Barnsley - V - Wednesday OMDT

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How is it irrelevant in a match day thread when we are discussing the performance and form of the team?

How do you think we played today?

Read back and hopefully you will see why it is irrelevant, especially as I believe I made myself clear.

I was challenging a comment you made, to which you responded, this satisfied my query.

Cheers...

17 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Reach has proved one of our most consistent and productive attacking outlets when played on the left

Bury your head in the sand all you want. Your acceptance of mediocrity is part of the problem 

I am not accepting it at all.

Constantly changing managers has failed for over 20 years.

You said that today was the first day that you’ve wondered about Monk. Your words.

your two main gripes then appear to be not playing Reach on the left and not playing Iorfa and Borner as the centre half pairing.

But Windass scored, Forestieri was our best player - so do I see that as an obvious error? Definitely not.  Furthermore, his omission from the bench gives doubt about his availability.

Barring a major goalkeeping error, the defence kept a clean sheet.  So do I think that decision cost us? No

I think the major issue today was midfield. Lee is a shadow of his former self. Is that Monk’s fault? Did Monk give him the contract?

Pelepussy isn’t good enough. Is that Monk’s fault.

Luongo is injured and has had constant niggles since we signed him. Is that Monk’s fault?

Hutch has now been frozen out by the second manager in two years. Is that Monk’s fault, not sure.

As for having my head in the sand - it is actually any Wednesday fan that thinks a team with those midfield choices is top 6 material - that has their head under the sand. 6 foot under I would say.

Next four games are all against lower teams and should have been winnable, but after today, it'd be a brave man (stupid?) to back us against the bottom of the table, especially as we have a knack for playing awful against poor sides away. Then we have a horrendous run of games and we'll get mullered if we play like today.

Sad to say it, but we don't look like anything like a side that is going to challenge for that 6th spot. Totally different side post Xmas, when we were looking like a strong bet for a playoff finish. That Rhodes hat-trick seems an awfully long time ago now. 

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Our players were good enough first half of the season to compete in this league. We shouldn't fall off the cliff with the loss of one player. We have been 2nd best against sides in the bottom 6 since Christmas. 

Other teams cope without spending money, blaming Carlos 3 seasons after he left is letting others off the hook. 

We are playing aimlessly. Barnsley, Wigan, Hull, Millwall don't have a lot of quality at this level, at least they played against us with tactics that give the players they have a chance and look like they have a tactical approach.

We look like we are going through the motions and have done for 2 months or more. It is the responsibility of the manager to not allow that to happen.

They don’t have quality.

But they have an extremely fit and healthy squad.

They do not have the oldest squad in the division. We do and that is a fact.

This squad doesn’t have the legs, doesn’t have the fitness and certainly doesn’t have the desire to challenge over 46 matches to be in the top 6. None of that is the fault of the manager.

If we still have the same issues in 12 months, then fair enough. But this endless cycle of new managers who in turn want different players and different systems will get us absolutely nowhere.

4 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

Read back and hopefully you will see why it is irrelevant, especially as I believe I made myself clear.

I was challenging a comment you made, to which you responded, this satisfied my query.

Cheers...

Read back through your posts in this MATCHDAY thread. Can't really see you passing much of an opinion other than being critical of posters in a couple of posts for criticising the team.

Enjoy your football! Feel free to comment on how we performed in the match in this match day thread. 

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I am not accepting it at all.

Constantly changing managers has failed for over 20 years.

You said that today was the first day that you’ve wondered about Monk. Your words.

your two main gripes then appear to be not playing Reach on the left and not playing Iorfa and Borner as the centre half pairing.

But Windass scored, Forestieri was our best player - so do I see that as an obvious error? Definitely not.  Furthermore, his omission from the bench gives doubt about his availability.

Barring a major goalkeeping error, the defence kept a clean sheet.  So do I think that decision cost us? No

I think the major issue today was midfield. Lee is a shadow of his former self. Is that Monk’s fault? Did Monk give him the contract?

Pelepussy isn’t good enough. Is that Monk’s fault.

Luongo is injured and has had constant niggles since we signed him. Is that Monk’s fault?

Hutch has now been frozen out by the second manager in two years. Is that Monk’s fault, not sure.

As for having my head in the sand - it is actually any Wednesday fan that thinks a team with those midfield choices is top 6 material - that has their head under the sand. 6 foot under I would say.

Absolve him of blame all you want, that’s clearly your agenda.

You seem to think I’m taking a out playing Reach on the left today...but he was injured

Monk has a big problem - he can’t see what’s right in front of him. Seems you have the same issue

7 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

They don’t have quality.

But they have an extremely fit and healthy squad.

They do not have the oldest squad in the division. We do and that is a fact.

This squad doesn’t have the legs, doesn’t have the fitness and certainly doesn’t have the desire to challenge over 46 matches to be in the top 6. None of that is the fault of the manager.

If we still have the same issues in 12 months, then fair enough. But this endless cycle of new managers who in turn want different players and different systems will get us absolutely nowhere.

Cab't excuse current performances by way of an aging squad. How many players that started the last 3 games are over 30?

18 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Made the worst side in the division look world class.

Disgusting performance.

Monk is getting me worried now. I thought it was just the players. Nagging doubts creeping in now, that Monk isn't helping.

I can't really argue with that assessment. I managed to catch the last 15 mins on the link and it looked a shambles with very weak body language. All we can do is hope is that they manage to sort their shy te out. We've just got to be patient and see what the summer brings.

28 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Well Gary you should know now, all your personal spats, Pride comes before a fall, selection has cost you and us, 2 more valuable points.

All the football knowledge in the world won't help you if you can't manage conflict and disagreement.

How do you know he hasn't tried and some players have said F you. 

Fact is you don't know anything about what has gone on yet you are prepared to throw our manager under the bus.

The count of managers unable to answer the question is now up to five since Carlos arrived.

4 minutes ago, Suffolk.Owl said:

Controversial I know but for me all the back room team has to go, they’ve also been ever presents over the past few years, times up need fresh new outlook 

It shouldn't be seen as controversial at all you are totally correct, i have never known owt like it.

10 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Absolve him of blame all you want, that’s clearly your agenda.

You seem to think I’m taking a out playing Reach on the left today...but he was injured

Monk has a big problem - he can’t see what’s right in front of him. Seems you have the same issue

Sorry my mistake.

you said today was the first time you have wondered about Monk.  I can clearly see that after that comment and then criticising monk for not playing Reach on the left - I should’ve realised you were talking about months ago.

So after all of that, clearly today wasn’t the first time you’ve wondered about Monk was it?

My only agenda, is to see a winning football team. After studying the Numerous changes over the last two decades - it’s become clear to me it doesn’t work.

it simply wastes the already scant resources we have.  If you still can’t see that after two decades of abjetc failure then maybe it’s not me that can’t see what’s right in front of them.

I do love how this morning you had no doubts about Monk and then after an away draw you appear so certain he’s not the man.

i believe the word is fickle.

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

How many did Monk sign?

How many does Monk want?

How many are good enough for a top 6 first XI?

Sick of this an a supposed excuse as well. How many players did Monk expect to be able to sign when he took over? The football world and his dog knows our financial position.

If you don't like what you have to work with when considering taking a job at a club with a financial predicament like ours then don't take the job.

Most aren't good enough for top 6, which reflects our current position but we are on the slide and could be in trouble with a points deduction and we don't look like winning games. 

There doesn't seem to be a tactical approach to our play, it is certainly not effective.   

27 minutes ago, keefdave said:

More likely that we haven't got a midfield that drives forward to support them.

This all day long, today we had no cohesion, we were just 11 blokes kicking a ball around, we couldn't string 3 passes together.

We needed Bannan to put a foot on it and attempt to interlink play, but he wasn't on it today.

Credit to Barnsley though, they chased everything and limited our space......but we were poor, hopefully it'll get better for. the new signings with more game time.

on a side note........I think Da Cruz is a no 9.

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Sick of this an a supposed excuse as well. How many players did Monk expect to be able to sign when he took over? The football world and his dog knows our financial position.

If you don't like what you have to work with when considering taking a job at a club with a financial predicament like ours then don't take the job.

Most aren't good enough for top 6, which reflects our current position but we are on the slide and could be in trouble with a points deduction and we don't look like winning games. 

There doesn't seem to be a tactical approach to our play, it is certainly not effective.   

Your sick of the players not being good enough used as an excuse? 

So in summary, no manager should’ve taken the job unless he thought he could get a group of players that aren’t good enough to be near the top of the league. We’d still be looking for a new manager now.

Maybe Monk took the job because he has faith in his ability and believes that given the opportunity to move several players in and out, he can get us pushing in the right direction.

we were over performing before Xmas. We are now underperforming. Over the course of the season we’ll end up at our mid table equilibrium.  Most football fans are too unrealistic to accept the reality.

15 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Sorry my mistake.

you said today was the first time you have wondered about Monk.  I can clearly see that after that comment and then criticising monk for not playing Reach on the left - I should’ve realised you were talking about months ago.

So after all of that, clearly today wasn’t the first time you’ve wondered about Monk was it?

My only agenda, is to see a winning football team. After studying the Numerous changes over the last two decades - it’s become clear to me it doesn’t work.

it simply wastes the already scant resources we have.  If you still can’t see that after two decades of abjetc failure then maybe it’s not me that can’t see what’s right in front of them.

I do love how this morning you had no doubts about Monk and then after an away draw you appear so certain he’s not the man.

i believe the word is fickle.

I’ve had lots of growing doubts about Monk, but today was the turning point.

I tried not to be too reactionary so I deliberately didn’t comment on questionable choices only specific to today’s game

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Your sick of the players not being good enough used as an excuse? 

So in summary, no manager should’ve taken the job unless he thought he could get a group of players that aren’t good enough to be near the top of the league. We’d still be looking for a new manager now.

Maybe Monk took the job because he has faith in his ability and believes that given the opportunity to move several players in and out, he can get us pushing in the right direction.

we were over performing before Xmas. We are now underperforming. Over the course of the season we’ll end up at our mid table equilibrium.  Most football fans are too unrealistic to accept the reality.

No, I'm sick of the excuse that every manager needs his own set of players before he can be judged. Steve Bruce didn't need a new set of players to get something out of this team and even Bullen's stats this season will soon be favourably comparable to Monk's.

I didn't expect us to be top 6 but I don't expect us to finish as high as we are even now as I can't see a result coming. I do expect the manager to be able to adopt a preferred defined style of approach with what he has to work with, I can't see that now.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

No, I'm sick of the excuse that every manager needs his own set of players before he can be judged. Steve Bruce didn't need a new set of players to get something out of this team and even Bullen's stats this season will soon be favourably comparable to Monk's.

I didn't expect us to be top 6 but I don't expect us to finish as high as we are even now as I can't see a result coming. I do expect the manager to be able to adopt a preferred defined style of approach with what he has to work with, I can't see that now.

Total and utter overreaction.

We’ll soon win a few.

And then lose a few.

Because that is what a mid table team does.