Blaming the manager misses the bigger picture

8 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Well as an alternative you could look at Sheff U, a club that has succeeded with a policy similar to one thread based on and costing far less money that we have squandered in the pursuit of PL football. Painful to admit but true.

Or Huddersfield... granted they had no idea how to maintain it!

Just now, StudentOwl said:

Or Huddersfield... granted they had no idea how to maintain it!

…..and are therefore not such a good example to follow. How they stayed in the PL two seasons is beyond me. Truly unambitious club IMO.

Still rankles with me that we lost semi-final play-off to them thanks largely to Carlos's negative tactics.

30 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

I'm sure it's the misconception of " family "

DC needs to learn that " Family " in the UK is often associated with one or two decent people, the rest don't talk to each other and squabble behind their backs.

Then again... he's probably spot on !!!! lol

Or if you are a Blunt family you all sleep in the same bed.

WTF:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Transparency, your having a laugh, we have 2 big sponsors that don't even exist.

And people wonder why the EFL are sniffing round us.

We need a leader to come out and tell it as it is. Their is a huge gap between fan/club expectation and the capability of the current playing squad. 

This is what Monk was alluding too I think.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, j-savas said:

Your probably r

Exactly this. Should we as a fan base demand more of this or football been as it is is this too much to expect with the match to match emotional aspect of it  all? I've heard rumours that chansiri does micro-manage, this seems incompatible with a modern football club. 

Finally a really good strategic thread!!

Yes, the fans should demand more of this club and its plans for sustainable, long term success. I can think of no other business ( and it is a business these days) where such a large stakeholder group has so little input into how it is run, opportunities for improvement and general direction of travel.

When you think about the emotional connections football fans have with their clubs but the disconnect between them and the owners, who are focussed on financial returns, it’s a disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

And with that one free signing and subsequent sale Sheffield United made more money than Wednesday have from the last decade of transfers.

You spent the previous page saying how you hated the idea of selling up your academy and relying on bringing players in to stand still, then with one example you highlight yourself how a smart free transfer can bring in more than Wednesday have made in 10 years.

So you think we should ditch the academy and go to a Brentford model because the grunters made money on one free transfer? Despite them still having an academy and Brooks playing a number of games for their u23s to develop. Something which wouldn't happen with the Brentford model, because, well, they don't have an u23 side. 

Edited by Minton

Can't be bothered to read all the responses but it's an excellent OP that I wish I could +10.

Anyone who blames Monk or says Monk out doesn't know a single thing about football and probably want Carlos the Clown back for the rest of the season. Some of the vitriol aimed at Monk is as embarassing as it it shameful. In December he'd got 4 different manager's players to third in the Championship. If he can do that with the shower ofshit we've got he's more than earned my faith in allowing him to rebuild it over 2 or even 3 transfer windows.

This club is a complete shambles and only one man is to blame.

#Chansiriout

• Like 2

I was going to start this topic in the boardroom but looking at the lack of activity /traffic there I thought it better in the matchday section. It's is quite far down the list. Could owlstalk admin possibly love it up to number 2. Our fan base off the field discussion/awareness is likely to have a far bigger potential  impact of positive change than matchday chit chat. 

9 minutes ago, j-savas said:

I was going to start this topic in the boardroom but looking at the lack of activity /traffic there I thought it better in the matchday section. It's is quite far down the list. Could owlstalk admin possibly love it up to number 2. Our fan base off the field discussion/awareness is likely to have a far bigger potential  impact of positive change than matchday chit chat. 

Sorry predictive text is playing havoc! 

16 hours ago, j-savas said:

Because without football directors, a comprehensive coaching team, comprehensive scouting networks, up to date training infrastructure, a thriving commercial set up and youth team with players loaned out accordingly, a good analytics team etc we are basically a second rate club that's stuck in the 20th century. The opposite to the Brenfords of this world if you like. 

20 years of systemic failings at wednesday with no long term strategic planning, and all a lot of us can do us blame one isolated head coach after another. We as a club need a LONG Term comprehensive, coherent strategic plan going forward in the summer that needs to be presented to the fan base. 

My incling though is that we will continue to lerch from one random manager to the next and sign over 25 ex stars such as Whickham to try and paper over the cracks... 

giphy.gif.94fbd27b6b8e2890e7888d4e4dd39fbf.gif

16 hours ago, j-savas said:

Because without football directors, a comprehensive coaching team, comprehensive scouting networks, up to date training infrastructure, a thriving commercial set up and youth team with players loaned out accordingly, a good analytics team etc we are basically a second rate club that's stuck in the 20th century. The opposite to the Brenfords of this world if you like. 

20 years of systemic failings at wednesday with no long term strategic planning, and all a lot of us can do us blame one isolated head coach after another. We as a club need a LONG Term comprehensive, coherent strategic plan going forward in the summer that needs to be presented to the fan base. 

My incling though is that we will continue to lerch from one random manager to the next and sign over 25 ex stars such as Whickham to try and paper over the cracks... 

The question I would ask is how on earth do you develop a long term micro plan for a club when the powers that be are constantly shifting the goal posts.

Any business struggling with quality in the conventional world would not be proscribed from investing in order to try rectify its problems.

If we are to have a plan it needs to be building opposition to curtailing the investment of those that can affordably build a quality team. Sustainability can be achieved by treating each club individually, a post purchase surcharge on wealthier clubs,  Deli Ali being a prime recent example. But there are many options to be explored to general improvement if only the will was there.

The compliance that J-Savas is implying is that we follow convention only to be ripped off at the eleventh hour. I say reject this sitting duck strategy. Look for other methods.

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The question I would ask is how on earth do you develop a long term micro plan for a club when the powers that be are constantly shifting the goal posts.

Any business struggling with quality in the conventional world would not be proscribed from investing in order to try rectify its problems.

If we are to have a plan it needs to be building opposition to curtailing the investment of those that can affordably build a quality team. Sustainability can be achieved by treating each club individually, a post purchase surcharge on wealthier clubs,  Deli Ali being a prime recent example. But there are many options to be explored to general improvement if only the will was there.

The compliance that J-Savas is implying is that we follow convention only to be ripped off at the eleventh hour. I say reject this sitting duck strategy. Look for other methods.

We should just do what other clubs seem capable of doing. 

16 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

We should just do what other clubs seem capable of doing. 

87.5 % of the other clubs are not achieving promotion. 96% of the other clubs don't progress through the play offs. 

Putting a quality product on the pitch unfettered by (brain fart composed) financial restrictions is the way we should go but we have to convince the bigger city clubs to campaign for this strategy. Spending to improve quality does not have to inflict a risk of sustainability on anyone But the big clubs must stop ripping off the little clubs and dressing it all up in fair play wrapping paper. 

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

18 hours ago, Anlaby Owl said:

Nothing is going to change on the field without the right manager. I grant you that i might be feeling a bit temperamental after todays showing but trying hard to maintain faith in monk is becoming soul destroying.  

The on field offerings are frustrating. 

If you get rid of Monk, who else is out there and who else wants it ? Hughton  publically stated he didn’t, and more worrying I understand that Mclaren turned us down as well. Bruce took it but was in no rush. 

If you get rid of Monk, does that solve the financial issues ? Does it cure the lethargy of the overpaid old guard within the dressing room. 

The expectancy levels amongst the fan base are too high. DC keeps fuelling this by talking up promotion. 

Time to get real. The OP is right, there needs to be a plan, delivered and executed by those who know what they are doing.

Fail to plan, the plan is to fail.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

4 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Sergeant Tibbs I can't see a credible plan where it is possible to legislate for what the Premier League and EFL are doing at the moment while the FA just stand and watch. Our compliance is not the answer !

So let’s break the rules, get a points deduction and get relegated. That’ll show ‘em. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Sergeant Tibbs I can't see a credible plan where it is possible to legislate for what the Premier League and EFL are doing at the moment while the FA just stand and watch. Our compliance is not the answer !

I am sure my post leans towards there is no credible plan from within Hillsborough.

You bringing 3rd party governors into it does not change what is happening on and off the pitch at our beloved club.

How are our internal coaches and managers looking? u23s played some nice football the other day against Leeds, stark contrast to the tripe put out by the first team. Any promotions from within? I have no idea but it maybe a route to a system and an ethos of sorts.

Guest wilyfox

Monk is blameless for our overall state, but, I didn't fancy us yday from the moment I saw the teamsheet: That, he is responsible for. Trying to squeeze Wickham, Windass, Da Cruz, and Forestieri into the same starting XI was a bad idea. Simply throwing more attackers out there isn't the solution. Other departments needs to function too for team dynamic. Monk got that wrong.