Blaming the manager misses the bigger picture

7 minutes ago, Nero said:

'We need a plan presented to the fans this summer'

Think youve got your head up yer own arris mate

Not the response I was expecting Nero! But perhaps your right, it maybe too much to ask for. Any kind of plan then, even if they don't make it known. Football clubs are community assets though, so I was thinking it wouldn't be too much to ask for! 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, j-savas said:

Not the response I was expecting Nero! But perhaps your right, it maybe too much to ask for. Any kind of plan then, even if they don't make it known. Football clubs are community assets though, so I was thinking it wouldn't be too much to ask for! 

Yes maybe my response was a bit ingracious. Probably the wrong Owlstalk night for constructive thinking.

Our plan and vision should be done  first then we recruit from that 

it seems we have a different approach 

recruit a manager

Go with his vision and methods 

don’t allow him time ( which he won’t have ) to make the changes 2-3 years 

sack him 

Cycle begins 

all our managers should be recruited woth the skills and vision to execute our strategic plan 

unfortunately I honestly don’t think we have one 

I’d have though what is it now 5 years chansiri as been here 

we’ve a ageing squad languishing exactly where we were when Stuart Gray was here mid table 

no youth First team players in breaking through regularly ( I know uroghide and hunt was on the bench today and dawson played but both Dawson and wild Smith was breaking through pre chansiri uroghide actually seems to be only thing to shout about and Hunt is only on bench through injuries and the exclusion of hutchinson 

do we have a youth development plan?

Do we have a recruitment plan?
do we have a retention plan?

do have a sales plan?

do we have a philosophy on how we want to play 

do we have a 1-5 year plan and how do we measure that success 

do we have a succession plan?

it all seems we go into next season with blind hope and we just keep changing our direction 

Edited by fpowl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Yes maybe my response was a bit ingracious. Probably the wrong Owlstalk night for constructive thinking.

Your probably r

1 minute ago, fpowl said:

Our plan and vision should gone first then we recruit from that 

recruit a manager

sack him 

Cycle begins 

all our managers should be recruited woth the skills and vision to execute our strategic plan 

we’ve a ageing squad languishing exactly where we were when Stuart Gray was here mid table 

no youth First team players in breaking through regularly ( I know uroghide and hunt was on the bench today and dawson played but both Dawson and wild Smith was breaking through pre chansiri uroghide actually seems to be only thing to shout about and Hunt is only on bench through injuries and the exclusion of hutchinson 

do have a sales plan?

it all seems we go into next season with blind hope and we just keep changing our direction 

Exactly this. Should we as a fan base demand more of this or football been as it is is this too much to expect with the match to match emotional aspect of it  all? I've heard rumours that chansiri does micro-manage, this seems incompatible with a modern football club. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fpowl said:

recruit a manager

sack him 

Cycle begins 

do have a sales plan?

Best post I have read in ages.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, j-savas said:

Because without football directors, a comprehensive coaching team, comprehensive scouting networks, up to date training infrastructure, a thriving commercial set up and youth team with players loaned out accordingly, a good analytics team etc we are basically a second rate club that's stuck in the 20th century. The opposite to the Brenfords of this world if you like. 

20 years of systemic failings at wednesday with no long term strategic planning, and all a lot of us can do us blame one isolated head coach after another. We as a club need a LONG Term comprehensive, coherent strategic plan going forward in the summer that needs to be presented to the fan base. 

My incling though is that we will continue to lerch from one random manager to the next and sign over 25 ex stars such as Whickham to try and paper over the cracks... 

Nothing is going to change on the field without the right manager. I grant you that i might be feeling a bit temperamental after todays showing but trying hard to maintain faith in monk is becoming soul destroying.  

34 minutes ago, j-savas said:

Because without football directors, a comprehensive coaching team, comprehensive scouting networks, up to date training infrastructure, a thriving commercial set up and youth team with players loaned out accordingly, a good analytics team etc we are basically a second rate club that's stuck in the 20th century. The opposite to the Brenfords of this world if you like. 

20 years of systemic failings at wednesday with no long term strategic planning, and all a lot of us can do us blame one isolated head coach after another. We as a club need a LONG Term comprehensive, coherent strategic plan going forward in the summer that needs to be presented to the fan base. 

My incling though is that we will continue to lerch from one random manager to the next and sign over 25 ex stars such as Whickham to try and paper over the cracks... 

This thread should be pinned...nail on head and as soon as our fan base wakes up to this the better. We cannot continue to be ran without any strategy and keep lurching from one disaster to the next..

We as a a fan base are just far too forgiving and accepting any modicum of success, is this due to the last 20 years being so dreadful....probably...do we have to accept it and roll over.....definitely not! 

We we need to put pressure in the ownership now before it’s far too late. 

4 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

Nothing is going to change on the field without the right manager. I grant you that i might be feeling a bit temperamental after todays showing but trying hard to maintain faith in monk is becoming soul destroying.  

I agree with you Anlaby owl that a good manager is important. However a good manager is has not and will not be enough with the systemic problems and shortcomings that sheffield wednesday as a football club have had and continue to have. I addition, though still very important of course, a manager's overall role and influence in the complexity and multi facated nature of modern football clubs has, to an extent, become less important. 

26 minutes ago, fpowl said:

recruit a manager

sack him 

Cycle begins 

do have a sales plan?

Doubt it we're still trying to shift the play-off final T shirts.lol

Edited by prowl

At this point I feel like our ‘good name’ is keeping the our heads above water. We really are a shambles of a football club from top to bottom but the traditional famous name of Sheffield Wednesday does help mask that. And our stadium size and historically good support is just about attractive enough still for players to give us a second look when deciding what clubs to sign for.

A lot of people were up in arms about the idea that Chansiri was going to treat us too much like a traditional business , and therefore supporters as ‘customers’. But right now I’d be over the moon if we resembled a well run business. But we don’t.

We’re fortunate that the league this year is rubbish and that our players are of a ‘better technical quality’ as individuals that it’s gonna keep us safely mid-table.  But we’re not a team. We’re nowhere close to a team. 

Edited by FlyingOwl

Just now, Hitcat said:

Blah blah blah Brentford, blah blah blah. Why does everyone always rattle on about Brentford? A team that consistently makes the top 10, but rarely troubles the playoffs. 

There’s a bit more to these posts than blah blah Brentford. 

13 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Blah blah blah Brentford, blah blah blah. Why does everyone always rattle on about Brentford? A team that consistently makes the top 10, but rarely troubles the playoffs. 

Hi Hitcat. Brentford are a relatively small club that have slowly and carefully progressed with some very intelligent strategies. It's all cumulated in a club punching above its weight, making huge profits on transfers and now moving into an excellent new stadium next season. Its a club that I'm sure most people would envy. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Think for club size of Brentford playing attractive football in top half of Championship and having a sound infrastructure is a notable success.

If we can get a club size of Wednesday as well run on and off the pitch we would be a respectable Premier League side.

Just now, j-savas said:

Hi Hitcat. Brentford are a relatively small club that have slowly and carefully progressed with some very intelligent strategies. It's all cumulated in a club punching above its weight, making huge profits on transfers and now moving into an excellent new stadium next season. Its a club that I'm sure most people would envy. 

Hi. Yes indeed, but they're also a club that will always sell it's better players and therefore never progress further than they are at the moment.

1 hour ago, j-savas said:

55 minutes ago, fpowl said:

recruit a manager

sack him 

Cycle begins 

do have a sales plan?

Fantastic posts. 

• Thanks 1