And some of our supporters think we aren't a big club

9 hours ago, Jon Newsome said:

We aren't a big club, well supported but we've won very little post war and with the way modern football is, we are going to have a generation of people thinking clubs like Watford, Bournemouth and Burnley are bigger clubs than us. 

When I was growing up Blackburn, Bolton, Charlton and Reading were all Premier League outfits. We idolised their players but were under no illusions as to who was the bigger club. 

14 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We've been garbage for so long but we're still hanging in there

Before Chelsea and Man City got rich they had each won two titles, same as Tottenham

As for the other yorkshire clubs

Huddersfield have 3, Leeds have 3, Blunts have 1

We're still the most successful League club in Yorkshire

Don't let any of our supporters try telling you we aren't a big club, we just be sleepin'

84883390_10156605363221036_4080607475416432640_n.thumb.jpg.37747d9f0397bd1166d507a12d41c2e1.jpg

Actually Hootie we have 5 titles, People have over the years forgotten that the Football Alliance was, for that one season, of equal standing with the Football League and we won it ! 

• Thanks 2

We are a Big championship club. That's as far as it goes in this modern day, and even that is down to our ground, fan base and history.
Performance wise we are a top half championship club most would say. 

If we were promoted we would be no different to the likes of Aston Villa going up, good old fashioned club, but not a drop on the top 6. Even the Leicester are still seen as small fry, let alone outside of England.

Ironically, i'm happy with a big championship club. It's still a proper English football league (just).
The Prem sadly is nothing more than a tv show with wannabe celebrities now. Put any of the smaller clubs in the championship and they will be forgotten by tv quickly - see Huddersfield/Stoke (used to be a solid prem team)/Boro/Hull.

14 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Before Don Revie came along Leeds were just another Bradford. They were blue and yellow striped shirts, Revie came and changed everything.

Yep when you have manager like that the board backed him and they went on to win the league ,cups and euro trophies .. ..our dozy tight fisted lot had the chance to do something similar and failed twice with catterick and wilko who within 2 years of leaving us had both won the league ... I think to be big club you have to have  a board /owner that's got clout/vision  ...we never have had that since our heyday 80 odd years ago .

Wednesday could have been huge but just like the city the club has often been in the hands of the wrong people. 

We needed visionary’s at the club but sadly despite once having this (Eric Taylor, Howard Wilkinson) we let them go or didn’t match their ambition. 

Having a dog awful council hasn’t helped either. Lost trades and an inability to keep Sheffield modern and vibrant, falling behind cities like Leeds and Manchester has seen Sheffield’s stock diminish over the years. 

20 years outside the top flight is just too much ground to lose and without a generational manager or resources greater than DC and the ability to spend them, it seems the days of being a top 6 club are gone for good. 

The most realistic if indeed hard to swallow goal now should be to get back in the PL and consistently stay there. 

10 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Wednesday could have been huge but just like the city the club has often been in the hands of the wrong people. 

We needed visionary’s at the club but sadly despite once having this (Eric Taylor, Howard Wilkinson) we let them go or didn’t match their ambition. 

Having a dog awful council hasn’t helped either. Lost trades and an inability to keep Sheffield modern and vibrant, falling behind cities like Leeds and Manchester has seen Sheffield’s stock diminish over the years. 

20 years outside the top flight is just too much ground to lose and without a generational manager or resources greater than DC and the ability to spend them, it seems the days of being a top 6 club are gone for good. 

The most realistic if indeed hard to swallow goal now should be to get back in the PL and consistently stay there. 

Absolutely this!

It’s sad but true, however I do believe we’ll be back in the “big time” but that gap is just way too big between top 6 and the rest of that league. 

And you know what, if we don’t get back there and we end up in league 2, it won’t change a thing for me. I love this club and I’ll continue to follow them through thick and thin... even though I’ve probably lost years off my life through stress of supporting us. 
lol

UTO FTB WAWAW WTID 

• Like 2

Of course it comes down to how you define a big club. For me only Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal are truly big as they always have the support, stadium and never go to long without success. Everyone else in the so called big 6 has had periods of downright mediocrity and have been boosted by big money. We fall into a fairly large group who could given city type money be huge or with a great manager and wise investment could compete top half premier league and pick up the odd cup.as it is we are what we are a well supported championship club who could go up any given season but would probably struggle once there . Our neighbours have shown us it’s possible to get up and compete and although we may not be a big club anymore we will always be bigger than them 

Lived in London for a few years when I was younger,watched a few westham games if Wednesday were too far up north,they got 30k every week in the old second division,you had to get a ticket well before friday to get in.

Since relegation from the prem weve been more of a barnsley,bobed up n down between the 2nd n third division,had a thrash in the play offs,came to nowt,were as far from the premier league as we were the year we went down,missed our chance,as things stand we could yet be relegated to division 3 yet again.

The club will rise again,it always has,but it will take many years and it will be a long journey as things stand,10 years?

We should have appointed Pearson while we had the opportunity,we missed the boat,hed love this job its the one he cant resist,but temptation was never put his way

What determines "big club"status ?

Leeds, Forest & Villa always refer to themselves as big clubs but it has been years since they have accomplished anything. Does big club status last forever or is there an expiry date?

Edited by gurru991
Spelling

On 05/02/2020 at 22:12, nilsson said:

It’s good to be on the list still but using trophies we’ve won before anyone under the age of 90 was born as evidence we’re a big club is a bit of a stretch.

Basing it on league titles we’ve been sleeping since 1930

With young twins that don't sleep then think I'm due a sleep for that amount of time. 

On 06/02/2020 at 12:33, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Actually Hootie we have 5 titles, People have over the years forgotten that the Football Alliance was, for that one season, of equal standing with the Football League and we won it ! 

What year was this mate?

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

What determines "big club"status ?

Leeds, Forest & Villa always refer to themselves as big clubs but it has been years since they have accomplished anything. Does big club status last forever or is there an expiry date?

Winning European Cups?