Blaming the manager misses the bigger picture

Just now, Junk Smuggler said:

Agree. Bring in a manager with his own plan and back it but ultimately that man has to want to invest in youth - no quick fixes. We could have done that 4 years ago and be in a much richer position now. We may well have been in the same division but by investing in youth they are either a success and the investment pays off in sales or not a success and the losses are minimal.

Spot on. And who knows, cowley was linked, maybe chansiri didn't like the fact that he would come with a significant number of coaching staff? I'm just speculating of course. 

• Like 1

What we need to do is bring in structure and some day to day advisors and try sticking with them 

chansiri try’s micro managing too much and I think he likes to change when people challenge him 

he should recruit and trust somebody to run this organisation even if that’s an executive board 

since he’s been here palmers gone 

he set up a committee with Rodher and go for recruitment ( that seemed relatively successful in what we needed at the time )

that breaks down, dodgy recruitment follows Bruce brings a team in seems to have stabilised somewhat 

chief executive hired and then left within 2 years it’s not very stable is it we need strong experienced professionals heading up a sub committee, board under chansiri to be in the boardroom 

chansiri- chairman 

chief executive oversee ( all things non football )

Catering and events

Ticketing and retail

health and safety

public relations 
facilities 

director of football Overseas (all things football )

youth recruitment and development

Recruitment and sales of first team squad 

Employment of football staff , coaches and physios 

training and Traning facilities

clubs philosophy and identity 

basically chansiri sets the budget and these guys go shape the club and report back to him surely the director of football will then start setting a team and plan together to deliver on football matters 

I’d like to think for example in basic terms 

3 youth team players making 10 season appearances or more by the year 2023

Players sold or generating loan income of 5 million by 2025

recruit best local talent and U.K. talent in all field groups to compete for trophies in all age groups by 2022

have a clear route to first team by a development plan for all youth players 

recruitment keep the squad with an average age of 25

squad playing budget of xxxxx

squad fitness levels to be available for selection 85% of matches 

have a net spend of -£35million over 3 years

club to achieve premier league status by 2022

club to achieve 4 quarterfinals by 2024

club to play high pressing game and attacking football on front foot 

etc...etc...

can anybody actually say what we are about with any kind of progress?

only thing I can say is our Youth teams seem to have come on quite good but the gap between them and first team is so big I sometimes question it’s existence 

• Like 1

Club is on its arse. 

Best we can hope for is Chansiri sells up and we have a change of direction. Nothing will change if we carry on the way we are. A few half hearted loan signings aren’t going to push up the league. 

The sooner the club comes out and shows some transparency the better. We are a mid table side with the expectation of a play off spot. It’s toxic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j-savas said:

Agreed. Even if we'd appointed someone like the cowley brothers (like them or not) it may have arguably shown some sort of active planning and thought as to a new direction. Monk like him or not is just a typical 'he's available, let's give him a whirl' Wednesday approach, symptomatic of everything about the club. 

It was obvious when (and long before) the giant monkfest was going on, on here; that monk was not the 'perfect' candidate in terms of man management.  The man can barely string two words together.  Ok that might not be considered essential to some but all the great football managers in my lifetime have had the linguistic ability to assert themselves. 

4 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

It was obvious when (and long before) the giant monkfest was going on, on here; that monk was not the 'perfect' candidate in terms of man management.  The man can barely string two words together.  Ok that might not be considered essential to some but all the great football managers in my lifetime have had the linguistic ability to assert themselves. 

yup

When there’s a long term problem be it in business or sport, I think you need to look for a common denominator. Somebody or something that’s been a constant throughout the years of failure. When you find that common denominator or common denominators you don’t need to overreact but it’s important that the issue is aired and out in the open and that’s what we Owls never  do. We just pussyfoot around the issue because we don’t want to offend anybody, but I really think that the time for diplomacy has now passed and it’s vitally important that somehow someway we get to say as it is.

Mr Chansiri’s heart is in the right place but when it come to running our club he’s been a disaster. If he’s going to stay at the helm and take us forward he needs to LISTEN and learn and we as fans need to cut the crap and say it exactly as it is so that we can give him the help he needs and he understands and can take it onboard.

Sorry  for the lecture.

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

I tell you something it is an absolute joke Monk hasn’t been able to bring his own back room staff in. So amateurish from the club yet again. 

We’re skint, we’ve not signed a player for over £1m since 2017.

The only real money we’ve spent in the last 3 years had been to fund recruitment mistakes from 2016-17.

Is there any other club in the top half of the championship that hasn’t signed a player for over £1m since 2017?

7 hours ago, Hitcat said:

Blah blah blah Brentford, blah blah blah. Why does everyone always rattle on about Brentford? A team that consistently makes the top 10, but rarely troubles the playoffs. 

Why are all your post head in the sand blinkered sycophancy?

4 hours ago, nilsson said:

We’re skint, we’ve not signed a player for over £1m since 2017.

The only real money we’ve spent in the last 3 years had been to fund recruitment mistakes from 2016-17.

Is there any other club in the top half of the championship that hasn’t signed a player for over £1m since 2017?

We don't even own our own ground any more because Chansiri has made a complete balls up of our financial affairs, he has had to fudge the accounts to brings us back in line.

7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Club is on its arse. 

Best we can hope for is Chansiri sells up and we have a change of direction. Nothing will change if we carry on the way we are. A few half hearted loan signings aren’t going to push up the league. 

The sooner the club comes out and shows some transparency the better. We are a mid table side with the expectation of a play off spot. It’s toxic.

Transparency, your having a laugh, we have 2 big sponsors that don't even exist.

And people wonder why the EFL are sniffing round us.

4 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Transparency, your having a laugh, we have 2 big sponsors that don't even exist.

And people wonder why the EFL are sniffing round us.

And it’s clearly not working yet he continues peddling away with the same silly schemes. I don’t often talk about chansiri , if I think about his reign , it really make me angry 

2 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Still baffled why DC has blocked Monk bringing his coaching staff in, and lumbered him with Bullen.

It shows in our performances.

I'm sure it's the misconception of " family "

DC needs to learn that " Family " in the UK is often associated with one or two decent people, the rest don't talk to each other and squabble behind their backs.

Then again... he's probably spot on !!!! lol

8 hours ago, Growl67 said:

When there’s a long term problem be it in business or sport, I think you need to look for a common denominator. Somebody or something that’s been a constant throughout the years of failure. When you find that common denominator or common denominators you don’t need to overreact but it’s important that the issue is aired and out in the open and that’s what we Owls never  do. We just pussyfoot around the issue because we don’t want to offend anybody, but I really think that the time for diplomacy has now passed and it’s vitally important that somehow someway we get to say as it is.

Mr Chansiri’s heart is in the right place but when it come to running our club he’s been a disaster. If he’s going to stay at the helm and take us forward he needs to LISTEN and learn and we as fans need to cut the crap and say it exactly as it is so that we can give him the help he needs and he understands and can take it onboard.

Sorry  for the lecture.

Exactly, I feel a lot of our fans keep their head in the sand because they seem to take offensive to fellow supporters suggesting that things could be done differently. Even in this thread some have managed to arguing the throw as to how many youth players sheffield united have produced compared to us as a deflection for discussing our own shortcomings as a club and how we can do better. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Minton said:

They signed him for free from Man City. He isn't a product of their academy

And with that one free signing and subsequent sale Sheffield United made more money than Wednesday have from the last decade of transfers.

You spent the previous page saying how you hated the idea of selling up your academy and relying on bringing players in to stand still, then with one example you highlight yourself how a smart free transfer can bring in more than Wednesday have made in 10 years.

11 hours ago, Hitcat said:

Blah blah blah Brentford, blah blah blah. Why does everyone always rattle on about Brentford? A team that consistently makes the top 10, but rarely troubles the playoffs. 

Well as an alternative you could look at Sheff U, a club that has succeeded with a policy similar to one thread based on and costing far less money that we have squandered in the pursuit of PL football. Painful to admit but true.