Wednesday v hartlepool playoff final

13 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

Jeff stelling  wasn't happy that day for sure.

True, but he's probably even more unhappy now that they're in the Vauxhall Conference ( or whatever it's called now ) !

It was a day I'll never forget, the people of Cardiff were lovely the atmosphere was electric standing in Witherspoon's with the floor bouncing up and down was truly awesome, the sea of blue and white in the stadium was a sight to see, my nerves were shot after the game the sight of king Paul holding up the trophy brought a tear to my eye, I came away from the game with one thought how the hell did we win that game,

Only last year I got talking to an old guy about football and we got round to cardif I found out how we won I will not name names as I don't fancy ending up in court but this came as near from the horses mouth as your ever going to get,

At half time the Hartlepool manager was given a letter telling him the game was fixed that there would be a penalty and other decisions were rigged and that gambling was involved, he took it to the ref straight away and was told to go away, the old guy had no reason to lie nether have i all I know is if match fixing was involved what a terrible way to win a football game.

• Haha 1

Anyone remember the crowds on the street around O'Neils and kicking the football about ? I remember getting there quite early as we had spent the previous night in Abergavenny and buying cans from the off licence near O'Neils. The streets gradually built up with the crowds of Wednesdayites and it developed into an unforgettable carnival atmosphere. Absolutely cracking weekend.

16 minutes ago, Justbeanz said:

Anyone remember the crowds on the street around O'Neils and kicking the football about ? I remember getting there quite early as we had spent the previous night in Abergavenny and buying cans from the off licence near O'Neils. The streets gradually built up with the crowds of Wednesdayites and it developed into an unforgettable carnival atmosphere. Absolutely cracking weekend.

I can remember one of the Hartlepool fan's shoes coming off when he tried to kick the ball one of our lot grabbed it and through it on the top deck of an passing open top bus poor sod was chasing it down the street.

• Haha 1

I remember my boss at work who was a gooner said he felt sorry for Hartlepool and didn’t like that we kept the ball in the corner when winning 3-2. I pointed out that we scored again so hardly kept the ball in the corner!!  He was an idiot, which fitted in with his feelings for arsenal. 

3 hours ago, Hodgyowl said:

It was a day I'll never forget, the people of Cardiff were lovely the atmosphere was electric standing in Witherspoon's with the floor bouncing up and down was truly awesome, the sea of blue and white in the stadium was a sight to see, my nerves were shot after the game the sight of king Paul holding up the trophy brought a tear to my eye, I came away from the game with one thought how the hell did we win that game,

Only last year I got talking to an old guy about football and we got round to cardif I found out how we won I will not name names as I don't fancy ending up in court but this came as near from the horses mouth as your ever going to get,

At half time the Hartlepool manager was given a letter telling him the game was fixed that there would be a penalty and other decisions were rigged and that gambling was involved, he took it to the ref straight away and was told to go away, the old guy had no reason to lie nether have i all I know is if match fixing was involved what a terrible way to win a football game.

Info seems legit.  If the source is a random old guy then who are we to question it?

Just don't go to deeply into it and ask pertinent questions such as why did Hartlepool never mention it or take it further, or if the game was rigged for us to win how were Hartlepool actually allowed to go 2-1 up after we were leading 1-0 at half time, in fact if gambling was involved did they really have it as a draw after 90 minutes with us to get a penalty? It seems incredibly high risk with even a bent referee unable to guarantee that outcome, we could easily have gone the last 10 minutes of the game without ever getting into their penalty area.

Did this old guy happen to have a tattoo on his neck with a couple of crossed scimitars?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Info seems legit.  If the source is a random old guy then who are we to question it?

Just don't go to deeply into it and ask pertinent questions such as why did Hartlepool never mention it or take it further, or if the game was rigged for us to win how were Hartlepool actually allowed to go 2-1 up after we were leading 1-0 at half time, in fact if gambling was involved did they really have it as a draw after 90 minutes with us to get a penalty? It seems incredibly high risk with even a bent referee unable to guarantee that outcome, we could easily have gone the last 10 minutes of the game without ever getting into their penalty area.

Did this old guy happen to have a tattoo on his neck with a couple of crossed scimitars?

No Alan Harper if I put who told me I'd be well in the brown stuff, I can't even do cryptic clues all I can say there was a letter left in Hartlepool's dressing room and it was taken further but nothing was done, I wish I could give more info but if you heard it from that individual your chin would hit the floor thanks for the reply.

Caught the Portsmouth harbour to Cardiff train at Salisbury..

Said to my mate it'll be empty on here..

Train turned up no empty seats to be seen..

Absolutely rammed with Wednesday train bouncing all the way to Cardiff. 

lol

No Alan Harper if I put who told me I'd be well in the brown stuff, I can't even do cryptic clues all I can say there was a letter left in Hartlepool's dressing room and it was taken further but nothing was done, I wish I could give more info but if you heard it from that individual your chin would hit the floor thanks for the reply.

Because if you were going to rig a football match it's only right and proper to inform the other team in writing. What could possibly go wrong? Just wouldn't be cricket otherwise.

Never a pen, though.

Guest ka58
8 minutes ago, WalterWhite said:

Because if you were going to rig a football match it's only right and proper to inform the other team in writing. What could possibly go wrong? Just wouldn't be cricket otherwise.

Never a pen, though.

yeah could you imagine Martin Scott at half time to his assistant 

“here mate someone’s just passed me a letter saying this game is rigged and there will be a penalty awarded against us - should we say anything?”

”no boss”

“ok”

after game 

“weird how I’ve got this letter saying a penalty would given and we’ve had a really dodgy penalty given against us - should I say nothing now and nothing for the next 15 years?“

”yes boss”

”sound”

Edited by ka58

Although Wembley was great, that was because we (the fans) made it so. The Millenium stadium is far superiror for me and the location is brilliant, the city of Cardiff was buzzing that day. So much better than the horrendous grey surroundings of Wembley. 

I'll never forget the party atmosphere on the concourse at HT.

10 hours ago, Hodgyowl said:

Sounds more like you heard a story and you believed it. 

Keep away from old men.

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Sounds more like you heard a story and you believed it. 

Keep away from old men.

Like I've said I can't say who told me but if you new you may take a different view on it, but ha ho you either believe it or not if it was bs I wouldn't have posted it, if there's ever a chance I'll not end up in court I'll post the sauce 

5 minutes ago, Hodgyowl said:

Like I've said I can't say who told me but if you new you may take a different view on it, but ha ho you either believe it or not if it was bs I wouldn't have posted it, if there's ever a chance I'll not end up in court I'll post the sauce 

If its true you have nothing to worry about... Spill the beans 

Lol what a load of old bollllocks mate.

There, someone had to say it.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Justbeanz said:

Yeah I was about to post that my main memory of the build-up around town was some lad taking a proper two-handed goalie punt right in middle of the high st - ball must’ve gone 50ft in the air and came down slap bang in the middle of some rickety little cafe table outside that still had a load of pint pots and lunch plates on it, and nobody have a hoot - think even the owner and the lads finishing their chips gave it a massive “WAHEYYYYY!” along with about 2k others in blue and white.

lol

Also very clearly recall walking out into the stand for the first time and being genuinely alarmed at how vertical the seating tiers seemed, those modern-style stadia were still relatively new/rare then and I’d never seen owt like it, kept thinking I was gonna fall on the pitch every time we scored.

I must’ve sat very close to where the OP photo was taken, right-hand corner at opposite end from the Talbot goal. Great memories, right up there with ‘91 final as a kid.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1