Consistency in Selection

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

It's a fair point but nothing has clicked attack wise since Fletcher got injured regardless of how long they have in training. What concerns me more is that he stuck technical players like Da Cruz, Forestieri and to a lesser extent Windass in but didn't play to their strengths, instead continuing to persist with the direct football that by and large hasn't worked without Fletcher. 

Is the direct football down to Monk or the defenders bricking it in possession and lumping it? 

I wonder, at the moment, if a front four is one too many. Suppose Windass was nominally a midfielder, but he didn’t really offer much there. Maybe in the future that could work, but for now, I feel we need the extra body in midfield. A front three of Wickham, Da Cruz and Forestieri should be enough to cause sides problems, but they need a better supply line.

• Like 1

Give Wickham, Windass and Da Cruz, a few cames to get up to speed and they should be a force to reckon with. Add in Forestieri when he's fully fit and it should be better. Then all we need is to give them decent service.

It will take time to settle down. Fox should be back soon which should strengthen the Left. Palmer can go back on the right and that releases Iorfa back to the centre. The back line becomes more solid. Then it's only the midfield that needs sorting. 

Bearing in mind Monk has 3 proven choices for left back - Fox Palmer and Reach - of whom 2  were injured  and the third was in fact a converted Right back, a position giving us trouble  at present, , plus the fact that our major threat is injured, and the fact that the fans are calling for change, I'm interested what side we   would have put ouit yesterday. And I'm not excusing Monk, just interested..

5 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Is the direct football down to Monk or the defenders bricking it in possession and lumping it? 

Think it has to be at least in part tactical.

Borner and Iorfa don't give me the impression that they are ones to panic on the ball, Iorfa can look a little clumsy but Borner has shown he can pass. Lees on the other hand has never had a pass in him. 

2 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Bearing in mind Monk has 3 proven choices for left back - Fox Palmer and Reach - of whom 2  were injured  and the third was in fact a converted Right back, a position giving us trouble  at present, , plus the fact that our major threat is injured, and the fact that the fans are calling for change, I'm interested what side we   would have put ouit yesterday. And I'm not excusing Monk, just interested..

Palmer has been consistently better at left-back than at right-back for the past year, don't know why but that's how it has been. Urhoghide was poor last time he played against Blackburn but there wasn't much improvement to the team when he got took off at half-time that game. That is the only defeat he has played in and he did play in 2 of our only 3 wins this year.

Lees is in poor form and Iorfa is more comfortable at CB. 

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Palmer has been consistently better at left-back than at right-back for the past year, don't know why but that's how it has been. Urhoghide was poor last time he played against Blackburn but there wasn't much improvement to the team when he got took off at half-time that game. That is the only defeat he has played in and he did play in 2 of our only 3 wins this year.

Palmer may be playing more consistently at LB but it doesnt answer the question then of who plays Right Back. Nor does it answer my question of MID FIELD. letvalone the fprwardLine. My question was ''Who would we pick for the team'

32 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

3 of the lads were new, do you really think they’ve had enough time in training to learn how each other click? Yes I get your point about them being professional but you’re missing the point here

im not missing any point...stop excusing them, they get paid for doing a job. how many days/games do we give them to “learn about each other”???

A minimum of £110k a weekend between and they can’t even do the basics!!! 

23 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

10 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Palmer may be playing more consistently at LB but it doesnt answer the question then of who plays Right Back. Nor does it answer my question of MID FIELD. letvalone the fprwardLine. My question was ''Who would we pick for the team'

Your question was about who else Monk could have picked at the back.

I thought my post pretty much detailed Palmer at LB, Iorfa in his usual CB position, Urgohide at RB and Lees not playing. 

30 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

im not missing any point...stop excusing them, they get paid for doing a job. how many days/games do we give them to “learn about each other”???

A minimum of £110k a weekend between and they can’t even do the basics!!! 

Im not excusing them, I can just understand why it didn’t work yesterday 

Wickham - first start since 2016

FF - first start in at least a few months 

Da Cruz - a handful of senior starts in

some random European leagues 

Windass - in and out of a poor Wigan side 

6 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Im not excusing them, I can just understand why it didn’t work yesterday 

Wickham - first start since 2016

FF - first start in at least a few months 

Da Cruz - a handful of senior starts in

some random European leagues 

Windass - in and out of a poor Wigan side 

Admittedly wickham needs game time and hopefully he will get sharper over the coming weeks. 

FF & Windass both have plenty of experience at this level and in English football to know what is expected. 

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I think you identify the major issue without actually saying it.

Monk doesn’t know what his best side is...but it’s actually glaringly obvious to everyone else.

I'd have a bash we all know best back four

But rest of team I reckon yer could ask 20 different people and they'd all give you a different team and formation!!

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

7 minutes ago, DEH9 said:

But rest of team I reckon yer could ask 20 different people and they'd all give you a different team and formation!!

totally agree 

Which underlines the main problem in my opinion 

3 hours ago, NeonLeon said:

If Urhoghide was good enough for Brighton and Leeds away, then why not Barnsley? Palmer goes left back and he comes in at right back.

He’s probably got more recent experience of playing on crap pitches in awful conditions too! 

Who knows? All I know is that he wasn't good enough vs Blackburn and was correctly taken off, seems he's been taken out of the action for a while which is pretty standard for a young player. 

1 hour ago, DEH9 said:

That because of our central midfield conundrum. Especially with Luongo out and hutch banished

38 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Who knows? All I know is that he wasn't good enough vs Blackburn and was correctly taken off, seems he's been taken out of the action for a while which is pretty standard for a young player. 

He’ll come back into the fray when performances and results pick up. I’m actually with Monk on this one. Playing in this shower of a team won’t aid his development 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drewswfc said:

That because of our central midfield conundrum. Especially with Luongo out and hutch banished

Wed have folks rowing about the keeper for months before we even got to defence and midfield!

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

6 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

He’ll come back into the fray when performances and results pick up. I’m actually with Monk on this one. Playing in this shower of a team won’t aid his development 

Completely agree, understandable approach with a young player.