And some of our supporters think we aren't a big club

Just now, nilsson said:

We’ve an extra 50+ years of history on Leeds. They have won it 3 times since we last won it

Before Don Revie came along Leeds were just another Bradford. They were blue and yellow striped shirts, Revie came and changed everything.

• Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

We aren't a big club, well supported but we've won very little post war and with the way modern football is, we are going to have a generation of people thinking clubs like Watford, Bournemouth and Burnley are bigger clubs than us. 

Edited by Jon Newsome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stoop said:

We’re a rusty relic that desperately needs promotion so we can drag ourselves into the 21 century. Too many clubs have overtaken us on and off the field since 2000

To do this we require strong leadership and a proper strategy to achieve our long term aim. I don't see this approach from DC. We are miles off.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jon Newsome said:

We aren't a big club, well supported but we've won very little post war and with the way modern football is, we are going to have a generation of people thinking clubs like Watford, Bournemouth and Burnley are bigger clubs than us. 

We totally missed out on the growth of football.

Look at the average attendances in the top flight from 1991/92.

We were the 4th biggest club in the country then in terms of attendance. We’re currently the 22nd biggest club in the country based on attendance.

Some clubs have found an extra 30,000 fans attending since 1991. We’ve lost about 7,000

DDB1A850-431E-4FD3-AA5C-06D6CE2F7FE9.jpeg

• Thanks 3

We really aren't a big club are we. 

One league cup win and 3 cup final defeats in 90 years isn't a big club 

No top flight league title for 90 years isn't a big club 

finishing 3rd in the Premier league once isn't a big club 

reaching the 2nd round of the uefa cup once isn't a big club 

spending the last 20 years out side the Premier league isn't a big club 

spending 28 years of my 42 years outside the top flight isn't a big club 

But its the club i love and support and that's all that matters to me 

11 hours ago, nilsson said:

It’s good to be on the list still but using trophies we’ve won before anyone under the age of 90 was born as evidence we’re a big club is a bit of a stretch.

Basing it on league titles we’ve been sleeping since 1930

We won FA Cup in 1935. I'm 89 and remember it like it was yesterday. :cool:

Rotherham Owls took a bus. lol

• Haha 3

Slightly odd OP. We all know we've won the league more than most clubs. We can be proud of that. At my mum's funeral, I was able to comment that she was onle of the fast diminishing number of people to have been born when Wednesday were champions of England.

If you say a major determinant of what makes a "big club" is past trophies, including distant past, then we are indeed a big club.

if you say a actually what makes a big club is the here and now, then we are not particularly big.

if you accept that there are clubs that might be called "big" and then a dozen or so clubs which are truly global brands, then you have to accept that we will never be in that category.

It's a pretty arbitrary phrase, but I would suggest that if it has real use it should have predictive power. We are obviously a much smaller club than Liverpool and a much bigger one than Doncaster (but nearer to Doncaster than Liverpool). That means not just current turnover, support etc, and maybe history. It also means that over the next 20 years, say, it is likely that we will finish in higher league positions than Doncaster, and lower league positions than Liverpool.

If you accept that idea that there should be predictive power, then it is easy to see that we are much smaller than was the case before the revolution. In 1990 I might have said that our prospects for the next two decades were pretty similar to W Ham, Villa, Newcastle. Whereas now I'd say our prospects are notably behind those clubs, and probably behind others (Brighton for example) which have done things we haven't: tapped a new fan base, replaced an inadequate ground, etc.

We do have fans who come across as a bit needy on this. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Before Don Revie came along Leeds were just another Bradford. They were blue and yellow striped shirts, Revie came and changed everything.

Leeds United were only formed in 1919. 
Under Revie they were best side in the country from mid 60s to mid 70s but didn't win that much. Two league titles, 1 FA Cup 1 League Cup. Were runners up in major competitions 11 times in that period. Leeds United falling apart again is nothing new!