Welsh76

Early Bird Season Ticket Deadline

I forgot. Had family stuff happening and it just never occurred to me the deadline was 10th of fuckingfebruaryforfuckssake.

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If the stuff about Utd affects whether you get a season ticket or not then perhaps you are better off not going. They told us they were 'light-years ahead when they got promoted in 2006......swings and roundabouts that sort of thing. In the 70's they had players their fans still speak of now, Currie, Woodward, while we were at our worst. By 1979 that had turned around.

I get your point but I think this is a different scenario. In 1975 when the gap was at its widest we hadn’t already spent 20 years outside the top division with no apparent prospect of that changing anytime soon.

Also the hype,  coverage and money the Premier League gets is different from the old First Division. It makes the gap into an apparent chasm. 

I’m not saying things can’t change - there’s plenty of ex-Premier League clubs that have sunk - but it can’t help the current mood - on top of everything else that’s going on. 

Edited by rickygoo
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Manwithastick said:

I forgot. Had family stuff happening and it just never occurred to me the deadline was 10th of fuckingfebruaryforfuckssake.

you could still buy online this morning ... which itself smacks of a desperation for cash flow

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If the stuff about Utd affects whether you get a season ticket or not then perhaps you are better off not going. They told us they were 'light-years ahead when they got promoted in 2006......swings and roundabouts that sort of thing. In the 70's they had players their fans still speak of now, Currie, Woodward, while we were at our worst. By 1979 that had turned around.

I agree on the hope and the style of play but if you've had a season ticket for 20,30,40+ years then you've seen a lot worse. If the style of play continues for the next 3 months I can't see Chansiri sticking with him in the summer and with some high earners off the books this summer there is a chance of something different.

The timing of the deadline is wrong for me though., not sure what purpose it serves when the transfer window doesn't open until July and the club have moved the accounting period to the summer as well, all it does is understandably make some fans cynical about the reasoning behind it. 

Agree with everything here.

15 minutes ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

you could still buy online this morning ... which itself smacks of a desperation for cash flow

Taken down now:sad:

11 hours ago, vulva said:

I used to see season tickets as a badge of honour, but now see them as a badge of stupidity. To be logging on late at night to throw more money at a failed business model 6 months before the product is known, ready or due is just stupid. The whole thing is starting to anger me, and I have genuine respect for those that have the mental resolve to say enough to is enough. 

I don't think buying an early bird  season ticket as anything to do with buying into a failed business model its more its the cheapest way to watch your club ……

11 hours ago, vulva said:

I used to see season tickets as a badge of honour, but now see them as a badge of stupidity. To be logging on late at night to throw more money at a failed business model 6 months before the product is known, ready or due is just stupid. The whole thing is starting to anger me, and I have genuine respect for those that have the mental resolve to say enough to is enough. 

Think this a little over the top.
Think a lot of people go to the games as its a chance to meet family and friends and have a shared interest.

I renewed.  Rest of the lads aren't so I'm on my tod.  Time to inflict it on start bringing the little ones more regularly I think.

Comments about the Bleats shouldn’t feature in any decision about a ST - They and Wolves have shown what is possible in a short space of time

a.  Spend a shitload of money BUT spend it wisely on skilful players that build a team or

b. Find a fantastic manager who can turn L1 players into Premier League.  

They have both left us trailing massively and the current PL finances make any comparison to previous times completely irrelevant.  we are literally not in their league at present.  The Prince has seen his ‘£10 mill investment’ in the Bleats rise tenfold with promotion.

That said I’m only interested in Wednesday and yes it’s pretty poo at the moment but if you can’t be optimistic watching football then why would you go.  We’ve won one cup since 1935 why should there be any realistic expectation of changing that.  

I’ve renewed by the way.

Edited by Heeleyowl

12 hours ago, WadsleyOwl said:

I couldn’t have put it better myself and for the very same reasons I’ve not renewed either. 

See where we are in July. 

I've had a ST for over 30 years, and I'm in last year of my three year ST, but I'm holding fire till I know if the EFL relegate us because I ain't paying those prices to watch league one football. 

6 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I've had a ST for over 30 years, and I'm in last year of my three year ST, but I'm holding fire till I know if the EFL relegate us because I ain't paying those prices to watch league one football. 

Good call..

Every chance we will be watching 3rd division football next season..

:Chansiri:

43 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Which is a sensible approach and one of the reasons I'm waiting before committing this season.

3 hours ago, Manwithastick said:

Sure if you explained your circumstances to the ticket office they'd make an exception and put it through for you a few hours late

4 hours ago, vulva said:

One thing about early renewals is that it puts us first in the queue for the cream of the crop. Let’s not forget that was the reason this buying of season tickets nearly 200 days before the season starts kicked off in the first place.  

Fact. 

The first time we brought forward the deadline the entire money received between February and May was used to repay a 3m loan taken the previous October

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Fact. 

The first time we brought forward the deadline the entire money received between February and May was used to repay a 3m loan taken the previous October

Not Tommy Miller? FFS. 

6 hours ago, bladeshater said:

I buy my season tickets not because of who the chairman is who the manager is I SUPPORT SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY because that's my club

It is a fair point and I have consistently renewed over the last 20 years despite how the Club was being run. Had a few wobbles in the early 2000's but being honest my kids were young and to prove what a dreadful parent I am, I retained it so every fortnight or so I could escape for a few hours.

The late 2000's well I was part of a group of delusional idiots fed up of the Club being in a mess that the fans could do no worse. 

Thankfully Mandaric took over and stabilised it. This time with the current owner it just smacks of a missed opportunity to build a platform and never be in the same predicament again. Anyone confident on that ?

Perhaps it's an age thing and the travel that accompanies me going to home games. Not sure I have the inner fire, the whelm factor to keep the season ticket commitment. 

Throw in the red button, Sky games and it makes it easier. I will still get a membership and be up the majority of weekend games - because I will absolutely miss it otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Heeleyowl said:

We’ve won one cup since 1935 why should there be any realistic expectation of changing that.  

I’ve renewed by the way.

I'm pretty sure we won a cup in 1991!

I've also renewed by the way.

I wonder if Garrido has renewed??

• Haha 1

It seems many of us have struggled with the same thoughts over renewing, and most have gone with the heart rather than the head and done it, it's the Wednesday way I suppose, though many other clubs supporters have stuck with their clubs too and been even less successful than Wednesday, it's the hope that kills you. I started going regularly as a lad when we were at our lowest ebb back in the mid 70s, just used to go for the laugh really but caught the bug, now I go with my grandson and my son and have renewed for us all so as not to feel like I have let them down, they might hate me for that in a few months time though !