our players at games and get behind them instead.

You're right I don't care what league we're in because I'm a supporter and if you are a supporter then it shouldn't matter. The minute I can't do that anymore then I'll stop going so won't criticise anyone for that alone but you wouldn't then find me on here moaning about a club I no longer support 

There's obviously a big difference between someone who doesn't care what league we're in and someone who makes their attendance dependent upon it.

And irrespective of what anyone on Owlstalk says I doubt there's anybody that posts regularly on here (and therefore has at least the minimal levels of engagement with the fortunes of the team), that is really saying that unless we get into the Prem they're going to stop supporting the team.

I want success for the team. I want it from one game to the next, and from one season to the next. I can't imagine there's a fan that doesn't want this. I'm not sure they could even be defined as being a fan if this isn't the case for them. Still, far more often than not, I don't get what I want. And yet I still turn up every week, and still manage to maintain the hope from one game to the next that today, at least, we'll win and it'll be a good game. I'm very often disappointed, but I still turn up next week. To be honest, I don't find it that hard really. There are obviously thousands of us that are like this, and I don't doubt you're exactly the same. We're fans, after all - fanatics; this isn't really about finding reasons on the pitch to keep coming.

At games, I never boo. I'm almost exclusively supportive. It's not a principle or anything; it's just my personality in the immediacy of that kind of environment. Of course, there are those that boo, I don't think it directly 'helps', but I think it's an important message nevertheless, even to the point that I don't ultimately see it negatively. Picking out players to hurl abuse at is a more thorny issue though. Of course, it's often times just pure frustration, but it's rarely constructive, and very often pretty mindless. Still, it happens at every ground and amongst every set of fans. There's nothing unique about our fans in this regard.

But all that's at the games. On here, I'll criticise. It seems to me to be absolutely the best place to be doing it. I don't really get the attitude that some seem to have that treats criticism on here as though it had been said at the game. Surely it's better to vent on here than at a game? And if venting on here is what keeps some from venting at a game, then it's a good thing.

The point being you can criticize on here and support enthusiastically at a game without there being any kind of contradiction whatsoever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, addedtime said:

I know what you mean. It does add that personal touch. However, I just feel that you are either going to keep going or you aren't. Someone showing me around wouldn't change that.

It might if you were an impressionable child.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cowl said:

There's obviously a big difference between someone who doesn't care what league we're in and someone who makes their attendance dependent upon it.

And irrespective of what anyone on Owlstalk says I doubt there's anybody that posts regularly on here (and therefore has at least the minimal levels of engagement with the fortunes of the team), that is really saying that unless we get into the Prem they're going to stop supporting the team.

I want success for the team. I want it from one game to the next, and from one season to the next. I can't imagine there's a fan that doesn't want this. I'm not sure they could even be defined as being a fan if this isn't the case for them. Still, far more often than not, I don't get what I want. And yet I still turn up every week, and still manage to maintain the hope from one game to the next that today, at least, we'll win and it'll be a good game. I'm very often disappointed, but I still turn up next week. To be honest, I don't find it that hard really. There are obviously thousands of us that are like this, and I don't doubt you're exactly the same. We're fans, after all - fanatics; this isn't really about finding reasons on the pitch to keep coming.

At games, I never boo. I'm almost exclusively supportive. It's not a principle or anything; it's just my personality in the immediacy of that kind of environment. Of course, there are those that boo, I don't think it directly 'helps', but I think it's an important message nevertheless, even to the point that I don't ultimately see it negatively. Picking out players to hurl abuse at is a more thorny issue though. Of course, it's often times just pure frustration, but it's rarely constructive, and very often pretty mindless. Still, it happens at every ground and amongst every set of fans. There's nothing unique about our fans in this regard.

But all that's at the games. On here, I'll criticise. It seems to me to be absolutely the best place to be doing it. I don't really get the attitude that some seem to have that treats criticism on here as though it had been said at the game. Surely it's better to vent on here than at a game? And if venting on here is what keeps some from venting at a game, then it's a good thing.

The point being you can criticize on here and support enthusiastically at a game without there being any kind of contradiction whatsoever. 

Generally agree with all of this but also of the opinion that 'venting' on here can manifest and that then transfers to the ground.

Really what we need is to just put a few results together again, hopefully that will start the Tuesday.

Cheers for your post though, some great points.

1 hour ago, cowl said:

How does that even begin to explain how our fans' ‘desperation’ to be in the Premiership is working against achieving that goal?

And in any case, even with this explanation you've just offered, if you think that all we need is everyone pulling in the same direction, and that the majority of our fans want promotion, surely it's the ones such as yourself that are the problem? Obviously, the team wants promotion, so it's only the fans such as yourself that “couldn't care less what league we're in” that aren't pulling in the same direction as the rest of us.

I don't see much sign of that at present. They don't want to be on the pitch looking at the performances of half of them.

Promotion might disturb their comfy little carry on and show they aren't the superstars they think they are.

Excuse my bitterness but I think we've got a few prima donnas who think they are bigger than the club. It's about time they learned that they aren't. I'd rather be in Div 1 with players who sweat blood for the club. Rather than in the Championship with a load of overpaid players who can't be arsed.

2 hours ago, OurDan said:

I'm 24. Ive never seen us play in the top division and had a season ticket since I was 7.

I haven't got a season ticket anymore - and not sure I'll ever bother again (despite my Dad buying me a Club 1867 so I get 5 years 'when' we get in the Premier League)

Ive found better things to do with my time - and this idiot Chairman has driven me away. Our club has no hope as long as hes here.

Had a season ticket for the last 17 years and you choose now as the time to stop supporting?

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, TWW Vic said:

Why oh why don't we offer this?

A colleague took his son to his first game at Bramall Lane at the weekend - he was treated like royalty.

They bought tickets, but got given an experience that will ensure the kid is a Blade for life.

WHY ARE WE SO BEHIND?

https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2019/july/home-debut-scheme/

Do you really think someone coming  to Hillsborough for the first time watching our current performances is going to go on and be a "Fan for Life"? :wacko:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, TWW Vic said:

Does that matter?

They've got a fan for life now. Which means that when the kid is older and has a family of his own, they'll likely go too.

You create fans for life by going into schools with the players and doing well on the pitch kids will usually support the team their mates/family do not sit on the fence pending their first match day experience but its a nice gesture I guess 

Edited by keepitsteel89