Another reyt neet - best I’ve seen us EVER!

15 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

I watched this game on TV and as a young boy decided this was the team for me.  A slightly off the wall choice for someone growing up in the South and with no-one in my family supporting Wednesday.  Luckily for me my Dad (a Gillingham fan) got on board straight away and so did my younger brother.  It certainly wasn't the easiest option I could go for but I didn't want to support the same teams as everyone else at school.

I feel a bit like someone who was missold PPI but I'm not sure there are any routes for me to claim a refund.  I definitely bought into the Wednesday stock at its peak but there have been plenty of ups and downs to keep us entertained over the years.  Once you pick your team there is no going back :)

Edited by captain bucky o'hare
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, captain bucky o'hare said:

I watched this game on TV and as a young boy decided this was the team for me.  A slightly off the wall choice for someone growing up in the South and with no-one in my family supporting Wednesday.  Luckily for me my Dad (a Gillingham fan) got on board straight away and so did my younger brother.  It certainly wasn't the easiest option I could go for but I didn't want to support the same teams as everyone else at school.

I feel a bit like someone who was missold PPI but I'm not sure there are any routes for me to claim a refund.  I definitely bought into the Wednesday stock at its peak but there have been plenty of ups and downs to keep us entertained over the years.  Once you pick your team there is no going back :)

I am crying with and for you......WAWAW

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

On 06/02/2020 at 13:11, royalowlisback said:

Was it the 2nd leg where Roland Nilsson inexplicably passed the ball back without looking and hit the post, or have I dreamt that?

if it was then he was warming up for the semi final the season after when he inexplicably rolled the ball back for giggs in the first leg at old Trafford 

On 06/02/2020 at 11:44, Birstall Owl said:

Guy with the crutches still tickles me

On 06/02/2020 at 12:54, brian joicey said:

he is/was on here :ghoulguy:

My mate Reg, he was in my shop a few weeks back.

To say he is old school would be under selling him.

That night was one of my top 5 away days and i can't recall the other 4.

• Haha 1

I watched that on TV in my sitting room in Jersey.

It was the most awesome 30 minutes of football I have ever seen any team produce never mind us.

Luckily I was able to make the second leg at Hillsborough where after a shaky start (and Nilsson's kitten inducing moment) we ran out 2-1 winners on the day and a very comfortable 6-3 on aggregate.

Edited by Utah Owl

Have said for a long time , we should not bother playing games anymore as our younger fans will never see football as good as we saw like this game. I am sad for them, but also of course a bit glad as all older folk are when we talk about how much better it was in our day. I find this especially resonates when I talk about how cheap my house was to buy back in the day.

it would be much better if we instead took out the seats and go back to terraces, and get some massive screens on the pitch and show games like this on them. On special occasions we can show compilations as well like ‘ Best Varadi goals’ , ‘ best Graham Hyde tackles’ and my favourite ‘ longest Ian Cranson passes’ . Charge a fiver to get in , allow smoking, only play music from 1995 or earlier, get that little bloke with the score thing on the touchline hanging his numbers next to those letters etc.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

As soon as I saw the title I thought, that'll be Blackburn. There are no words to describe that first half, and no way of telling young fans of today what an atmosphere it was.  

When I walk out of Hillsborough these days, seeing nowt but miserable faces ( aftet watching miserable feces) at least the older ones,like me, witnessed Wednesday  when we actually meant something other than the club where those liverpool fans died.

God Waddle!!

• Thanks 1

On 06/02/2020 at 12:57, brian joicey said:

i have to question tho (for us older owls), was this better than blackburn away 1980 (promotion clinching night) . by that i mean the occasion not the performance ?????

i'd vote 1980 ........

Great shout. But for me this was better.

Undoubtedly one of my favourite away games and it was  certainly surreal standing under the skeleton of the roof on the away end.

Twenty minutes of the most sublime football I’ve ever seen us play with Warhurst’s instinctive forward play and finishing impossible to defend against.