This needs to change

11 hours ago, nilsson said:

We don’t have four 22 year olds that have played every game though... that’s the issue.

That table is pretty poor and you can’t really defend it. A result of short term recruitment under DC.

We’re not a club with a great track record of playing under 23s and bringing youth through. Chris Turner and Jos did but it didn’t work out well for either of them. 

Even in the early 90s, Bart Williams would have been the only under 23 getting any game time for us?

Gordon Watson, Nigel Jemson, Phil King, Jon Newsome, Paul Warhurst, Mike Williams, Dean Barrick and John Harkes all off the top of my head, were 23 or under in the early 90's, as was David Weatherall, but I don't think he ever made an appearance.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Spot on in my opinion - the players who we thought were good enough are not quite as good as we initially thought 

I think once the coaches deem any one good enough from 17- 19 - they need to get as many league games as possible on loan 

The u23 league halts progress if you spend too much time in it 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, torres said:

I think once the coaches deem any one good enough from 17- 19 - they need to get as many league games as possible on loan 

The u23 league halts progress if you spend too much time in it 

Hence why Reserve Team football needs bringing back but that's another debate entirely

Edited by soldierboyblue

22 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Also I forgot about Graham Hyde, and even Hirsty was only 23 in 1990.

I was thinking more around the 92-94 period when we had our best team. Majority of that side was in their late 20s or 30s.

Who was the manager at Wednesday when we released Vardy? Would it have been Yorath or Turner? What a decision that was

6 minutes ago, nilsson said:

I was thinking more around the 92-94 period when we had our best team. Majority of that side was in their late 20s or 30s.

Who was the manager at Wednesday when we released Vardy? Would it have been Yorath or Turner? What a decision that was

Ryan Jones, Simon Stewart, Julian Watts, Lee Briscoe, Adem Poric, also Lance Key but don't think he played?

All were squad players really, although Ryan Jones had a decent run in the side.

14 hours ago, nilsson said:

We don’t have four 22 year olds that have played every game though... that’s the issue.

That table is pretty poor and you can’t really defend it. A result of short term recruitment under DC.

We’re not a club with a great track record of playing under 23s and bringing youth through. Chris Turner and Jos did but it didn’t work out well for either of them. 

Even in the early 90s, Bart Williams would have been the only under 23 getting any game time for us?

The point I was making is that the teams above us are hardly the second coming of the Man Utd golden generation.  If a team was playing 11 24 year olds it would be a young team, but would impact that table. It’s a pretty pointless exercise. 

7 hours ago, nilsson said:

For the last time, Vardy was released because he was a proper reprobate until his early twenties. He spent most of his nights at the pub coked off his face and had an ankle tag when we let him go.