Barnsley - V - Wednesday OMDT

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Total and utter overreaction.

We’ll soon win a few.

And then lose a few.

Because that is what a mid table team does.

When was the last time we played well or you enjoyed watching us? 

We have played Hull, Cardiff, Leeds, Wigan, Barnsley, Stoke, Blackburn and Millwall and have won 1. Who do you think we will beat on current form?

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

When was the last time we played well or you enjoyed watching us? 

We have played Hull, Cardiff, Leeds, Wigan, Barnsley, Stoke, Blackburn and Millwall and have won 1. Who do you think we will beat on current form?

I wouldn’t fall over in amazement if we won our next 5.

Nor would I if we only got 5 points.

Who thought we’d win at Leeds?

Whilst I don’t think we were great in most of those matches, we certainly had the better chances against Hull, Cardiff and even today.

The only match we were never in was Blackburn, all of the others could’ve gone either way.

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I wouldn’t fall over in amazement if we won our next 5.

Nor would I if we only got 5 points.

Who thought we’d win at Leeds?

Whilst I don’t think we were great in most of those matches, we certainly had the better chances against Hull, Cardiff and even today.

The only match we were never in was Blackburn, all of the others could’ve gone either way.

The bits in bold

1. :tango:
  2. Nobody who watched the first half of that game
  3. Hull was a dire game, Cardiff scored two early on and let us have the ball after that, the result certainly never looked like going our way. Clutching at straws on todays performance, we had 1 other decent chance we could have scored from but were 2nd best for the 2nd time in two weeks against a team in the bottom 3.

Listened on iFollow. Monk chose an attacking lineup. We were likely to be overrun in midfield (with only Joey being a defensive midfielder) unless we kept the ball well and passed it accurately. Sounded as though we did not do either of these things. Being overrun, we panicked and fouled too often. Fortunately, Barnsley did not take their chances. We need a better balance but desperately need a quality defensive midfielder. Bannan needs to play further forward. Hopefully, Fox will be fit for next game, so Palmer to RB and Iorfa to centre half. Four attacking forwards who aren't good at tackling is too many, especially away from home. Monk took a chance with this lineup but it didn't work.  Dawson sounded ok other than his mistake for their goal, please don't crucify the lad.

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Our players were good enough first half of the season to compete in this league. We shouldn't fall off the cliff with the loss of one player. We have been 2nd best against sides in the bottom 6 since Christmas. 

Other teams cope without spending money, blaming Carlos 3 seasons after he left is letting others off the hook. 

We are playing aimlessly. Barnsley, Wigan, Hull, Millwall don't have a lot of quality at this level, at least they played against us with tactics that give the players they have a chance and look like they have a tactical approach.

We look like we are going through the motions and have done for 2 months or more. It is the responsibility of the manager to not allow that to happen.

Player power - the worst thing in football. Doesn't matter who your manager is, if they don't want to play, they won't. I like that Monk has told it like it is, there are some players in that dressing room that are a disgrace. 

4 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

If you have 4 promotions from the championship to your name then yes fans are sure to give you time. If you've achieved nothing then you'll get less slack. Harsh perhaps but its inevitable that, that is the way it will be.

There is more than a slight age difference. Bruce’s early career in management was very poor.

In fairness we should be prepared to give Monk some time to overhaul his squad.

If not we might finish up grubbing around league 1 with manager after manager for years until we have a lucky find like our near neighbour.

4 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Player power - the worst thing in football. Doesn't matter who your manager is, if they don't want to play, they won't. I like that Monk has told it like it is, there are some players in that dressing room that are a disgrace. 

So he has supposedly sidelined them, yet the level of performance continues to be unacceptable.

So he has supposedly sidelined them, yet the level of performance continues to be unacceptable.

He has had to replace them with inferior players (bar the loan signings) that we have in this terrible squad (which did OK 3 years ago). Guardiola couldn't do nothing with this squad. 

If the squad is good, where are the medals and trophies to prove it?

You don't get nothing for being 'almost rans'. Too much sentiment bandied around this squad - if they are good they will win and get promoted, if not, then they weren't really that good. Our philosophy with this squad is 'If plan A fails, revert to plan A' - we need a massive clear out. Chansiri's gamble failed. 

We have had 1 manager in the last god knows how many years that was allowed to spend big (he failed, but got us closer than the rest) now we have to watch his expensive failure of a squad (who aren't getting any better as they get older) because nobody will take any of them off our hands. Anyone who thinks this squad is anything other than a mid championship squad (regardless of manager) is deluded. The harsh reality. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

He has had to replace them with inferior players (bar the loan signings) that we have in this terrible squad (which did OK 3 years ago). Guardiola couldn't do nothing with this squad. 

If the squad is good, where are the medals and trophies to prove it?

You don't get nothing for being 'almost rans'. Too much sentiment bandied around this squad - if they are good they will win and get promoted, if not, then they weren't really that good. Our philosophy with this squad is 'If plan A fails, revert to plan A' - we need a massive clear out. Chansiri's gamble failed. 

We have had 1 manager in the last god knows how many years that was allowed to spend big (he failed, but got us closer than the rest) now we have to watch his expensive failure of a squad (who aren't getting any better as they get older) because nobody will take any of them off our hands. Anyone who thinks this squad is anything other than a mid championship squad (regardless of manager) is deluded. The harsh reality. 

It is a mid-table squad but the way we are going we will finish lower than that.

Bruce got them playing decent, effective football, so did Monk in the first half of the season but he has failed to change to a plan B. It is not acceptable to have a plan A and keep persisting with it when you have admitted yourself it is not working and the players are not giving you their all. He said post match we played decent today and were a threat, we were a threat twice and were 2nd best to a team that will likely be relegated.

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It is a mid-table squad but the way we are going we will finish lower than that.

Bruce got them playing decent, effective football, so did Monk in the first half of the season but he has failed to change to a plan B. It is not acceptable to have a plan A and keep persisting with it when you have admitted yourself it is not working and the players are not giving you their all. He said post match we played decent today and were a threat, we were a threat twice and were 2nd best to a team that will likely be relegated.

Bruce was here for 5 minutes, signed some good players but didn't spend money. If there is one thing about Monk it's that he changes plan too much, formation, line-ups. The thing that doesn't change is that these players are poor and we can't change them. The league table doesn't lie. Now it is coming out that some players are destabilising the squad - that isn't Monks fault. I would love an honest list of players from this squad that Monk would retain given the choice. If this chairman wants promotion he needs to take the shackles off and let Monk decides who he wants to retain, then release or accept offers on the rest and let Monk sign his own squad. 

When I say change plan - I mean the club in general - each manager having to use the previous managers dross in a system that they don't fit is never going to work. 

A Derby game is different, the form book goes out of the window, players play for bragging rights. Ours don't, but it hasn't been just one game. Look at our squad, how many would you retain if you were manager, I'm sure your formation, tactics, and line up would be different from Monks - could you motivate this lot, or make them do something they are incapable of doing? You can't polish a turd. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Bruce was here for 5 minutes, signed some good players but didn't spend money. If there is one thing about Monk it's that he changes plan too much, formation, line-ups. The thing that doesn't change is that these players are poor and we can't change them. The league table doesn't lie. Now it is coming out that some players are destabilising the squad - that isn't Monks fault. I would love an honest list of players from this squad that Monk would retain given the choice. If this chairman wants promotion he needs to take the shackles off and let Monk decides who he wants to retain, then release or accept offers on the rest and let Monk sign his own squad. 

When I say change plan - I mean the club in general - each manager having to use the previous managers dross in a system that they don't fit is never going to work. 

A Derby game is different, the form book goes out of the window, players play for bragging rights. Ours don't, but it hasn't been just one game. Look at our squad, how many would you retain if you were manager, I'm sure your formation, tactics, and line up would be different from Monks - could you motivate this lot, or make them do something they are incapable of doing? You can't polish a turd. 

They did it for 3 months under Bruce and half a season under Monk. He loses  player and it all caves in. he may change line-ups and formations but the tactics are the same regardless and it is poor. 

15 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

They did it for 3 months under Bruce and half a season under Monk. He loses  player and it all caves in. he may change line-ups and formations but the tactics are the same regardless and it is poor. 

I agree that it is poor, is it Monk losing possession, missing chances, sitting too deep, making goalkeeping errors, not making decent crosses, not tracking back, making terrible passes? Was the above all Bruce? 

18 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fletcher, Palmer, Luongo, FF, Fox.

Players like Lee coming back from long term injuries

All he's got us shoe-ins out of position, that's a recipe for disaster.

We have no depth of squad and a bunch of prima Donnas who when they get told to shape up spit the dummy apparently.

A dose of reality needed all round me thinks.

5 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

I agree that it is poor, is it Monk losing possession, missing chances, sitting too deep, making goalkeeping errors, not making decent crosses, not tracking back, making terrible passes? Was the above all Bruce? 

No, the above wasn't all Bruce but as I say Monk loses 1 key player and it all caves in because no matter what formation or side he picks, he plays the same tactics which have been ineffective without Fletcher. Monk is looking 1-dimensional in terms of style of play. 

2 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Fletcher, Palmer, Luongo, FF, Fox.

Players like Lee coming back from long term injuries

All he's got us shoe-ins out of position, that's a recipe for disaster.

We have no depth of squad and a bunch of prima Donnas who when they get told to shape up spit the dummy apparently.

A dose of reality needed all round me thinks.

Luongo has been in and out all season, we got results without him early on. Fox only git injured last week so his absence can't be used as an excuse for form since Christmas. Forestieri wasn't playing when we were top 6 this season. 

Monk looks like he can't adapt to a different style of play since we have lost Fletcher. We have played the same way but it looks dire and gets poor results because none of the other forwards can play that role.

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Luongo has been in and out all season, we got results without him early on. Fox only git injured last week so his absence can't be used as an excuse for form since Christmas. Forestieri wasn't playing when we were top 6 this season. 

Monk looks like he can't adapt to a different style of play since we have lost Fletcher. We have played the same way but it looks dire and gets poor results because none of the other forwards can play that role.

Sounds to me more like the players can't adapt.

I'd suggest it's the players set in their ways not the manager. A players career is a continual development. Some of this shower think they've done it all and can cruise. Players who can't or won't be coached in new ideas and methods are no use to us.

No, the above wasn't all Bruce but as I say Monk loses 1 key player and it all caves in because no matter what formation or side he picks, he plays the same tactics which have been ineffective without Fletcher. Monk is looking 1-dimensional in terms of style of play. 

Who else does he pick, what would you have him do, he has changed everything and these players are not working. Then when they stop working they start to ***** (whilst still picking up a wage). Like I said Guardiola couldn't do anything with this shambles - you seem to have ignored that from a previous post.