Which keeper should be No1

Who should be in goal  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Which keeper should be No1

• Westwood
    • Dawson
    • Wildsmith

I don't care what the fkn story is behind the Westwood/Hutchinson ostracisation ... Westwood is a better keeper than Dawson or Wildsmith.

Hutchinson is a better player than Pelupessy will ever be ... Or are we only allowed to play players who STFU?

Also beware Mr Monk because on current showing Westy n Hutch might just be here longer than you.

Just now, toooldforthis said:

How does he improve his kicking? Kicking isn't something you can learn. You can either kick or you can't.

Don't agree. I came to a point where I recognised how limited one-footed players were in some situations (used to detest Nigel Winterburn for that) and set out to ensure I could use both. Didn't take too long before extensive practice had me at least reach a degree of competence with my 'wrong' foot so that I could use it quite effectively when it was required. If I could do that on my own at my humble level, I'd like to think that a professional surrounded by coaches ought to be able to make some improvements if the proper focus was placed on it. And there's no doubt that Dawson has an issue in that regard. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But even if he wasn't training with the first team - which he has been - you seem to be blaming him for it without knowing the facts. He could have been told to train with the academy players like Hutchinson has supposedly been consigned to - but none of us know the reasons behind any of this. If your mate was to offer you a reason, I'd be inclined to take it with a pinch of salt based on this non-fact as well.

You may be correct my friend.

I would remove my original post but cant now.

I was under the impression that he was the trouble maker, phoning in sick and what not to cause issues, but that could be far from the truth. Or it could be THE truth.

Like I said earlier though, every leak from the club is a benefit to usually the source, and this case is no different.

I need to be less susceptible to rumours, I think, don't I.

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

1 minute ago, erowl said:

I don't care what the fkn story is behind the Westwood/Hutchinson ostracisation ... Westwood is a better keeper than Dawson or Wildsmith.

Hutchinson is a better player than Pelupessy will ever be ... Or are we only allowed to play players who STFU?

Also beware Mr Monk because on current showing Westy n Hutch might just be here longer than you.

We are effectively cutting our nose off to spite our face again with this stance. Who is benefiting from it?

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

You may be correct my friend.

I would remove my original post but cant now.

I was under the impression that he was the trouble maker, phoning in sick and what not to cause issues, but that could be far from the truth. Or it could be THE truth.

Like I said earlier though, every leak from the club is a benefit to usually the source, and this case is no different.

Fair enough on that. 

I said at the time I couldn't see Westwood reacting well to being dropped and I couldn't see him sitting on the bench too often. It has been said that if he is named in the squad and sits on the bench he gets a larger salary than if not selected so he is not in the squad on that basis - who knows for sure. 

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Don't agree. I came to a point where I recognised how limited one-footed players were in some situations (used to detest Nigel Winterburn for that) and set out to ensure I could use both. Didn't take too long before extensive practice had me at least reach a degree of competence with my 'wrong' foot so that I could use it quite effectively when it was required. If I could do that on my own at my humble level, I'd like to think that a professional surrounded by coaches ought to be able to make some improvements if the proper focus was placed on it. And there's no doubt that Dawson has an issue in that regard. 

agreed, I did the same I was right footed and the left was useless so I like you worked on it and it paid dividends ,

39 minutes ago, Ian said:

you could make a 90 minute blockbuster with Lees, Borner and Bannans in today’s match only!

No wonder we were no good when these 3 spent 90 minutes hogging the ball between them

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NorthAmericanOwl said:

Out of curiosity how is the Blackburn goal that hit his head in anyway his fault?

It’s unlucky to hit him on the rebound like that but I think he should have got a stronger hand on it and tipped it round the post or away from goal.

Wasn’t a great strike from the Blackburn player or in the corner 

14 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I was a right footed player and spent hours teaching myself to kick with my left. It became as good as my right. But you and I started from a point of being naturally kicking players. The synapses used in the brain were already hard wired, we just had to 'visualise' then repeat what we already knew. You will have pictured in your mind kicking the ball with your 'wrong' foot and then it translated into a muscle movement that replicated what you did with the other foot. The first thing you did was to imagine the action and then you repeated what you saw...mixed results at first and then it improved. This is what good players learn to do.

But you started with all of the tools to repeat what your good foot can do. You knew what kicking felt like and your muscles repeated the brain signals for the other foot. Dawson doesn't have this foundational motor mechanism, you can see it in just about every kick. He's reverted to drop kicking half volleys, the least accurate way of directing a kick. So yes, you can learn, but you cannot add motor triggers that aren't there. He's not entirely hopeless, he's just not a natural kicker.

1 minute ago, toooldforthis said:

I was a right footed player and spent hours teaching myself to kick with my left. It became as good as my right. But you and I started from a point of being naturally kicking players. The synapses used in the brain were already hard wired, we just had to 'visualise' then repeat what we already knew. You will have pictured in your mind kicking the ball with your 'wrong' foot and then it translated into a muscle movement that replicated what you did with the other foot. The first thing you did was to imagine the action and then you repeated what you saw...mixed results at first and then it improved. This is what good players learn to do.

But you started with all of the tools to repeat what your good foot can do. You knew what kicking felt like and your muscles repeated the brain signals for the other foot. Dawson doesn't have this foundational motor mechanism, you can see it in just about every kick. He's reverted to drop kicking half volleys, the least accurate way of directing a kick. So yes, you can learn, but you cannot add motor triggers that aren't there. He's not entirely hopeless, he's just not a natural kicker.

Hats off for the depth and technicality. But I'm still not sold that improvements cannot be made without the requisite attention to detail and repetition.

2 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

I would say always pick your best player if possible , no doubt westwood is the best keeper but I don’t know the full story of what’s going on.

wildsmith must be wondering who he needs to suck off to get a chance though, that’s for sure......

I remember two years ago joe was getting the stick currently going at cameron

1 hour ago, nilsson said:

May aswell stick with Dawson now. This season is gone now anyway but he makes too many mistakes 

Im not sure as Dawson has been in and out of the team but theyve probably all happened within about 30ish appearances. And that ratio of errors to games is frightening. In fact I can’t recall another Wednesday keeper in my 38 years of supporting that’s been so obviously at fault for so many goals in such a short space of time. 

He can’t even use the excuse of being a kid... what is he now, 24? 

Anyway, at least we haven’t just given him a really long new contract.... :duntmatter:

• Like 1

I went westwood quite simply he’s the best keeper

if monk or somebody else senior has made a decision to banish him like hutchinson instead of leaving fans to squabble it out I think they should make a statement

were all guessing on why he’s not in the team to be fair I can buy into the think he’s too big to be on the bench and a few big timers but just out then as such 

too many mistakes and weak links in our squad for me to not have proper answers 

we banished both hutch and westwood last year and become rubbish it cost us our season effectively 

as it all ready cost us this season because I’m not having a 1-1 draw with I can’t buy a win Barnsley when we are push overs in centre mid and our keeper gifts them a goal especially when we have the tools on our pay role to stop that 

Make a statement and terminate their contracts or play them because today was utter garbage 

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Do you think that post was simply a well done boys good win? If so, why has he not done the same before or even similar to our defeats?

You're also pretty naive if you dont think everyone hasn't had a cheeky beer and drove home lol

Just waiting for the past 3 month negfest from you now :ph34r:

Because if he did it when we lost it would look like he was sticking the knife in.  

Easy peasyScreenshot_20200208-182424_Twitter.thumb.jpg.2bf93565b9e1f3b28f7dcd40193cee02.jpg

The key twister? Could here you shouting on the TV. Which is designed to recieve replies from fans as you shouldn't be watching us on TV you should be playing. Which is exactly what it got.

Like I said, twisting the knife.

This is possibly the most ludicrous post I have ever seen on Owlstalk and that is some chuffing achievement. Wow just wow. 

Westwood may be a bad egg. Hutch may be too. Maybe Jos and Monk are terrible man managers who can’t handle strong characters.  Maybe it’s a bit of both.

But this proves 2 tenths of sweet FA. 

Guest Ferkorf

Was told this via an ex Pig youth player work friend who knows a current first teamer.

Maybe one of the two exaggerated a little lol

It happens mate, I once fixed Lloyd Owusus car stereo system and he said he would leave me a free ticket at the players entrance away at gillingham.

He lied...

I ended up getting a good hiding in their end when we equalised in 90th min lol

In all my seasons watching us I have never seen so many howlers leading to goals by the defenders and goalkeepers.

2 years ago most of us were saying how we had the best keeper in the division in Westwood and really good young keepers Wildsmith and Dawson.

Fast forward to this season and both Westwood and Dawson have both made some poor mistakes costing us points and reading on here it sounds like Wildsmith has gone backwards.

The defenders are dropping clangers right, left and centre and it looks like there is very little communication between goalkeeper and defenders.

Andy Rhodes has moved on and it does make you question if he was a bigger influence on the goalkeepers than many of us realised.

Not sure who our defensive coach is or even if we have one but there appears to be problems in that area also.