Blaming the manager misses the bigger picture

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The question I would ask is how on earth do you develop a long term micro plan for a club when the powers that be are constantly shifting the goal posts.

Any business struggling with quality in the conventional world would not be proscribed from investing in order to try rectify its problems.

If we are to have a plan it needs to be building opposition to curtailing the investment of those that can affordably build a quality team. Sustainability can be achieved by treating each club individually, a post purchase surcharge on wealthier clubs,  Deli Ali being a prime recent example. But there are many options to be explored to general improvement if only the will was there.

The compliance that J-Savas is implying is that we follow convention only to be ripped off at the eleventh hour. I say reject this sitting duck strategy. Look for other methods.

I appreciated your good philosophical points. However I would argue that even in a world without such governance issues we would still be a better (and more sustainable club) with the points I initially raised. 

The squad is in dire need of change, has been for a couple of years, since when we've been under embargoes and abandoned by Bruce.

It's not going to be rectified over one window, but we've made a start.

I think Monk has questions to answer, not blameless by any means, but by the same token not deserving of being demonised. It was only a couple of months ago we were third.

The players are a major part of what's good and bad, until we can evolve and affect the squad fundamentally, always going to be a mid table team over the course of a season. 

I dont agree with monks assessment yesterday, but recognise that he has to give some encouragement to get what he can out of the players between now and the end of the season. He's done stick, made his presence felt among senior players and now has to try a bit of carrot to see us through to the end of the season. 

• Thanks 1

Hang on a minute........DC told us on numerous occasions about the importance of having a short, medium and long term plan in place!!!! He just didn't tell us it was "all in on red..."

giphy.gif.2d5fd3530fc938e2f518f8e124ac0f61.gif

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/02/2020 at 19:54, j-savas said:

Because without football directors, a comprehensive coaching team, comprehensive scouting networks, up to date training infrastructure, a thriving commercial set up and youth team with players loaned out accordingly, a good analytics team etc we are basically a second rate club that's stuck in the 20th century. The opposite to the Brenfords of this world if you like. 

20 years of systemic failings at wednesday with no long term strategic planning, and all a lot of us can do us blame one isolated head coach after another. We as a club need a LONG Term comprehensive, coherent strategic plan going forward in the summer that needs to be presented to the fan base. 

My incling though is that we will continue to lerch from one random manager to the next and sign over 25 ex stars such as Whickham to try and paper over the cracks... 

Absolutely brilliant post. Spot on. 

The club is so badly run it’s untrue. From ticket prices, commercial department, player recruitment, youth development, stadium refurbishment etc we are just years behind other clubs.

Chansiri really needs to get a decent technical director in, someone to start from the bottom up rather than the annual firefighting and short term fixes that have just become the norm.

• Thanks 1

I have to agree with a lot of what the OP says.

There is a lot of work ahead of us.   It seems like DC has gone all in on the short term in the hopes of achieving success as opposed to truly building the right infrastructure and long term planning that is really required in building the club. 

Having said that.  Managers should and do carry some responsibility in what is being achieved at the club as a whole.  Managers are well paid, paid so much in fact, figures that we could only dream of. That sort of wage comes with responsibility.   With the responsibility you expect some sort of output, success in real terms as in points accumulated on the pitch. 

That is what we are currently paying for.  Success on and off the pitch.  Are we truly excelling on either front?  That is certainly questionable.

On 08/02/2020 at 20:38, NYCOWL said:

Best post in a long long time.

Im tired of saying it, successfull organisations are well run from to bottom.

We haven’t been well run since... Well I don’t remember when we were.

Probably going back to Jack Charlton then Wilko's time the last time we were well  run from top to bottom. 

On 08/02/2020 at 19:54, j-savas said:

Because without football directors, a comprehensive coaching team, comprehensive scouting networks, up to date training infrastructure, a thriving commercial set up and youth team with players loaned out accordingly, a good analytics team etc we are basically a second rate club that's stuck in the 20th century. The opposite to the Brenfords of this world if you like. 

20 years of systemic failings at wednesday with no long term strategic planning, and all a lot of us can do us blame one isolated head coach after another. We as a club need a LONG Term comprehensive, coherent strategic plan going forward in the summer that needs to be presented to the fan base. 

My incling though is that we will continue to lerch from one random manager to the next and sign over 25 ex stars such as Whickham to try and paper over the cracks... 

Spot on. We're not even remotely set up to be competitive in modern football. Even if we somehow managed to sneak up to the premier league we'd fail spectacularly due to this lack of basic infrastructure. We're rotting as a club and it will not change unless there is a common goal between the chairman, everyone at the club and the fans. Unfortunately we've dug ourselves in to a hole over the last few years and it won't be easy to get out. With the EFL closely watching and the current rules in place we cannot spend the money and invest in an infrastructure until we break out of the rut.

It might be controversial but we need to prioritise the financial side of the club over the league we're in until we can start to invest heavily in the right places again. At best try to tread water until the club have the finances under control. Once under control, look at what would provide the best return over the long run, whether it be a director of football, updated commercial set up or coaching staff. Only then can you start looking at investing in the higher valued playing staff as you're more likely to get returns on the pitch when they are in the best environment.

Edited by CF_Owl